Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
If you mean they definitely deserve to clinch a playoff spot only to have lose their best player in the middle of the season, then sure, haha.

Honestly even "Charlotte fans getting to watch more than garbage for just 1 month" is good enough for me. They nearly made playoffs at like 15 under .500 last year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
No idea if that is latest up to date but would not be shocked if latest AFL run will lead to top 20 prospects for Kopech in the March rankings.

I think they just bumped him a few dozen spots. He was in the 60s when I looked after the trade went down.

No one else seems to have moved much though. Weird.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 06:53 PM)
Per Rick, Moncada will start in AAA. Not a ready product. Really good stuff from him.

Thank God. There's no reason not to extend to the 7th year of guaranteed control. Hell, even if he was "ready" (like Byrant) you hold him out the extra two months that's just how you play it from the club's long term perspective.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 05:00 PM)
Thank God. There's no reason not to extend to the 7th year of guaranteed control. Hell, even if he was "ready" (like Byrant) you hold him out the extra two months that's just how you play it from the club's long term perspective.

Yeah, it's something like May 15th. A little too inside baseball for me.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 05:00 PM)

If holding him out for two months, even if ready, keeps us from the playoffs this year, then apparently Rick is some sort of wizard.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)
1st time a #1 prospect has been traded?

That guy Marte on the Braves got traded but he was widely considered at the time (and certainly in hindsight) to be one of the weakest #1 overall prospects ever. From what I'm reading about Moncada, physically he's a once a decade talent and skill wise has more than enough to back up his #1 overall rating by some sites.

He's legit. He needs to pan out. Hopefully not even the Sox player development team can screw this one up.

Got married in Vegas this past weekend checked my phone as i was boarding the plane back to Chicago this morning expecting to land and see Sale traded to the nats this is a pleasant surprise. I felt the deal was one prospect light then i realized the sox are not paying a dime of the 31.5mil remaining to Yoan and it made sense, that 31.5mil value is about equal to Groome's.

Great start to the rebuild now don't half ass it and burn it all down including Eaton, hes at his peak value and if we're going to watch the kids play he has no place on this team.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)
I'll say Kopech's delivery looks a lot less high stress than that guy we just traded, but I'll defer to ptatc on that :D

He's got that classic hard thrower mechanics. I like his much more than others we've seen lately. The only thing I would really change is that his stride lands too far to the throwing arm side and that's going to lead to balance issues and command inconsistencies.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
He's got that classic hard thrower mechanics. I like his much more than others we've seen lately. The only thing I would really change is that his stride lands too far to the throwing arm side and that's going to lead to balance issues and command inconsistencies.

That is mentioned in the scouting reports we've seen.

Keith Law is GLOWING in talking about the White Sox return. Here's part of what he said on Kopech

"He missed some time in 2015 after a PED suspension, and then missed the start of 2016 after breaking his hand in an altercation with a teammate where, according to folks I’ve asked who know the full story, he was doing the right thing with the wrong result. When I saw him in October, I thought he was a potential ace who could have three plus pitches, and that’s before he went to the White Sox, who have a pretty good track record in getting the most out of athletic starters."

Apparently the 31 million dollar signing bonus, no matter how spread out, would have always been paid by the Red Sox, so they didn't really "pitch in" another 11 million or so. That's my understanding at least after reading larry's post at SSS. I don't think you can "trade" a signing bonus if that makes any sense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:22 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 56m56 minutes ago

Andrew Benintendi was never an option for #WhiteSox. Yoan Moncada was added later in process. Bregman, T. Turner never offered.

If this is true, and we have no reason to doubt it, then they did well to get the deal done with Boston today. There is an opportunity cost here and they avoided it. Now they can focus on the other dominoes behind Sale and keep moving in the rebuild.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
Apparently the 31 million dollar signing bonus, no matter how spread out, would have always been paid by the Red Sox, so they didn't really "pitch in" another 11 million or so. That's my understanding at least after reading larry's post at SSS. I don't think you can "trade" a signing bonus if that makes any sense.

Yeah, we talked about Moncada a lot in the weeks leading up to the Winter Meetings and I don't think we ever assumed anything other than the Red Sox would be paling that money. In fact, some folks thought that is the very reason they thought the Red Sox would never deal Moncada.

Not until I saw the posts and tweets saying that the Red Sox were doing us some favor by picking up money did I think otherwise.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
If this is true, and we have no reason to doubt it, then they did well to get the deal done with Boston today. There is an opportunity cost here and they avoided it. Now they can focus on the other dominoes behind Sale and keep moving in the rebuild.

With Hahn's presser, and this tweet, it makes it seem as though Kopech was offered initially, and then perhaps the Nats offer was enough to force the Red Sox into conceding Moncada.

Not sure that I believe this is the order it went in though.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
With Hahn's presser, and this tweet, it makes it seem as though Kopech was offered initially, and then perhaps the Nats offer was enough to force the Red Sox into conceding Moncada.

Not sure that I believe this is the order it went in though.

It certainly appears that the Sox finally managed to leverage one team's interest to get a better deal from another. It's not an overpay from the Red Sox but IMO it would have been an underpay from the Nationals if the rumor discussed last night was their best offer.