Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

It is hard to get full value for 4 years of control, IMO. There are some diminishing returns in there. Barring injury or slump, Q will demand a roughly similar package at the trade deadline or a year from now. It's just a matter of finding the right deal. No need to panic and cave in the next month if the right deal isn't coming along.

MLB's eight potential trades has three Sox deals.

PIRATES/WHITE SOX

Deal: LHP Jose Quintana to Pirates for CF Austin Meadows (No. 2 prospect), infielder-outfielder Adam Frazier and RHP Clay Holmes (No. 11).

We did a full breakdown of Quintana trade scenarios, and this one still makes a lot of sense. The Pirates have been nurturing Meadows, one of the most complete position players in the Minor Leagues, to replace Andrew McCutchen. But this trade extends the window to get Pittsburgh deep into the postseason with the franchise icon, who has two years left on his contract. Alongside newly signed free-agent starter Ivan Nova, Quintana would be a fine olive branch to show McCutchen that the front office still believes in him, and the team around him.

Another has PIRATES/WHITE SOX/DODGERS

Deal: Three-team swap that is a variation of the two above. Dodgers land McCutchen, Pirates get Quintana and White Sox add two prospects apiece from both organization (say De Leon (No. 2) and infielder Willie Calhoun (No. 4) from the Dodgers and 1B Josh Bell (No. 3) and C Elias Diaz (No. 9) from the Pirates).

NATIONALS/WHITE SOX

Deal: RHP David Robertson to Nationals for C Pedro Severino (No. 11 prospect).

The Nats asked about Robertson when they did the Eaton trade. Severino addresses the White Sox need for a catcher to handle their young power arms, and appears expendable with Derek Norris having been acquired to replace Wilson Ramos.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
MLB's eight potential trades has three Sox deals.

I think the only deal I MIGHT take would be the 3 way with the Dodgers and Pirates. De Leon, Bell, Calhoun, and Diaz would be a decent haul I suppose. Don't love that both Calhoun and Bell are limited defensively though.

Meadows, Frazier, and Clay Holmes isn't enough. It's a prospect light for me. Add in Newman, Hayes, or at least Craig and we might have a deal.

I'd rather take the chance and wait it out that Robertson has more value at the deadline if Severino is the best deal now. I think we should be able to get more than a defensive backup catcher for Robertson honestly.

But really Lunhow and the Astros just really need to make a New Year's resolution to stop being freaking cheap. Such an obvious deal that benefits both teams that it should be done already. Hahn has been shopping Q among other teams, not he just needs to go back to Lunhow with the price and make him beat it.

Kyle Tucker + AJ Reed + 1 of Musgrove/Whitley/Paulino/Perez + 1 of Teosccar Hernandez/Daz Cameron/Laureno/Stubbs....Astros can pick whichever 1 they want out of the last 2 grouping for all I care. Would anybody really be upset if we ended up getting Tucker, Reed, Perez, and Laureno? I sure wouldn't. I know it lacks the shiny prospect at the top, but I honestly don't hate the odds of us getting 4 regulars out of that deal. Obviously there is a good amount of risk as with any prospects, but we need an influx of position player talent and the Astros represent a good way to do that.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 01:08 PM)
I agree, although I do think it would be better for the Sox if Q is dealt now as opposed to later in the season. Not that I want them to force the issue and move him just to move him, but it puts the team in a better direction. I get the impression that it was leaked to get another team to move in on Q in fear of losing out on him.

Yeah, not sure what the point of the leak was unless the market for Q was cold due to the asking price. The way I see it is if Hahn trades Q now then the Sox got what they were looking for but if they don't trade Q then I'll take it that nobody was offering enough for Q.

I do think Q will be traded but if he isn't I'll understand why.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
[/b]

Will that entail a brand new thread next July, or a continuation of this one?

Oh we have to keep this one going to hopefully eclipse the Cespedes thread from last year.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)
Yeah, not sure what the point of the leak was unless the market for Q was cold due to the asking price. The way I see it is if Hahn trades Q now then the Sox got what they were looking for but if they don't trade Q then I'll take it that nobody was offering enough for Q.

I do think Q will be traded but if he isn't I'll understand why.

Oh we have to keep this one going to hopefully eclipse the Cespedes thread from last year.

BTW, had we signed Cespedes, no rebuild, more mired in mediocrity.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
BTW, had we signed Cespedes, no rebuild, more mired in mediocrity.

Absolutely agree. I was one of very few that really didn't want the Sox to cough up the money for Cespedes. That Cespedes thread showed me that I should take rumors with a grain of salt regardless of their source. Nothing wrong with indulging in conversation about the rumor but also keep in mind that it's just a rumor.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 05:02 PM)
But really Lunhow and the Astros just really need to make a New Year's resolution to stop being freaking cheap. Such an obvious deal that benefits both teams that it should be done already. Hahn has been shopping Q among other teams, not he just needs to go back to Lunhow with the price and make him beat it.

Kyle Tucker + AJ Reed + 1 of Musgrove/Whitley/Paulino/Perez + 1 of Teosccar Hernandez/Daz Cameron/Laureno/Stubbs....Astros can pick whichever 1 they want out of the last 2 grouping for all I care. Would anybody really be upset if we ended up getting Tucker, Reed, Perez, and Laureno? I sure wouldn't. I know it lacks the shiny prospect at the top, but I honestly don't hate the odds of us getting 4 regulars out of that deal. Obviously there is a good amount of risk as with any prospects, but we need an influx of position player talent and the Astros represent a good way to do that.

Tucker/Reed/Perez/Laureno/Stubbs and I would say yes I would want one more additional piece since neither tucker or reed are top 10 prospects.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
Want nothing to do with pirates trade unless Meadows is main piece or Bell is second piece.

? Glasnow is easily the best of those 3. Dominated at every level of the minors and didn't even do that bad in his first callup with everything going wrong for him.

Not high on meadows. Fills a need I just don't think he's anything special.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 09:29 PM)
? Glasnow is easily the best of those 3. Dominated at every level of the minors and didn't even do that bad in his first callup with everything going wrong for him.

I don't think the pirates want to trade meadows or bell. Meadows is their cf of the future and bell will contribute right away at the MLB level.

Prospects that very well could be in play : Glasnow, Newman, Keller, Hayes, Craig, tucker, Diaz, etc

I think the issue is the white sox would require four of those guys in a Quintana deal, too high of a price for them. If they can move cutch they can help offset the prospect cost by including what they get for him.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 09:29 PM)

I just don't understand why the Sox would trade proven Quintana for an unproven right hander who has walked tons of guys at every level.

I just watched his start against StL and was unimpressed. Sits 92-94 from the right side and is definitely wild. CIN touched him up twice.

Why is this frickin guy supposed to be our prize. The guy we got Lopez blows this stooge out of the water. At least he has electric stuff and is wild. Glasnow has lame stuff and is wild.

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 09:47 PM)
I just don't understand why the Sox would trade proven Quintana for an unproven right hander who has walked tons of guys at every level.

I just watched his start against StL and was unimpressed. Sits 92-94 from the right side and is definitely wild. CIN touched him up twice.

Why is this frickin guy supposed to be our prize. The guy we got Lopez blows this stooge out of the water. At least he has electric stuff and is wild. Glasnow has lame stuff and is wild.

Glasnow can be a stud in time. If he can improve his control he has frontline starter potential

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 10:17 PM)
I would take Severino for Robertson for sure

Don't understand the love for this guy around here. If he can't maintain a .700 OPS in the minors what do you think he's going to do with extended MLB time? At best he's a backup and I really hope we're targeting something with higher potential than that.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 09:47 PM)

So the guys we dealt for Sale ARE proven?

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)
Don't understand the love for this guy around here. If he can't maintain a .700 OPS in the minors what do you think he's going to do with extended MLB time? At best he's a backup and I really hope we're targeting something with higher potential than that.

Just showing you why some of us really like the kid. Let's face it, there's just not enough offensive catchers to go around. Either they don't have the arm, the defense or their bat I so good they are moved to 1B to save their knees. Need to clone Buster Posey.

Scouts view Severino as one of the best defensive catchers in the Minors. His athleticism and agility make him an excellent blocker, and he receives raves from pitchers and coaches alike for his pitch-framing and overall receiving skills. Severino is adept at controlling the running game, as his combination of advanced footwork and plus arm strength have produced an excellent caught-stealing rate over parts of six Minor League seasons.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=was

It just dawned on me: This offseason is going to be painfully slow. We've got like 50 days until pitchers and catchers report.

Time to move on with my life. {good luck with that, don\'t read soxtalk daily like an obsessed fool}

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 10:15 PM)
It just dawned on me: This offseason is going to be painfully slow. We've got like 50 days until pitchers and catchers report.

Time to move on with my life. {good luck with that, don\'t read soxtalk daily like an obsessed fool}

Might as well say 800 days. Next two seasons will feel slow.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Dec 25, 2016 -> 08:28 PM)
Might as well say 800 days. Next two seasons will feel slow.

I'm personally going to love watching the team suck and develop - will be much more active following all levels. Future Sox will explode.