Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

Are any of the Yankees positions player prospects just raking the ball in the minors? Is there a potential Kris Bryant type bat in their system?

Are there any sure bets out of their top ten prospects?

I'd rather have one premier prospect than a bushel full of minor leaguers who may or may not make it very far in the bigs.

Honestly, the closest thing there is to a guy like that in baseball right now was acquired by the White Sox a couple weeks ago.

The problem is you're not going to get multiple Rodgers/Swansons/Sanchezes in any deal.

That's where you have to calculate Rutherford vs. Mateo, or Mateo vs. Rutherford...or Judge vs. both. Do you want proximity to the major leagues/HR mashing potential or to find all-around ballplayers that will fit with Moncada/Anderson/Basabe (potentially) and can play nearly every position on the field from an athletic standpoint.

At any rate, both of the deals for Sale and Eaton provided two potential headliners, so one would think that Hahn would follow this same formula in constructing a deal for Q, knowing the even higher bust rate (especially for A ball players compared to AA/AAA).

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 12:08 AM)
Any deal w'/ the Yankees prospects BETTER include Gleyber Torres. That kid is going to be a stud once he bulks up a bit.

I'm with you on Torres. He has to be in any deal. He is on the same level as Rodgers with the Rockies. You can start mix matching after that. I think the Yankees will ultimately pass on giving him up.

I still think the Astros or Rockies make the most sense. I am worried about Martes headlining any deal. I think he could be a great relieve but with Fulmer and Lopez could be ticketed there as well.

Tucker, Paulino, Reed and Daz Cameron would be an interesting haul. Again though, I am not sold as each of these guys have bust potential.

Quick question for Quinarvy.

What are you thoughts on Yankees prospects Clint Frazier and Dustin Fowler. Been looking at both and to be honest I kinda prefer Fowler over Frazier. I'm guessing Fowler jumps into the top 100 when it comes out. Think I just like Fowler's overall tools better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)
Things like this are where people take stats a little too literally. Sure he put up a .685 OPS. He did it at age 21 in High A ball, where he was nearly two years under the league average age. He struck out at a pretty low rate. He has insane speed. He has average power to go along with plus tools across the rest of the board.

Regressing statistically is not what I would like to see from a supposed top 25 prospect

Both Meadows and Glasnow probably too much to ask for, so give me OF Austin Meadows, SS Kevin Newman, RHP Nick Kingham and 3B Max Moroff. Would love Adam Frazier too but they probably don't want to subtract anything from their big-league roster.

That gives you the #9 prospect in baseball, #42, their #10 prospect who I think would be much higher if not for an injury-hit 2016 and their #20 prospect who has been statistically quite good despite a low pedigree.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 05:23 AM)
If Buster is reporting that in the middle of the night, do you guys think discussions were happening at that time

I was wondering the same. Very stange timing. Maybe he is on vacation on the other side of the world somewhere. Ill keep an eye out.

Yes please!!!

I think a package of Austin Meadows, Kevin Newman, Mitch Keller and Yuedy Garcia sounds about right.

That would fit the "95% of Sale" model and be a great depth trade with plenty of upside. Substitute Kingham in for one of the pitchers would also be fine.

I've always thought the Pirates lined up so well w the Sox here, considering their payroll restrictions and inability to get a massive haul for McCutchen. Lack of frontline pitching has really been what's held them back of late. imagine Quintana in that ballpark w that defensive behind him. He'd be Cy Young contender good.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 05:04 AM)
Both Meadows and Glasnow probably too much to ask for, so give me OF Austin Meadows, SS Kevin Newman, RHP Nick Kingham and 3B Max Moroff. Would love Adam Frazier too but they probably don't want to subtract anything from their big-league roster.

That gives you the #9 prospect in baseball, #42, their #10 prospect who I think would be much higher if not for an injury-hit 2016 and their #20 prospect who has been statistically quite good despite a low pedigree.

After reading up on Keller I"m wondering if we could snag him and Meadows together. Either way Meadows would be a huge pickup.

Maybe it'll be a similar situation with Sale? Where Hahn supposedly called Dombrowski before the winter meetings saying he was going to trade him essentially taking final and best offers. But instead of winter meetings, before the New Year? To possibly add some pressure on interested teams.

Edited by soxfan2014

This is what I like to hear. I kind of felt like the Yankees interest was a bit overblown by media and fans, since they can easily add via FA, but PIT doesn't have that option, and they need pitching badly, unlike the Astros, who kind of need pitching but can add at the deadline. The trickle of rumors also may indicate that things are flowing again after the post meetings freeze.

Glad to hear it, keep it coming, Meadows/Bell ++ baseline.

Edited by daggins

Entering the offseason, I thought the Pirates could be the team most interested in Quintana (and actually prefer him to Sale) due to his salary and years of control. They also make a ton of sense as a trade partner because they have a near major league ready OF in Meadows who can headline a deal plus a ton of prospect depth to offer a quality package. If they plan to keep McCutchen, this rumor might actually make some sense and would be great news for us.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 06:26 AM)
This is what I like to hear. I kind of felt like the Yankees interest was a bit overblown by media and fans, since they can easily add via FA, but PIT doesn't have that option, and they need pitching badly, unlike the Astros, who kind of need pitching but can add at the deadline. The trickle of rumors also may indicate that things are flowing again after the post meetings freeze.

Glad to hear it, keep it coming, Meadows/Bell ++ baseline.

Who would their 1B be if they traded Bell? Can't see them subtracting from their major league roster unless they have an obvious replacement.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 21, 2016 -> 04:41 AM)
Who would their 1B be if they traded Bell? Can't see them subtracting from their major league roster unless they have an obvious replacement.

I think this is a good point. Should we trade w the Pirates I would assume that Bell, Glasnow and Hanson are all off the table because they're in the majors (especially Bell and Hanson). It makes too much sense for a deal to be centered around Meadows, Newman and other pieces.

Meadows and Keller fit with what the sox have been doing this winter. Top prospects in BA who are about 23 and younger. I'm just glad Meadows recovered from that gruesome eye injury. Big fan of his. His arm isn't that great, power is meh (although in our park can certainly help there) but that kid is an incredible player with instincts. Too bad they gave up Reese Mcguire though. :P