Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 09:50 PM)
For that package you need to include Jones at least. That's 5 Top 100 prospects.

Q is probably worth Glasnow, Bell and Newman. Jones worth Keller.

Together with a contract that may equal adding Meadows there, but that's a tall order.

I think Q is worth more than that. Sale drew two of the top 30 prospects in baseball, including arguably the #1 prospect, and 2 more interesting pieces. Q is only slightly less valuable, and that gap could be made up for a team like the Pirates in the extra year of control. Glasnow is a top 10 prospect, Bell maybe top 50, but that means there should be another top 100-150 piece and another interesting piece coming to the Sox. If only 3 pieces are coming to Chicago for Q, it should be Glasnow, Meadows, and Bell.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 11:08 PM)
I think Q is worth more than that. Sale drew two of the top 30 prospects in baseball, including arguably the #1 prospect, and 2 more interesting pieces. Q is only slightly less valuable, and that gap could be made up for a team like the Pirates in the extra year of control. Glasnow is a top 10 prospect, Bell maybe top 50, but that means there should be another top 100-150 piece and another interesting piece coming to the Sox. If only 3 pieces are coming to Chicago for Q, it should be Glasnow, Meadows, and Bell.

Agreed if it's only three, like how the Sox wanted Moncada, Devers and Kopech but settled on Basabe and Diaz.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 08:58 PM)
Absolutely.

So in your quest for bats you'd rather have a rookie ball 1b w no speed who's 4 years away at best... over most the others? Vlad jr is not his dad.

Personally I'd rather have pieces that will help in the next 1-2.5 years. Basabe is prob 2.5 away... add another 1.5 to vlad jr. Quintanas contract would expire before he sees the majors

Get prospects that come thru in the same wave, will lead to a faster turnaround

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 09:30 PM)
So in your quest for bats you'd rather have a rookie ball 1b w no speed who's 4 years away at best... over most the others? Vlad jr is not his dad.

Personally I'd rather have pieces that will help in the next 1-2.5 years. Basabe is prob 2.5 away... add another 1.5 to vlad jr. Quintanas contract would expire before he sees the majors

Get prospects that come thru in the same wave, will lead to a faster turnaround

Who's this rookie ball first baseman with no speed that you speak of?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)
Oh, you mean the 3rd baseman who had 15 stolen bases in like 60 games?

Yep that's the one. Rookie ball stats ftw!!!

A snippet on him from baseball prospectus:

2016 Stats: .271/.359/.449, 8 HR, 15 SB in 62 games at short-season Bluefield

The Good: He doesn’t look like his father, and putting a Hall of Fame comp on him, bloodlines or no, would be irresponsible. However you’d be forgiven, if you caught Vladito on the right day, for seeing a bit of the same controlled violence that marked his father’s swing. He already has plus raw as a teenager, and it isn’t hard to see him finding another grade of raw as he enters his twenties. He has enough feel for the barrel, even when swinging out of his shoes like his pops, to make the power play in games too.

The Bad: I do wonder if he rates as highly on this list with a different last name, although baseball bloodlines can be important. I guess you can dream big and imagine Vlad, Jr. one day hitting like his father, but that is where the comp will have to end. He’s already a large human being, with a very thick midsection and lower half. At 17. He’s likely a first baseman in the end and that will put an awful lot of pressure on the offensive profile to have a strong patrilineal influence. The stolen bases are more an artifact of every Tom, Dick, and Vladdy being able to steal in the low minors. He’s already a below-average runne

The Role:

OFP 60—Above-average major league first baseman

Likely 45—Second-division starter at first base

The Risks: Vladito’s precocious performance as a 17-year-old in the Appalachian League is nice and all, but he’s still a future first baseman in short-season ball. This could go any which way in the coming years.

Major league ETA: 2021

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Dec 24, 2016 -> 10:05 PM)
Yep that's the one. Rookie ball stats ftw!!!

A snippet on him from baseball prospectus:

2016 Stats: .271/.359/.449, 8 HR, 15 SB in 62 games at short-season Bluefield

The Good: He doesn’t look like his father, and putting a Hall of Fame comp on him, bloodlines or no, would be irresponsible. However you’d be forgiven, if you caught Vladito on the right day, for seeing a bit of the same controlled violence that marked his father’s swing. He already has plus raw as a teenager, and it isn’t hard to see him finding another grade of raw as he enters his twenties. He has enough feel for the barrel, even when swinging out of his shoes like his pops, to make the power play in games too.

The Bad: I do wonder if he rates as highly on this list with a different last name, although baseball bloodlines can be important. I guess you can dream big and imagine Vlad, Jr. one day hitting like his father, but that is where the comp will have to end. He’s already a large human being, with a very thick midsection and lower half. At 17. He’s likely a first baseman in the end and that will put an awful lot of pressure on the offensive profile to have a strong patrilineal influence. The stolen bases are more an artifact of every Tom, Dick, and Vladdy being able to steal in the low minors. He’s already a below-average runne

The Role:

OFP 60—Above-average major league first baseman

Likely 45—Second-division starter at first base

The Risks: Vladito’s precocious performance as a 17-year-old in the Appalachian League is nice and all, but he’s still a future first baseman in short-season ball. This could go any which way in the coming years.

Major league ETA: 2021

Groovy, thanks for the continued education. +1

Isn't it just wonderful how conflicting scouting reports can be. :lol:

From what I have been reading it seems like the Pirates are intent on keeping Austin Meadows and playing him in Center while trading McCutcheon. The Sox obviously want Meadows, not McCutcheon. No way around that for the Pirates unless they trade McCutcheon for an elite young position player prospect like Robles and then trade Robles or Meadows to the Sox, I doubt that they can.

The Pirates may have to make a decision, pony up Glasnow and Meadows for Quintana and keep McCutcheon for the time being, or no deal for Quintana. Meanwhile there is no urgency for the Sox to trade Quintana.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
From what I have been reading it seems like the Pirates are intent on keeping Austin Meadows and playing him in Center while trading McCutcheon. The Sox obviously want Meadows, not McCutcheon. No way around that for the Pirates unless they trade McCutcheon for an elite young position player prospect like Robles and then trade Robles or Meadows to the Sox, I doubt that they can.

The Pirates may have to make a decision, pony up Glasnow and Meadows for Quintana and keep McCutcheon for the time being, or no deal for Quintana. Meanwhile there is no urgency for the Sox to trade Quintana.

I agree. Now that's the Christmas Spirit- bend Hutchinson over the rain barrel and give him some season's greetings. Top MLB pitcher on a ridiculous contract is worth a team's best prospect. There's really no rational way for Hutch to weasel out of that argument. Gotta pay to go for the World Series. Merry Christmas Soxtalk brothers and sister!

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
If they sign Trumbo (and maybe Wieters) I think it's possible. All-in mode.

I think they are definitely going for just by adding Desmond to an already powerful offense. With too many outfielders and a need for pitching, if they signed Wieters we could go after Rodgers/Dahl/Murphy for Q + (Jennings)?