Frazier Trade Discussion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)
Ouch. Just looked at Frazier's advanced metrics. His defense took a pretty good hit last season. It pains me to say it but Frazier is looking more one dimensional like Carter. Still think he has more value than Carter but not by much. At this point all I can hope for is that Frazier's glove and batting average rebound a bit to make him more appealing at the trade deadline.

He was about average defensively last year, and took the biggest hit in range. I wonder how much of that has to do with actually losing range, how he was set up defensively, how much had to do with adjusting to a new team and not knowing pitchers' tendencies, and how much is noise. Looking at the numbers, he didn't lose any speed from 2015 to 2016, and actually improved on routine plays.

Also, the fact that he can play 3B and play it even fairly well makes him much more valuable than Chris Carter or other types like that.

I think he's going to have a nice bounce back year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 12:59 PM)
He was about average defensively last year, and took the biggest hit in range. I wonder how much of that has to do with actually losing range, how he was set up defensively, how much had to do with adjusting to a new team and not knowing pitchers' tendencies, and how much is noise. Looking at the numbers, he didn't lose any speed from 2015 to 2016, and actually improved on routine plays.

Also, the fact that he can play 3B and play it even fairly well makes him much more valuable than Chris Carter or other types like that.

I think he's going to have a nice bounce back year.

Had not considered the defensive alignment aspect of his drop off. Good call. Frazier can still snag the balls close to him and still has a strong arm so there's still hope.

Right now there just isn't a market for Frazier but injuries happen so if Frazier can rebound in the first half of the season it could pay off for the Sox in July. I don't expect a big haul but a quality prospect it two would be nice.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 09:00 PM)

They have no reason to give up a very talented prospect unless the player they are getting is younger and/or under team control for a while.

Todd Frazier does not fit that bill. If Sandoval falters, they'll have interest in Frazier, but they're not spending a lot on him.

I am not following your logic. The Red Sox are in it to win it this year. Why would they want an unproven third basemen like Devers on a team like that instead of a guy like Frazier that could be a monster in Fenway? Also, Dombrowski has never been shy to spend money when he thinks hsi team is getting close to a championship run.

"Devers is probably a 60 FV type is worth well more than Todd Frazier."

This is not like trading baseball cards or making trades in the abstract based on statistics alone. Who would you want at third base in the playoffs or World Series? Devers of Frazier? That is the context.

As I posted earlier, they have three other 3B candidates in camp besides Panda. They traded Shaw knowing this so they must have some comfort that they can get by. Also important to note is the fact the Boston owners said they want to stay below the luxury tax this year. They dumped Buchholz in December to get below the threshold. That doesn't mean they won't trade at the deadline if 3B is a major issue but it would most likely be ML players involved.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 22, 2017 -> 12:53 AM)
WAR is a counting stat, it integrates how much time has been played.

- It doesn't have Saladino (1.2) over Harper (3.5)

- Eaton was equivalent to Arenado because his glove was just that good last season. He was basically what the Cubs thought Heyward would be.

- He was better than Q and Sale because he's a batter, so a counting stat benefits him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harpebr03.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/saladty01.shtml

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
Do third baseman have rapid early breakdowns as often or more often than catchers? It sure as hell seems like it has cut a lot of careers short but thats probably just anecdotal because I have seen in on our club.

I think it's the stress on the core with all the reaction based dives and pegs. It must take a tremendous toll after 1000 or so games in the bigs, plus all the ground balls you're taking in practice.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
Even for just 1 year? It's not like they'd be trading for a guy with a bad contract and 4 years left and over 30.

IMO it would be best to let him play at 1B 2-3 times a week. Heck, I'd suggest the Sox do it, seeing how Salidino can cover. I think it will help his bat.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
IMO it would be best to let him play at 1B 2-3 times a week. Heck, I'd suggest the Sox do it, seeing how Salidino can cover. I think it will help his bat.

I think there is a good chance he sees more time at 1B this year with Abreu at DH. Especially if Moncada tears up AAA and needs a spot in the infield (if Lawrie/Frazier isn't gone yet, Lawrie plays 3B).

I forgot what paper I was reading where the article mentioned the 2B battle being between Lawrie and Saladino. Say if Saladino were to win the starting job at 2B, would they cut Lawrie since they would be on the hook for like 1/4 his salary (similar to when they tendered Viciedo a contract)?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:37 PM)
I think there is a good chance he sees more time at 1B this year with Abreu at DH. Especially if Moncada tears up AAA and needs a spot in the infield (if Lawrie/Frazier isn't gone yet, Lawrie plays 3B).

I forgot what paper I was reading where the article mentioned the 2B battle being between Lawrie and Saladino. Say if Saladino were to win the starting job at 2B, would they cut Lawrie since they would be on the hook for like 1/4 his salary (similar to when they tendered Viciedo a contract)?

I don't see much upside in Lawrie personally but maybe there's a chance he could regain some value and could be traded for a A ball lotto ticket or something in mid summer. Hope to see Sally get at least 400 PA this year wherever he plays. I think Sally could be a 3 WAR player, I really do.

Anybody know the situation with Lawrie's contract?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)

Lawrie still is not completely ready to play. Right now the clear favorite is Saladino IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
Lawrie still is not completely ready to play. Right now the clear favorite is Saladino IMO.

Lawrie has never been healthy. He is a non factor and I am still puzzled as to why they signed him.

Imo, Lawrie stands a good chance of being released at the end of ST. His leg is still bothering him and the Sox have Saladino to play 2B who is the better player anyway. Lawrie literally has no value.

Anyway, back to Wright. I wonder what a good asking price for Frazier is if the Mets were interested. Would like to get Nimmo but something tells me that's a bit of a reach.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
Imo, Lawrie stands a good chance of being released at the end of ST. His leg is still bothering him and the Sox have Saladino to play 2B who is the better player anyway. Lawrie literally has no value.

Anyway, back to Wright. I wonder what a good asking price for Frazier is if the Mets were interested. Would like to get Nimmo but something tells me that's a bit of a reach.

Yeah I'm kinda thinking Lawrie gets released at the end of Spring Training. Especially if Tyler tears it up. Minimal trade value and he's always hurt. Not really a ton of upside.

As for Frazier, he needs to get on the field himself first haha

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:15 PM)
Yeah I'm kinda thinking Lawrie gets released at the end of Spring Training. Especially if Tyler tears it up.

As for Frazier, he needs to get on the field himself first haha

Lol, this is true. Hopefully the oblique injury does not linger.