Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
Man did that guy on that message board nail the Sale deal or what? LOL just thought about that link that was posted and not too long a deal was struck

No kidding, to get the third piece like that was nuts. Never saw him in the discussion before.

For those of you pissed off - consider this possibility:

Moncada's cieling comps are Robinson Cano and Manny Machado

Kopech's cieling comp is Noah Syndergaard

Then you've got another prospect with a cieling comp of a starting center fielder

Round it off with another guy who you're gambling on development no through your system to a strength and into another high end starting roatation arm.

You hit on this and you've turned 3 years of Sale into 7 years of Robinson Cano and Noah Syndergaard... ++.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
Does Basabe go by his middle-name? I see he has a twin bro with the same first name but different middle name.

I vote that Basabe will go down as the single most misspelled sox name on soxtalk since buehrle (no idea if i spelled that write, I always black out after the 'e')

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
My understanding is they already paid him about 20 million of the 31 million dollar bonus. The other 31 million was tax, which the White Sox won't be paying. So in essence they got 11 million thrown into the deal. Not quite as good as 31 million but not bad either.

True. Red Sox have to pay an additional $31 Mil owed to Moncada. Supposedly this is why the package was less than Hahn originally wanted.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 06:01 PM)
This will get you excited if you weren't already:

"Scouting the White Sox’ Monster Return for Chris Sale | FanGraphs Baseball" via http://TeamStre.am by Bleacher Report

http://teamstre.am/2h312td

Well, it cannot be argued the Sox didn't get some very high upside guys. I'd argue maybe they should have been looking for more high floor guys, especially after Moncado was in the deal, but overall I'm excited and think they got fair value.

Kudos to KW and RH for ignoring the artificial trade deadline of the first day of the Winter Meetings. Congrats on acquiring the most exciting player probably since Frank Thomas. And congrats on getting some sweet revenge and using Mike Rizzo like their b****, waiting for DD to conclude he has never met a prospect he wouldn't trade,

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 06:31 PM)
LOL @ people seeing that we asked for Benintendi and Betts last year and are pissed we got this now. I mean, Boston didn't offer them last year, so it's not like we somehow screwed up by not getting them last year.

They were never going to get Betts. Maybe if they "threw in" Eaton or some s***. You could make an argument that straight up, over the next three years, you'd prefer Betts to Sale. Betts is probably top 10 league wide in trade value, he's right there with Sale.

Edited by chitownsportsfan