Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)
Houston needs a TOP badly. They'd get mauled in the playoffs with McHugh and other clowns

I'd hold out and wait for Houston to realize that they do not stack up well against the Indians or Red Sox starting pitching in a playoff series as they currently sit

McCullers can't seem to stay healthy and Keuchel regressed significantly last season

That rotation really really could use the stability Quintana would bring every 5th start

It's hard to know Houston's public motivations vs. private ones. I feel like they are a smart enough front office to know Quintanas value. But in baseballosphere, seems like opinion is they have too many soft tossers and Quintana would not add a different arsenal to the mix.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
It's hard to know Houston's public motivations vs. private ones. I feel like they are a smart enough front office to know Quintanas value. But in baseballosphere, seems like opinion is they have too many soft tossers and Quintana would not add a different arsenal to the mix.

It's not so much a different arsenal, as they need a stable quality pitcher to help anchor the staff as they are in their window to contend

Washington knew it had a two year window to contend before Harper leaves in free agency and paid for Eaton

Boston knew its window is now as well to contend with Price still in his prime and cost controlled young players

Houston's time is right now to win it all, Keuchel is under contract for two more seasons...although they might have a bit longer window than some other teams

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)

They are smart enough to know not to trade Bregman, I wouldn't trade him either

That being said I think they know how badly they could use a pitcher like Quintana and are motivated to trade for him

If Houston doesn't trade for Quintana then they are playing it extremely cautious. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't try to upgrade their rotation with one of the most consistent starters over the last few years. My biggest concern is after the fleecing Hahn gave the Nationals is they are going to be overly reluctant to part with multiple top talent and will try a quantity over quality approach. Judging by what the Sox have managed to pull off so far, I don't think that is going to fly with Hahn.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 05:12 PM)
If Houston doesn't trade for Quintana then they are playing it extremely cautious. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't try to upgrade their rotation with one of the most consistent starters over the last few years. My biggest concern is after the fleecing Hahn gave the Nationals is they are going to be overly reluctant to part with multiple top talent and will try a quantity over quality approach. Judging by what the Sox have managed to pull off so far, I don't think that is going to fly with Hahn.

The goal for us is Bregman right? And Houston HAS to upgrade SP to seriously contend. I wish there was a way for the Sox to sign any remaining quality SP on the FA market to limit Houston's choices to basically Q. Then after they sweat for another month or two send them the package of Q & Frazier(to plug Bregman gap) for Bregman +. Win win.

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 06:30 PM)
Question for the board.

What if Houston caved in and said they would trade Bregman but the trade would be Bregman for Q straight up. Would ya do it?

I would not do it. I know how Quintana will perform in the next 5 years, I have no idea what Bregman will do.

This is why you need to get multiple prospects to limit the chances of giving Quintana away for just a decent mlb player.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 05:30 PM)
Question for the board.

What if Houston caved in and said they would trade Bregman but the trade would be Bregman for Q straight up. Would ya do it?

Surprising enough, I almost immediately said "no" to myself. I don't think getting Bregman alone benefits the Sox. They still need more positional depth than one guy. I wouldn't complain if they did land him, but I don't think it capitalizes on the overall needs of the organizations at this time.

Question for the board.

At this point, for sure. The extra control alone is worth it. Bregman, Anderson, Moncada could be 3/4 of a monster infield.

Question for the board.

Yes. I think that is fair.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 06:01 PM)
Surprising enough, I almost immediately said "no" to myself. I don't think getting Bregman alone benefits the Sox. They still need more positional depth than one guy. I wouldn't complain if they did land him, but I don't think it capitalizes on the overall needs of the organizations at this time.

I pretty much agree with this. I think that Q's value is relatively close to Sale's. If Hahn wouldn't take Moncada alone for Sale, I don't know why he'd take Bregman for Q straight-up. I'd want at least one other Top 100 prospect in that deal.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 06:30 PM)
Question for the board.

I say no. Here's why, Bregman is not a more valuable prospect than Moncada to me. For Sale we got Moncada, Kopech, and two more prospects. The drop off between that package and just Bregman is much much more than the value of Sale to Quintana. For Houston, like it or not, the market was set by the Sale trade. Just because they aren't willing to part with Bregman doesn't mean him alone is enough value for Quintana.

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 06:35 PM)
I say no. Here's why, Bregman is not a more valuable prospect than Moncada to me. For Sale we got Moncada, Kopech, and two more prospects. The drop off between that package and just Bregman is much much more than the value of Sale to Quintana. For Houston, like it or not, the market was set by the Sale trade. Just because they aren't willing to part with Bregman doesn't mean him alone is enough value for Quintana.

At this point, Bregman is more of a sure thing than Moncada is.

Again, not happening, but yes I would take Bregman for Q 1-for-1.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 07:39 PM)

I personally would still rather have Moncada, but lets assume for the sake of argument you are correct and Bregman is the better prospect. Is the drop in value from Sale to Quintana equal to the drop in value from Moncada, Kopech, Basabe, Diaz to just Bregman?

I think you guys are getting sucked in to the psychological games the Astros are trying to play to get an advantage in the deal. The deal should be based on value, not desperation brought on by chasing the supposedly unattainable. Playing hard to get may make you want the girl more, but it doesn't make her hotter.

Edited by QuickJones81

QUOTE (QuickJones81 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 06:43 PM)
I personally would still rather have Moncada, but lets assume for the sake of argument you are correct and Bregman is the better prospect. Is the drop in value from Sale to Quintana equal to the drop in value from Moncada, Kopech, Basabe, Diaz to just Bregman?

I think you guys are getting sucked in to the psychological games the Astros are trying to play to get an advantage in the deal. The deal should be based on value, not desperation brought on by chasing the supposedly unattainable. Playing hard to get may make you want the girl more, but it doesn't make her hotter.

I agree, If bregman isn't on the table the rockies need a TOR starter and have a system that lines up with our timeline from both a talent and positional aspect; Rodgers/Pint/Tapia & Freeland/Murphy fits the sox like a glove.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 07:39 PM)

Q also has one more year of team control than Sale, and does not have Sale's childish issues with authority. One can make the argument that Q has better long-term value than Sale.

I wouldn't be upset if Hahn traded Q for Bregman striaght-up, but I'd definitely have the feeling that Houston got the better end of the deal in terms of value, and that Hahn didn't get enough quantity in return.

I just like the idea of getting a positional player that could potentially play 150+ games and be awesome for a pitcher that can only do so much with the 33 games he's given. Quintana is very good, and there's no reason to think he won't continue to have very good seasons, but ya know, Greg Hibbard, Mike Sirotka, and John Danks all had a few good seasons too. Don't get me wrong, Quintana may be more of a Buehrle type than those other guys, but stuff happens. Give me the bat.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 06:56 PM)
Absolutely not.

Agreed

I would not trade Quintana for only Bregman.

Our system needs more depth and we need to get 3 to 5 players in return for Quintana. We have needs all over the place and a major trade chip like him should return us several high quality pieces