Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:11 PM)
That's funny. 2 days ago the Red Sox fans of the internet were saying that Moncada wasn't worthy of getting Sale. Now the trade happens and they win it. That being said, I am disappointed we missed out on another piece or 2 just so Boston would pick up all the money owed to Moncada.

They didn't send a long any cash. The signing bonus was just structured so they made three separate payments. He's still owed 11 million on that bonus from the Red Sox and they will pay it. The other 32 million they paid for him was luxury tax. In essence they traded Moncada and the the other prospects for Chris Sale at 3 years 100 million.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:35 PM)
We got a few good prospects but this deal falls far short of what a good GM could get for Sale. They better be sure Moncada is a future all-star or this is one of the worst trades in franchise history.

And I'm the board troll.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 08:35 PM)
We got a few good prospects but this deal falls far short of what a good GM could get for Sale. They better be sure Moncada is a future all-star or this is one of the worst trades in franchise history.

Ok but make up your mind, that's a different argument & obviously there's no counterfactual so you have no clue what your arbitrary "good GM" could've gotten. Versus losing Sale for nothing this obviously makes us better in year 4+. Next three years we likely lose the deal unless Sale gets hurt.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 06:59 PM)
Most Red Sox fans calling into this weei radio show saying they can't believe this is all they had to give up

Yet many other Red Sox fans think they just overpaid for a crybaby.

Everybody's got an opinion.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:05 PM)
Born May 27, 1968: Frank Thomas

Born May 27, 1995: Yoan Moncada

:)

Fangraphs had it right last summer

If Moncada is the guy they’re sending to Chicago, though, Devers’ value probably pushes the deal past what Sale is worth; his value gets you most of the way to Sale, so the second piece could be a higher risk guy like hard-throwing righty Michael Kopech (#93 BA/#83 MLB), since back-end Top 100 pitching prospects are worth about $15 million. Toss in some sweeteners on top of that, and the White Sox would at least have to think about it, as Moncada and Kopech could give them a pretty great return.

Didn't see this posted here.

Edited by iamshack

I just worry that we just traded a legit Hall of Famer in his prime on a bargain contract for two unproven prospects and didn't get one proven player in return. Love Moncandas ceiling and if he pans out as a superstar or even very good player, then the deal was probably worth it. But if he flops, we got hosed. That's my thought. To have a hall of famer in their prime on your team is a very rare thing...

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:01 PM)
I just worry that we just traded a legit Hall of Famer in his prime on a bargain contract for two unproven prospects and didn't get one proven player in return. Love Moncandas ceiling and if he pans out as a superstar or even very good player, then the deal was probably worth it. But if he flops, we got hosed. That's my thought. To have a hall of famer in their prime on your team is a very rare thing...

I just read the Boston perspective ala SoSH and of course they were dismissing Moncada and Kopech as lottery tickets, but seemed to think Devers, Swihart and Groom are locks to be perennial all stars.

Bottom line is there is certainly more risk on the White Sox side of things, however, the White Sox obviously get a high potential reward as well. The most interesting thing is while both of these prospects have HIGH ceilings, they also have some low floors.

Here's hoping it works out.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)
I just read the Boston perspective ala SoSH and of course they were dismissing Moncada and Kopech as lottery tickets, but seemed to think Devers, Swihart and Groom are locks to be perennial all stars.

Bottom line is there is certainly more risk on the White Sox side of things, however, the White Sox obviously get a high potential reward as well. The most interesting thing is while both of these prospects have HIGH ceilings, they also have some low floors.

I'm not a scout, just a fan, but I really, really love Kopech and think he can be an ace if he can smooth out his command like Rodon did this year. I said earlier today I think he's better than Giolito and I truly believe that. Just filthy stuff. High risk but the Verlander/Syndergaard comps are valid.

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)

What's to worry about though? We've proven we're not winning with Chris.

Even though I'm on record as saying I didn't think anything would get done during the Winter Meetings I was starting ti change my tune after reading about the Nationals big push. So before I left for work this morning I DVR'd all the MLB networks shows like Hot Stove, MLB Now and Baseball Tonight ( basically everything except High Heat) in case something went down today. I can now watch all that stuff .

I'll miss Sale, he's been great , the best Sox player since Frank Thomas and didn't care about all his hotheaded stuff because he is entitled to his opinion and wasn't shy about giving it and I truly think he liked being a White Sox.

Figured Boston was the best shot at getting an elite prospect and can't get much better than Moncada even though I liked Benintendi more but I guess so did Boston.

Kind of surprised at the youth of the package, Not really a near ML ready player in the group. Moncada could be a year or more away.

The Sox got their headliner and it seems as though the whole deal is based on Moncada becoming what everyone thinks he will be. If he busts though the Red Sox didn't really hurt themselves at all. Hoping/ praying Moncada is what we all think he will be. Otherwise I'm not all that thrilled with the rest of the package.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 03:06 AM)

no doubt. there is inherent risk in trading for guys who haven't done it at the mlb level year-in and year-out as sale has. that's part of the reason to trade everyone now. increase the volume of prospects and you're increasing the chances of them hitting. add a year or two of picking in the top-10, and you could have something special. operative word being "could," of course.

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:01 PM)

Keep in mind that the Sox weren't winning with Sale under the teams current construction and weren't going to win anything over the next three years. Keeping Sale for the next three years wasn't going to help the team rebuild or replenish the farm.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 07:08 PM)
I'm not a scout, just a fan, but I really, really love Kopech and think he can be an ace if he can smooth out his command like Rodon did this year. I said earlier today I think he's better than Giolito and I truly believe that. Just filthy stuff. High risk but the Verlander/Syndergaard comps are valid.

Yeah, I actually feel good about him.

It's Moncada...after reading 9 pages of SoSH I am now convinced he is the next Andy Marte.