Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 29s29 seconds ago Arlington, VA

#Nationals talked enough to #Whitesox that if want to go for Quintana to bulk up rotation and/or Robertson to close groundwork mostly done

Probably speculation, but worth a thread now that he's probably the best pitcher on the market now.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
Could Q possibly fetch Robles? We're definitely not getting both Giolito and Robles, but I feel like one of them MIGHT be possible if we package Robertson in too.

If you couldn't get a deal built around a guy like that then there's no reason to trade Quintana. With that extra year of team control, he still should get a Sale-like package.

I'd actually say he's a better fit for the Astros than the Nats, since the Stros aren't staring a "2 year deadline" in the face whereas the Nats are.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
#Nationals talked enough to #Whitesox that if want to go for Quintana to bulk up rotation and/or Robertson to close groundwork mostly done

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/806236569552175108

four years of cheap control is worth a ton in return

I absolutely put Quintana on the block and see what offers you can get

Say what you want about Giolito and Robles...Moncada is a far better prospect than either of them

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)
Could Q possibly fetch Robles? We're definitely not getting both Giolito and Robles, but I feel like one of them MIGHT be possible if we package Robertson in too.

Why not both? Q is almost as good as Sale and offers an extra year of control. If Nats want Q, they should be talking Giolito, Robles, +++

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
@BNightengale

The #WhiteSox getting besieged with calls now for Jose Quintana, but the Sox are expected to step back, catch breath, before dealing him.

Apparently, trading Sale was too much work for the Front Office, they need a break.

Not a bad idea, don't want to rush into a Q deal and not get the best package.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:54 PM)
@BNightengale

The #WhiteSox getting besieged with calls now for Jose Quintana, but the Sox are expected to step back, catch breath, before dealing him.

Apparently, trading Sale was too much work for the Front Office, they need a break.

I'm not mad about them "catching their breath". Quintana is a different type of asset from Sale. Different price, different peak level, different control length. He's a better fit for some teams than others. You could go and say "we'll take that offer you put on the table for Sale right now" and if you did that, you could miss some team that could have gotten into the game for Quintana but didn't want to for Sale.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:42 PM)

Q worries me the most. He and Eaton both do, but Q especially. The perception on both these guys is so undervalue that I hope the Sox hold firm on the main piece of any deal. If you don't get 4-6 guys, I'm ok with that but you cannot sacrifice quality.

Q has been a top 15 WAR player in baseball the last X years.

Eaton has averaged 5 WAR the last few and was top 10 overall last season I think.

WAR isn't everything but it is definitely important to assess hard-value.

Guys that are this good are not given away. So Robles and Giolito need to be on the table if the Nationals are serious.

If the spin for Sale is that you got the #1 prospect in baseball, a top 5 pitching prospect in baseball/next Syndergaard (per the talent evaluator comment on mlbtr - first I had seen of that type of ceiling), 2 other high-upside young prospects and the entire Moncada contract paid for then this is a solid deal. The bar is set high for the other trades because Q isn't far behind Sale.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:59 PM)
I am actually on system overload right now with trying to keep up with 10 different threads at one time because every thread has breaking news. Not sure I have ever seen anything quite like this on ST.

Me too lol it makes me look busy at work though with all the clicking and typing.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
Me too lol it makes me look busy at work though with all the clicking and typing.

I'd expect the phone to be ringing on Sale now that the Sox have gone full rebuild

Quintana should net a very similar return as Sale did: One or two elite prospects, one good prospect and one flyer

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
Step back and watch the other teams throw offer after offer at them.

I don't think this will hurt but I do think they're better off striking while it's hot. You've got all that energy/excitement down there in one place. I highly doubt the Sox or other teams haven't done their due diligence on Q to this point.

Feed off what is going on and don't give teams the opportunity to explore other options. The parties have discussed framework for Sale, and Q won't be much different. With Wash/Atl/LAD/Hou and others missing out on Sale, I wouldn't be shocked to see the one who was posturing the most and lost, cave on Q quickly.

Apply the pressure.

Tbh, it is possible we could still be contending while Q is under contract. Unless I'm blown away with an offer, I'm not so sure it makes sense to rush into selling Q. I would probably be interested in a Robles/Reynaldo Lopez ++ package, but it's a gamble. More incentive IMO to hang on to Q.