Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 08:01 PM)
looking at some old youtube vids, Moncada looks like a butcher at 2B/3B. should be interesting.

Interesting post in this thread. A butcher? Hmmm. Teams don't win pennants with defensive butchers.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)
To be completely honest, I always envisioned the Sox getting a bigger package in return if they ever traded Sale. I guess it was unrealistic. Moncada is fantastic, it's just that this feels a little top heavy. I thought there would be more depth. That doesn't make this a bad trade, just not the "blow your socks off" kind.

They wanted more at the trade deadline, but they were never going to get it. This seems like about as good as they can do, especially considering Moncada's price to Boston.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
To be completely honest, I always envisioned the Sox getting a bigger package in return if they ever traded Sale. I guess it was unrealistic. Moncada is fantastic, it's just that this feels a little top heavy. I thought there would be more depth. That doesn't make this a bad trade, just not the "blow your socks off" kind.

Sherman said he surveyed 4 execs and all said both sides did well & it was fair.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
Now you are just being bitter. Sale's health has always been a topic of concern, especially when he would get his annual dead arm phase, his extra days off, and this year with the complete change in his pitching style to dial it back so that he could maybe stay healthy.

Every pitcher deals with those things. They had no problem leaving him out there for well over 100 pitches every start for months on end so I highly doubt they had legitimate concerns about his arm.

Edited by soxforlife05

I understand the reasoning behind the trade, and it had to be done. The franchise simply can't take being "mediocre" (at best) anymore but it's also a sickening feeling having to trade the best pitcher in the league, a generational talent because the front office wasn't smart enough or ownership wasn't willing to spend the money needed to make the team a real contender.

What can you do? On paper it sounds like they got a nice return for Chris...but they need a lot more so start dealing guys and get back as much talent as you can. Go for a full rebuild and hope these guys pan out.

Mark

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
Has it been mentioned anywhere that the Sawks are paying Moncada's entire salary? Thats what Bernstein reported on the radio.

Not salary. Signing bonus. He will make league minimum with us and go the regular control route.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)
It's not debatable. Sale was second in the league in pitches per start behind Verlander, has throw over 110 pitches 16 times! (that's half of his starts) this season, to only 7 starts for Q.

Sale's never thrown more than 226 innings in any season, which is a far cry from what guys like Madison Bumgarner and Randy Johnson have done. So the argument that Sale has been subjected to over-use is just silly to me. If they can do it and still maintain velocity late in the season, why can't Sale?

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 08:46 PM)
I understand the reasoning behind the trade, and it had to be done. The franchise simply can't take being "mediocre" (at best) anymore but it's also a sickening feeling having to trade the best pitcher in the league, a generational talent because the front office wasn't smart enough or ownership wasn't willing to spend the money needed to make the team a real contender.

What can you do? On paper it sounds like they got a nice return for Chris...but they need a lot more so start dealing guys and get back as much talent as you can. Go for a full rebuild and hope these guys pan out.

Mark

Exactly, Mark. Perfect take. Now that Sale is gone and we're a last-place team ASSURED in the Central, do as you said, "start dealing guys." There is absolutely no reason to keep any everyday player except Anderson and dealing Q and Robertson should be coming soon. Get what you can for everybody and hope it someday assembles into a winner.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Smart move by the bosox - first moment of sadness I've felt over this

That pic is like the moment you see your ex girlfriend with the new guy. Complete opposite of heart warming moment.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
Exactly, Mark. Perfect take. Now that Sale is gone and we're a last-place team ASSURED in the Central, do as you said, "start dealing guys." There is absolutely no reason to keep any everyday player except Anderson and dealing Q and Robertson should be coming soon. Get what you can for everybody and hope it someday assembles into a winner.

Whatever you think about WAR he's not the difference between 79 wins and 70. They aren't assured of anything, including the cellar.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:51 PM)
That pic is like the moment you see your ex girlfriend with the new guy. Complete opposite of heart warming moment.

Except if you and the ex were mutually dependent on each other and not actually complimenting either and were in a constant break up and make up scenario and nobody was ready to pop the question after 5 years together.

Cut your losses.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:48 PM)
Nice move of the goalposts.

You implied that Sale changing his approach to "pitching to contact" was because of injury concerns. Where's the proof?

You also implied that it's abnormal and cause for concern for a major league pitcher to experience dead arm periods.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
What, too much work for you??

@BNightengale

The #WhiteSox getting besieged with calls now for Jose Quintana, but the Sox are expected to step back, catch breath, before dealing him

If the Sox deal Quintana, they may as well nuke the entire team by dealing Abreu and Eaton as well. Because it sends the message that they're not going to even try to win for another three years.

It would be interesting, but I don't think that they deal Q and go the scorched-earth route. Too much money to lose at both the gate and negotiating table when the TV contract is up.