Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (BRIRO2017 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
He's had zero pressure. It's like the pressure of a back up QB vs a starter.

By what metrics are you using to say that Quintana is not an elite starting pitcher? His results have been fantastic season after season, plus he has been healthy.

Just because he was not the best starting pitcher on his team, does not mean he is not an ace

QUOTE (BRIRO2017 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
He's had zero pressure. It's like the pressure of a back up QB vs a starter.

The back up QB doesn't play. The #2 starter is 1/5 to 1/4 of your starts, same as your starters. This doesn't fly.

QUOTE (BRIRO2017 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
He's not an ace.

You don't watch baseball.

The Yankees are always an interesting case. I know they are saying one thing, but the other side is that there is always a ton of outside pressure on this team to compete and compete now. The Red Sox going out and getting Chris Sale, plus the fact the Yankees have played exactly one playoff game in the last four years only multiplies that.

Quintana makes a ton of sense for them, as they need starting pitching badly, and he has such a small salary for the next four years, it allows the Yankees to compete while not destroying their luxury tax space. As of today they would be under the mark for 2017, which is a big consideration. They can add Q, and not endanger that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
I understand you, but let's assume with an actual second bidder that the astros would deal Musgrove, Martes and Tucker for Q. You have 2 near major leaguers there in Musgrove/Martes (musgrove is)

The Yankees get involved but insist they need Frazier for next year but offer Gleybar Torres, Blake Rutherford, Andjuhar and Chance Adams

Which would you take? Though inherently riskier, I would take Yankees package.

I would also take the Yankees package there, but trade negotiations don't happen in a vacuum. I think that Yankees package would cause the Astros top go up to something more reasonable that might even be more worthwhile than that Yankees package, at which point you can either take that package or see if you can get the Yankees to budge on Frazier.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
The Yankees are always an interesting case. I know they are saying one thing, but the other side is that there is always a ton of outside pressure on this team to compete and compete now. The Red Sox going out and getting Chris Sale, plus the fact the Yankees have played exactly one playoff game in the last four years only multiplies that.

Quintana makes a ton of sense for them, as they need starting pitching badly, and he has such a small salary for the next four years, it allows the Yankees to compete while not destroying their luxury tax space. As of today they would be under the mark for 2017, which is a big consideration. They can add Q, and not endanger that.

Bingo. Well said.

QUOTE (BRIRO2017 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
Q gets traded to a GOOD team, and he's their number 1? His numbers are going to be way worse. If you don't understand that concept you are clueless.

WTF kind of logic is this? C'mon man you can't be serious.

Q gets traded to a GOOD team, and he's their number 1? His numbers are going to be way worse. If you don't understand that concept you are clueless.

Can you give me the Powerball numbers, Swami?

Since Quintana has no pressure, that means the opposing player has no pressure, since Quintana has been able to dominate opposing players in the box. Its all relative, when players show up to the Cell....um, G Rate, they feel no need to win the game because the Sox arent good, so they just let Quintana beat them since he doesnt have any pressure either.

So, in summary, Quintanas numbers dont mean anything because nobody feels any pressure in the field where the White Sox play, therefore all numbers generated in the field where the White Sox play dont mean anything because Josh McCown

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/pitching/fip/

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/pitching/era-fip-xfip/

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/misc/war/

Educate yourself, then come back to the conversation.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:08 PM)
Since Quintana has no pressure, that means the opposing player has no pressure, since Quintana has been able to dominate opposing players in the box. Its all relative, when players show up to the Cell....um, G Rate, they feel no need to win the game because the Sox arent good, so they just let Quintana beat them since he doesnt have any pressure either.

So, in summary, Quintanas numbers dont mean anything because nobody feels any pressure in the field where the White Sox play, therefore all numbers generated in the field where the White Sox play dont mean anything because Josh McCown

No, you don't understand. Q is the backup QB so he has only played against the 2nd unit (that's why it's the number 2 starter, they play the number 2 team). If he's traded to a GOOD team and is their number 1, he'll have to start playing their number 1 players and that's harder.

It's just baseball, Kyyle.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
Didn't you see? He's a backup quarterback...

...except he plays

...and isn't bad

I mean I get what I am reading. But it makes zero sense to me. It is just so simplistic in the statement, that I would hope there is some amount of depth or logic to the point. This really seems to be going down the road of wins and losses, and I really hope that isn't it, because that falls into just an indefensible category in the 21st century.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
No, you don't understand. Q is the backup QB so he has only played against the 2nd unit (that's why it's the number 2 starter, they play the number 2 team). If he's traded to a GOOD team and is their number 1, he'll have to start playing their number 1 players and that's harder.

It's just baseball, Kyyle.

That really sucks for Quintana, he is gonna suck so hard when he has to pitch against real players. its always cool when other teams rest their 25 man roster and call up their minor leaguers to face the sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
I mean I get what I am reading. But it makes zero sense to me. It is just so simplistic in the statement, that I would hope there is some amount of depth or logic to the point. This really seems to be going down the road of wins and losses, and I really hope that isn't it, because that falls into just an indefensible category in the 21st century.

I mean, how about the pressure of constantly only being provided 1-2 runs of support every night out while trying to get your team a win?