Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:24 PM)
Well, it will not be the depth. We now know that there IS a pull of quantity v. quality. And getting Rodgers back means not much more than that will return.

I like the prestige of Reed but his cup of tea did scare me (and he had two). I'd be fine sox going after Tucker as their main piece from Houston and getting 3-4 of their low a level guys.

But Tucker/Fisher/Stubbs seems very doable. Reed/Tucker/Stubbs realistic.

Those packages seem light for four seasons of Quintana. Sale got us two top 30 prospects, plus basabe plus a flyer...q

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
Except Bregman was in the Majors and Rodgers was in A ball. They wouldn't budge on Bregman for Sale, why would they for Q? Rodgers will be where Bregman is now, in 2 years. I'm happy with Rodgers+++ or Tucker+++ (I'm very high on Tucker). Slightly would prefer Rodgers but I think Tucker ends up as a phenomenal hitter.

And they now have seen two other teams pay a high price for Sale and Eaton.

They will be asking themselves the question soon...who do we need more, Bregman or Quintana?

I need something better than a package starting with Tucker.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:47 PM)

They will be asking themselves the question soon...who do we need more, Bregman or Quintana?

I still don't think they give up Bregman and I don't think Hahn demands him in a Q trade.

Quintana would be their number one starting pitcher arguably, or number two at worst.

If Houston is serious about competing soon they need to make a move for a starting pitcher. Charlie Morton isn't cutting it.

Why because he's currently ranked as merely top 50 prospect? Look into him. IIRC, draft day his comp was Ted Williams. Not saying he'll be Ted Williams, but that is damn high praise for a high school hitter. The hit tool is as legitimate as anyone in the minors.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:51 PM)
Why because he's currently ranked as merely top 50 prospect? Look into him. IIRC, draft day his comp was Ted Williams. Not saying he'll be Ted Williams, but that is damn high praise for a high school hitter. The hit tool is as legitimate as anyone in the minors.

Pretty much, yes. He's also 19. Assuming those rankings are somewhat accurate, there are reasons there are 49 other prospects ranked ahead of him.

That's not what they would be asking themselves. They'd be asking themselves questions like, does it make more sense to keep Bregman and trade for a guy like Verlander (or other SP available). Sale is in another class. They're not going to give up Bregman to save the cash, which is a big part of why Quintana is so valuable.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:59 PM)
That's not what they would be asking themselves. They'd be asking themselves questions like, does it make more sense to keep Bregman and trade for a guy like Verlander (or other SP available). Sale is in another class. They're not going to give up Bregman to save the cash, which is a big part of why Quintana is so valuable.

Actually, Quintana is pretty darn close to Sale's class as well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:57 PM)
Pretty much, yes. He's also 19. Assuming those rankings are somewhat accurate, there are reasons there are 49 other prospects ranked ahead of him.

Tucker looks like a good prospect, but I'm not as high on him being remotely close to a q centerpiece. He's a second piece in a q deal

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:57 PM)

A top 100 current ranking isn't everything, is what I'm trying to say. He's the type of guy who will likely be a top 20 prospect by the end of 2017. Same with Blake Rutherford from the Yanks if he keeps continuing what he's doing. A guy like Maitain, who's what 70s or 80s could be a top 3 prospect in a year or 2.

MLB – Perhaps the best pure hitter in the 2015 high school crop, Tucker has a selective approach and makes consistent hard contact from the left side of the plate. Once he fills out his lanky 6-foot-4 frame, he could be a .280 plus-hitter with 20 or more homers per season.

Astros 411 – Tucker is a rare five-tool player across the board, who can hit, hit for power, with a plus arm, with decent speed and a good glove. He has great make up and a game mentality that you usually find on someone with less talent.

These are the type of lefty hitters we never seem to have and I personally would salivate over him in our org.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:06 PM)
A top 100 current ranking isn't everything, is what I'm trying to say. He's the type of guy who will likely be a top 20 prospect by the end of 2017. Same with Blake Rutherford from the Yanks if he keeps continuing what he's doing. A guy like Maitain, who's what 70s or 80s could be a top 3 prospect in a year or 2.

I get it. To me, that should be a complimentary piece for a guy like Quintana, not the centerpiece.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:09 PM)
I get it. To me, that should be a complimentary piece for a guy like Quintana, not the centerpiece.

I think it likely would be Martes/Tucker/Reed or 2 of em. We're on the same page lol. The original thing was that you said Bregman from Houston or Rodgers from Colo or no deal. Definitely a deal to be made for me with Houston without Bregman IMO.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:36 PM)
Rodgers is 20 years old and had 31 doubles and 19 home runs. He is by all accounts an elite, elite prospect and would look very nice at 3B in the future for us. You didn't get 4 or 5 Moncadas for Sale, did you? Why would you get 4 or 5 Rodgers for Q? Rodgers is a top 10 prospect in all of baseball. Rodgers + 2 or 3 guys gets it done.

Moncada is much further along than Rodgers. Further, I was saying 4 or 5 of his caliber "or thereabouts". I'm not talking about his draft pedigree there, I'm talking about 4 or 5 players in that A/AA range that have high ceilings.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:15 PM)
Moncada is much further along than Rodgers. Further, I was saying 4 or 5 of his caliber "or thereabouts". I'm not talking about his draft pedigree there, I'm talking about 4 or 5 players in that A/AA range that have high ceilings.

Nonetheless both still top 10 MLB prospects, but I get what you're saying. I still don't think that would be a realistic ask though.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:16 PM)
No clue who this person is but: https://twitter.com/ShutdownInning/status/806676420177051651

"Hearing Quintana to the Astros is "all but done." Working out a couple of kinks in the last hour. No word on pkg to CWS. #Astros #WhiteSox"

local source, always a good sign for reliability, probably has some contacts in the Astros. This is crazy.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:15 PM)
I think it likely would be Martes/Tucker/Reed or 2 of em. We're on the same page lol. The original thing was that you said Bregman from Houston or Rodgers from Colo or no deal. Definitely a deal to be made for me with Houston without Bregman IMO.

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about Reed, but I think with a guys like Sale/Q/Eaton, I think I still the first piece to be an ultra-premium piece. I get the depth part, and I have argued about this with others, but for those three contracts, I put quality over quantity.

We can build depth through trading other less valuable assets and the draft, but for these three pieces, I need quality.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)
No clue who this person is but: https://twitter.com/ShutdownInning/status/806676420177051651

"Hearing Quintana to the Astros is "all but done." Working out a couple of kinks in the last hour. No word on pkg to CWS. #Astros #WhiteSox"

The same person also tweeted that the Sox were going to pay all of Quintana's salary. Then they backtracked on that. I have my doubts.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 08:06 PM)

These are the type of lefty hitters we never seem to have and I personally would salivate over him in our org.

This is a perfect call for the type of players I would want to see us targeting. He was described as a generational talent, yet because of his age, he is WAY down the lists and rankings. But a guy like that should be a huge target.