Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:04 AM)
Quintana AND Abreu for Dahl and Rodgers? No thanks.

I'd need at 2 out of three of Tapia, McMahon and Murphy in addition to those 2.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:09 AM)
Not even that ChiSox.

If Quintana AND Abreu are going, i'm requesting Dahl, Rodgers, Hoffman +2 lottery tickets

Yeah, if Abreu's in the deal too, it has to be Dahl, Rodgers, Hoffman, plus. But I'd see if the Rockies are really all in on 2017 and try for Quintana and Robertson for a package built around Dahl and Rodgers with some lower level prospects.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
Yeah, if Abreu's in the deal too, it has to be Dahl, Rodgers, Hoffman, plus. But I'd see if the Rockies are really all in on 2017 and try for Quintana and Robertson for a package built around Dahl and Rodgers with some lower level prospects.

Q and Robertson for Dahl, Rodgers ++ is closer. But I would want those ++ to be something other than throw ins. Murphy would be nice as one of them.

I don't see Hahn packaging any of his players unless it really gets him what he wants. He has already shown that with Robertson.

Not even that ChiSox.

If Quintana AND Abreu are going, i'm requesting Dahl, Rodgers, Hoffman +2 lottery tickets

That's seriously overvaluing Abreu. If the Sox couldn't get Dahl + Rodgers for Q, then you are assuming that they would get Dahl for Abreu which flat out isn't happening.

The one thing we should be learning this offseason is that teams aren't going to move guys they are counting on this year for the Sox assets. Dahl is going to be playing everyday for the Rockies this year. I'll be stunned if the Rockies move him.

Not even that ChiSox.

Yah, was trying to be realistic, but no way I am trading Q and Abreu for 2 prospects. That is silly IMO. But again, I don't see Hahn changing his tune on packaging his players.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)
Q and Robertson for Dahl, Rodgers ++ is closer. But I would want those ++ to be something other than throw ins. Murphy would be nice as one of them.

I don't see Hahn packaging any of his players unless it really gets him what he wants. He has already shown that with Robertson.

Agreed. By "lower level," I didn't mean throw ins, I just meant not blue chippers like Dahl and Rodgers.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)
That's seriously overvaluing Abreu. If the Sox couldn't get Dahl + Rodgers for Q, then you are assuming that they would get Dahl for Abreu which flat out isn't happening.

The one thing we should be learning this offseason is that teams aren't going to move guys they are counting on this year for the Sox assets. Dahl is going to be playing everyday for the Rockies this year. I'll be stunned if the Rockies move him.

Where's he going to play? Why are they looking at Trumbo? 0 chance Desmond stays at first.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)

Well, they need to move an outfielder somehow. Blackmon is probably more likely to be moved in another deal, but I think Dahl will definitely be a discussion point regarding Q.

I am also not convinced the Rox wouldn't do Rodgers + Dahl for Q. Comparable package to what the Nats gave up for Eaton in terms of prospect ratings.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2681497...ffseason-market

I think this does a pretty good job describing the Q trade market. No surprise that Q is being undervalued, as usual.

I do believe a team will cave in and pull the trigger but if they don't, I have no problem keeping Q to be the ace of the staff in '17. Teams can either pay up or piss off because the Sox aren't giving Q away and don't need to.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
Well, they need to move an outfielder somehow. Blackmon is probably more likely to be moved in another deal, but I think Dahl will definitely be a discussion point regarding Q.

I am also not convinced the Rox wouldn't do Rodgers + Dahl for Q. Comparable package to what the Nats gave up for Eaton in terms of prospect ratings.

Absolute best case scenario. I'd be thrilled if that came to pass.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
Absolute best case scenario. I'd be thrilled if that came to pass.

Moving Dahl would run counter to them contending this season, I don't see that happening

If they really want Quintana they would offer up Rodgers as a centerpiece + some combination of Tapia/Hoffman/Pint/Marquez/Freeland/Murphy/ETC

My goodness, I almost forgot that year 3 and 4 are option years. That's even less risk for a team to take on should he ever have any injury problems or general pitching issues. That adds even more value, and the Sox are justified to require at least a package of prospects that's 95% as good as Sales. Luhnow can posture all he wants; it's not going to work. It's his own fault if his team undervalues Quintana because he doesn't strike out 200+ per year. Quintana is an elite pitcher and to trade him the Sox need an elite package of players.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
Moving Dahl would run counter to them contending this season, I don't see that happening

If they really want Quintana they would offer up Rodgers as a centerpiece + some combination of Tapia/Hoffman/Pint/Marquez/Freeland/Murphy/ETC

Not really though. They have three OF spots to fill, and Blackmon, CarGo, Desmond and Parra are all under contract. They could play one of those guys at 1B, or create even more of a logjam by pursing one of the glut of power-hitting 1B types in FA. Dahl is not a spare part by any means, but they have the depth to work with.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
Where's he going to play? Why are they looking at Trumbo? 0 chance Desmond stays at first.

All the Rockies news says they are trying to move Blackmon. Dahl/Desmond/CarGo would then be the OF. They make a move still for 1B, whether signing Trumbo or EE, or addressing it via trade. Abreu is a relevant option for them, but they aren't going to give up a starter in '17 to upgrade either 1B or the rotation.

The thing to remember here is that the Nationals package and the Red Sox package both sent back premium prospects, but neither sent back players that the Nats or Red Sox were counting on this year. The Rockies and Astros aren't going to offer guys they are counting on this year either.

Dahl had an .859 OPS over 222 MLB at bats last year, and looks like the Rockies starter in LF this year. They aren't moving him in a Q package.

ETA: Parra was awful last year. Rockies are looking at him as their 4th OF.

Edited by illinilaw08

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
For what it is worth, Stubbs was outhit by Tim Tebow in the Arizona Fall League and batted only .171 in 20 games

That just signals that Stubbs is far from sniffing the mlb level

I take the AFL with a huge grain of salt, especially for catchers maybe he was just run down. Your right about the TEX league being an over inflation same can be said about the PCL but there are very encouraging signs in his profile.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
Martes, Tucker, Reed, Paulino, Laureano, and Stubbs.

Anything less isn't enough. Force Lunhow to bend over backwards to get Q.

If musgrove is off the table I'm not against Hahn going for additional depth and i'm not against him adding in a non robertson or jones arm to ship back with Q like Jennings, Putnam or Petricka

I would love Stubbs as a 4th or 5th piece in a deal having him at AAA with Giolito, Lopez, Martes & Fulmer would go a long way developmentally and would afford the sox the ability to not rush the tank job in '17 for Beer. Stubbs' ETA lines up perfectly for when the pitching core should make the jump in '18 and having him spend a whole minor league season catching the majority of our potential future rotation would be huge.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
The thing to remember here is that the Nationals package and the Red Sox package both sent back premium prospects, but neither sent back players that the Nats or Red Sox were counting on this year. The Rockies and Astros aren't going to offer guys they are counting on this year either.

To say the Nats weren't counting on any meaningful innings from Giolito or Lopez is silly.

To say the Red Sox, who have a gaping hole at 3B, weren't at least considering Moncada, the #1 prospect in the game, to at some point fill the hole is silly.

I generally agree with what you're saying. But the Rockies rotation is gawd awful. They have a surplus of OF. I assume their preference is to trade Blackmon, get a few prospects to either replenish their farm or supplement a trade package for a TOR starter. That's plan A. But I don't think its crazy to think that plan B would be to keep Blackmon in CF, put Desmond in LF and trade Dahl for an ace.

I don't think that scenario is likely, but I can also nearly guarantee you that Hahn's ask includes Dahl right now.

Edited by ChiSox59

I hear the Rockies' current 3rd baseman is pretty good out there, so maybe Ryan McMahon is somewhat blocked. He had a down year last year but he can rake and could be a nice corner infield prospect if we were to move Frazier. I'd do Rodgers and Tapia and try to snag McMahon who dropped to 92 on the top 100 list last year because of a slow start. He had been as high as #43 last February right behind #42--Alex Bregman (Tim Anderson was #45). Who knows...but it's fun to think about!

Edited by FT35

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 12:12 PM)
I take the AFL with a huge grain of salt, especially for catchers maybe he was just run down. Your right about the TEX league being an over inflation same can be said about the PCL but there are very encouraging signs in his profile.

If musgrove is off the table I'm not against Hahn going for additional depth and i'm not against him adding in a non robertson or jones arm to ship back with Q like Jennings, Putnam or Petricka

I would love Stubbs as a 4th or 5th piece in a deal having him at AAA with Giolito, Lopez, Martes & Fulmer would go a long way developmentally and would afford the sox the ability to not rush the tank job in '17 for Beer. Stubbs' ETA lines up perfectly for when the pitching core should make the jump in '18 and having him spend a whole minor league season catching the majority of our potential future rotation would be huge.

Definitely. Mike Trout put up a .600 OPS in the AFL in 2011. In 2012 he was ROY AND 2nd in MVP voting, huge grain of salt for good and bad. Although good could propel them.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
Nightengale said he would be surprised if Q wasn't traded sometime this week, so I'm still holding out hope. That being said, it's been awfully quiet lately.

Calm before the storm buddy. It's not Wednesday yet.

QUOTE (cornball @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
Personally, I think the Pirates are a great match for Q. They have several high rated players blocked and could easily come up with a package.

The pirates finished 25 games behind the Cubs in 2016, I don't see them being willing to sell the farm for Quintana when they are likely better off letting their own prospects develop

Lunhow is all sabermetrics which lines him up with thinking Q really is a 5.0 WAR guy. He isn't as spectacular as many others but is more efficient. He will give up the pieces on the farm to get him IMO. And if Hahn can get AJ Reed as a throw in, it would be great. Cash in on his awfulness last season.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (cornball @ Dec 13, 2016 -> 01:38 PM)
Personally, I think the Pirates are a great match for Q. They have several high rated players blocked and could easily come up with a package.

The Pirates are also ultra-conservative when it comes to deals. I could see the four years of control being attractive, but I also don't think they are going to be willing to package up what is needed to get it done.