Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
I know we love Rutherford, and he would be an idea 2nd piece. Just wish we could make that first piece either Meadows or Torres or Frazier.

He was pick #18 in last year's draft. That is not the value of a second piece, no matter how much the WhiteSox liked him 6 months ago.

If the Pirates are actually willing to pay Glasnow plus Mcutchen plus Newman for Quintana, why bring the Yankees in? Take the deal and Hahn can spin-off McCuthen for more than Rutheford.

That's the problem with Hahn 3-ways; when he brings in the 3rd team, it's the 3rd team that takes the surplus from what the other team was willing to overpay. He did it last year in the Frazier trade.

Edited by GreenSox

Not sure the infatuation with Andujar, his numbers across the minors have been incredibly meh. If they complete a 3 way, I'm hoping it's more along the lines of:

Pirates get Q

Yankees get Cutch

Sox get Glasnow, Rutherford, Newman, Kaprielian

Something about the 3-way doesn't add up to me.

If you break it into two separate trades, it is...

Yankees get McCutchen for Rutherford and Andujar

Sox get Quintana for Glasnow, some other player (Keller?) plus McCutchen package

To me, the Yankee prospects seem to be fairly light for McCutchen and if a bigger McCutchen package went to the Sox in addition to Glasnow and another Top 5-6 Pirates player, that would be too much for Quintana in all likelihood.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
So in five years we can be back to where we are now, with outstanding pitchers, but no offense or defense. What a waste.

I wouldn't call what the Sox had was outstanding pitching. They had 2 outstanding starters, one really good one, one mediocre and one awful. If out of this haul they can get 5 outstanding to really good ones, they won't need to score much. Plus, most of the position players they did get are rated pretty high on defense. Pitching and defense.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
SS2K5 is being overdramatic as usual but he has a point. Getting just Moncada and Rutherford as far as hitting goes for Sale, Q, and Eaton is a bit disappointing.

Basabe isn't nothing, FWIW.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 10:47 AM)
SS2K5 is being overdramatic as usual but he has a point. Getting just Moncada and Rutherford as far as hitting goes for Sale, Q, and Eaton is a bit disappointing.

He definitely has a point. Offense has been the problem. If it is going to be so easy to acquire, why wasn't it acquired?

I understand you need some pitchers, but the game is getting away from starting pitching, except for a #1 or #2 guy being important. It's about the bullpen, and pitching prospects bust at a higher rate than hitters. Moncada was a great start, but there needs to be a lot more. Unless they plan on trading Rodon, Q is pretty much their last asset to get top of the line offensive prospects.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
He was pick #18 in last year's draft. That is not the value of a second piece, no matter how much the WhiteSox liked him 6 months ago.

If the Pirates are actually willing to pay Glasnow plus Mcutchen plus Newman for Quintana, why bring the Yankees in? Take the deal and Hahn can spin-off McCuthen for more than Rutheford.

That's the problem with Hahn 3-ways; when he brings in the 3rd team, it's the 3rd team that takes the surplus from what the other team was willing to overpay. He did it last year in the Frazier trade.

For the third time, I do not believe the Pirates would do that just for Quintana. They are going to get either Rutherford or Andujar or someone else who has not yet been mentioned. I also have a feeling that Robertson may be part of this deal. I just do not see us netting four prospects from those two teams and only giving up Quintana.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
He definitely has a point. Offense has been the problem. If it is going to be so easy to acquire, why wasn't it acquired?

I understand you need some pitchers, but the game is getting away from starting pitching, except for a #1 or #2 guy being important. It's about the bullpen, and pitching prospects bust at a higher rate than hitters. Moncada was a great start, but there needs to be a lot more.

That's why they need a crap load of them to make sure they get a really good staff.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
Something about the 3-way doesn't add up to me.

If you break it into two separate trades, it is...

Yankees get McCutchen for Rutherford and Andujar

Sox get Quintana for Glasnow, some other player (Keller?) plus McCutchen package

To me, the Yankee prospects seem to be fairly light for McCutchen and if a bigger McCutchen package went to the Sox in addition to Glasnow and another Top 5-6 Pirates player, that would be too much for Quintana in all likelihood.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out that too. I think the Yankees get off light, while the Pirates give up a s*** ton.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
Rutherford was a top 5 talent in the draft

He was talked about as high as #3. He's the goods. Serious man crush on him. Maybe less than raBBit, but its there. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 10:49 AM)
I wouldn't call what the Sox had was outstanding pitching. They had 2 outstanding starters, one really good one, one mediocre and one awful. If out of this haul they can get 5 outstanding to really good ones, they won't need to score much. Plus, most of the position players they did get are rated pretty high on defense. Pitching and defense.

That is pretty ridiculously optimistic when it comes to pitchers and bust rates.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 10:43 AM)
Just remember that everybody wants to rebuild partially on the basis of the most prominent team to do it successfully, the Cubs. They had just a few players that came up through their system act as cornerstones for the WS run. As long as we can generate some depth with the system alongside a couple of studs, just always keep in mind that we can fill in the remaining holes in other ways.

When it comes to cornerstone players we traded one away in Eaton, and got a potential one back in Moncada.

The idea that we can just "fill in" remaining holes is exactly what we have spent the last 10 years trying to do.

I'm in the whole "too much pitching" camp now. I trusted Hahn to even it out with this trade but I guess he's trying to bring about the same problem we've had in the past few years.

"You can always trade the pitching for hitters!"

That's what we should be doing right now.

Taking back Taillon makes sense on paper but yeah, there's no room in the rotation for him. So yeah, I'd be less happy about that....

Basically the end result of taking Taillon back is that by the middle part of 2018 we're going to have to trade Rodon.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)
Poooo-Ig

Wish you'd post more - minus the dick references and insecurity based hootananey.

( you're right thou, it is a message board. )

Poop

Once I say a name once that's how I'll say it for the rest of my life, regardless if it's the correct pronunciation or not. It's a big problem I have and I wish I could fix it. Dems da breaks.

Also, it's not insecurity. I just don't like people making assumptions about me when they don't know the first thing about who I am or what I do.

And I'll chime in here and there from now on I guess.

I just don't want Diaz in the deal personally. He's a catcher sure, and I know about him by far the least out of everyone else as a prospect guy (haven't heard about him or even watched him), but he's 26, pedestrian minor league numbers and no power. Not sure about his defense, but he doesn't scream "sexy" or even moderately "cute".

Edited by SoxAce