Red Sox acquire Chris Sale, White Sox get Moncada+

Southwest Sider

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
According to this, Devers wasn't on the table at all.

Baseball AmericaVerified account‏@BaseballAmerica 53m53 minutes ago

Via @alexspeier: The @RedSox would not trade Rafael Devers, even if it meant walking away from Chris Sale. 💲👉 http://bba.am/FzZVN4

It's pretty clear in the article that Devers off the table after the first 2 of Moncada and Kopech in place. That makes sense and I'm sure we asked and settled for Basabe w a lottery ticket throw in (victor diaz)

QUOTE (heirdog @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 07:18 PM)
It's pretty clear in the article that Devers off the table after the first 2 of Moncada and Kopech in place. That makes sense and I'm sure we asked and settled for Basabe w a lottery ticket throw in (victor diaz)

I think actually once Moncada was in place. Both were in their system as the future solution at 3B. I don't think they wanted to trade two prime infield prospects. They might have done Benintendi, Kopech and Devers last summer before Benintendi exploded.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Feb 23, 2017 -> 06:18 PM)

I agree, and the Red Sox never needed to include Devers in their offer anyway. They already had the best deal on the table. It was clear the White Sox were going to sell Sale to the highest bidder (as opposed to just "holding out" forever for a perfect deal), so once the Red Sox edged out the Nationals in terms of value, there was never any incentive for them to go any further.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)
Interesting read on what it took to get to the Sale deal.

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/218...ris-sale-trade/

Red Sox were not going to bid against themselves and include Devers for Sale fully knowing that a Moncada/Kopech headlined deal was not going to be beat

Washington likely offered something along the lines of Robles + Giolito as a headlined deal plus Dunning. Sox preferred the Moncada/Kopech and then suggested Basabe and Diaz to round it out

Sox then quickly flipped Eaton for Giolito + Lopez + Dunning for Eaton as the Nationals were only willing to part with Robles for Sale

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 10:50 AM)
Red Sox were not going to bid against themselves and include Devers for Sale fully knowing that a Moncada/Kopech headlined deal was not going to be beat

Washington likely offered something along the lines of Robles + Giolito as a headlined deal plus Dunning. Sox preferred the Moncada/Kopech and then suggested Basabe and Diaz to round it out

Sox then quickly flipped Eaton for Giolito + Lopez + Dunning for Eaton as the Nationals were only willing to part with Robles for Sale

The Nationals supposedly offered all four of Robles, Giolito, Dunning, & Lopez for Sale. That's a huge package and one you could make an argument for being better overall the Red Sox's package. I think it's pretty obvious the Sox wanted Moncada and were willing to take lesser second & third pieces as long as they got a second stud in the deal.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)
The Nationals supposedly offered all four of Robles, Giolito, Dunning, & Lopez for Sale. That's a huge package and one you could make an argument for being better overall the Red Sox's package. I think it's pretty obvious the Sox wanted Moncada and were willing to take lesser second & third pieces as long as they got a second stud in the deal.

I doubt the Nats offered all four of Robles, Giolito, Lopez and Dunning. That would be a monster haul that Hahn would have a tough time saying no to.

Three top fifty prospects and one top 150 prospect is a king's ransom for Sale

The Sox really like the potential of Moncada and Kopech though, plus Basabe is an interesting prospect

Hard to say which package I'd rather have, but since we got almost as much for Eaton it's hard to say Hahn did not do his best

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)

They may have also known Washington was willing to part with many of those prices for Eaton and didn't have anything better lined up for him.

This is funny now. When a deal surrounding Robles/Giolito/Lopez was being discussed immediately preceding the trade, people were very against trading for a 19 year old who had not shown much power as the prime position player.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
They may have also known Washington was willing to part with many of those prices for Eaton and didn't have anything better lined up for him.

Yeah, I'm not sure they could have done better for Eaton, even if they waited.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
This is funny now. When a deal surrounding Robles/Giolito/Lopez was being discussed immediately preceding the trade, people were very against trading for a 19 year old who had not shown much power as the prime position player.

Agreed. Hard to complain when we got 2/3 of those pieces the very next day.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)

I'd rather have Moncada over Robles at this point. Moncada has shown he can handle AA pitching and solid power.

Robles is further away in his development, but has yet to show much in the way of power

I like both prospects, but given a choice I'll take Moncada

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
I'd rather have Moncada over Robles at this point. Moncada has shown he can handle AA pitching and solid power.

Robles is further away in his development, but has yet to show much in the way of power

I like both prospects, but given a choice I'll take Moncada

There shouldn't even be a debate, Moncada is hands down the better prospect than Robles IMO. But Lopez & Dunning are significantly better prospects than Basabe & Diaz. I'd take the Red Sox deal simply because Moncada offers the best mix of ceiling and floor, but I definitely think an argument could be made for the Nationals package overall being better if you're really high on Robles.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 11:07 AM)
What's funny now?

The admiration for a trade proposal that was basically what was reported prior (I don't think Dunning was offered, I think people are just assuming he was a part of it because he came over the next day, the rumored deal was Giolito/Lopez/Robles), when just 3 short months ago this was a very polarizing offer for Sale.

We are leaving the romantic period where we could have had any prospect, and every prospect will be perfect, to now the scary period where the ones we picked could falter and ones we passed on will succeed. It would be really nice if Moncada and Kopech out of the gate just destroy their levels.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)
The admiration for a trade proposal that was basically what was reported prior (I don't think Dunning was offered, I think people are just assuming he was a part of it because he came over the next day, the rumored deal was Giolito/Lopez/Robles), when just 3 short months ago this was a very polarizing offer for Sale.

We are leaving the romantic period where we could have had any prospect, and every prospect will be perfect, to now the scary period where the ones we picked could falter and ones we passed on will succeed. It would be really nice if Moncada and Kopech out of the gate just destroy their levels.

I'm still very confident in Moncada and Kopech to perform this season

Moncada only played 45 games at AA, and should get plenty of time at AAA to develop. He is not mlb ready just yet.

Kopech needs reps at high A or AA and should stay there most of the season. 100+ innings pitched is a great goal for him

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
I'm still very confident in Moncada and Kopech to perform this season

Moncada only played 45 games at AA, and should get plenty of time at AAA to develop. He is not mlb ready just yet.

Kopech needs reps at high A or AA and should stay there most of the season. 100+ innings pitched is a great goal for him

100%. I love Moncada/Kopech. I loved Robles too, just because the reports on his baseball acumen was so gushing and his position.

But I'm trying to take to heart the "prepare for Moncada to have Buxton like route", that will be really nervewrecking to watch him go up and down. Kopech is going to face his first full year and the fatiuge that will go with it. The struggles will be pretty nervewrecking but I'm pretty confident we got two stars here.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)

Could falter? Yeah, some will fail. This is when the rebuild gets real for many people.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 11:36 AM)
Give me Moncada over Robles anyday.

To further elaborate on this...yes, I prefer Moncada to Robles, but I still think the Sox could've gotten more for Sale. I think they knocked the Eaton trade out of the park, but I was hoping for another player from Boston. Devers was probably a pipe dream but I don't know why the Sox couldn't get at least one of Travis/Swihart/Dalbec in addition to the 4 players they received.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
Could falter? Yeah, some will fail. This is when the rebuild gets real for many people.

Not all of these guys will pan out, that is a given.

But by continuing to add talented players with high upside to our system we are building towards a better future for the organization

Rebuilding is going to take time, the team will likely not be competitive for the next three seasons, but beyond that we could be a very talented team

The 2016 draft class seems promising, and following that up with a solid 2017 draft will help as well

If Sale went to the Nat's then it's possible Q goes to Boston for a slightly lesser package and the Sox still have Eaton who would be more difficult to move due to the amount of outfielders available for trade. Plus, it's possible the Sox would not receive the haul for Eaton that the Nat's gave up. IMHO, things have worked out for the best so far. I would rather be looking to trade Q for a haul in June/July than Eaton.