Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
I still think the Pirates get it done with a Meadows + Bell/Keller/Glasnow + a low level arm or two package. If the Sox want Bell they'd probably have to throw Frazier into the deal, but that also probably adds a better of cadre of prospects after the two headliners. Pirates have tanked the market for McCutchen by being so desperate to sell him that its about time for them to realize they never should've shopped him to begin with. Pirates have two years of prime-time baseball and with some favorable contracts long-term and a farm system that still has some muscle with a strong org to recoup what was dealt in the next couple seasons.

Huntington is a good GM and I'm sure they like him, he can convince Nutting to expand the payroll a little bit to add a big piece.

They could but they won't trade Meadows as he will replace McCutchen when he leaves whether it's by trade or by FA as it's sure that they aren't going to re-sign him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 10:24 AM)
We will be looking at a 70 to 75 win team in 2018.

And the Sox have averaged 72 wins the last four years. Honestly, what is your point besides whining?

If this rebuild would've started three years ago like it should have they could already be in that window of contention. Instead we got to try and count on players like Matt Latos, Jimmy Rollins, JB Shuck, Jacob Turner, Dioner Navarro, Matt Albers, Kyle Drabek, Gordon Beckham, Hector Noesi, Adam Laroche, John Danks, Jordan Danks, Scott Carroll, Gordon Beckham, Ronald Belisario, Andre Rienzo, Dylan Axelrod, Blake Tekotte's of the world to try and win.

That was a fun time as a fan.

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
And the Sox have averaged 72 wins the last four years. Honestly, what is your point besides whining?

If this rebuild would've started three years ago like it should have they could already be in that window of contention. Instead we got to try and count on players like Matt Latos, Jimmy Rollins, JB Shuck, Jacob Turner, Dioner Navarro, Matt Albers, Kyle Drabek, Gordon Beckham, Hector Noesi, Adam Laroche, John Danks, Jordan Danks, Scott Carroll, Gordon Beckham, Ronald Belisario, Andre Rienzo, Dylan Axelrod, Blake Tekotte's of the world to try and win.

all teams will have some players like that as no team will have all top ranked players. The question is; how many of them are on the team at the same time.

Blake Tekotte. Forgot about him.

By the way, all teams have filler.

Beckham was such a failure you included him twice

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
I still think the Pirates get it done with a Meadows + Bell/Keller/Glasnow + a low level arm or two package. If the Sox want Bell they'd probably have to throw Frazier into the deal, but that also probably adds a better of cadre of prospects after the two headliners. Pirates have tanked the market for McCutchen by being so desperate to sell him that its about time for them to realize they never should've shopped him to begin with. Pirates have two years of prime-time baseball and with some favorable contracts long-term and a farm system that still has some muscle with a strong org to recoup what was dealt in the next couple seasons.

Huntington is a good GM and I'm sure they like him, he can convince Nutting to expand the payroll a little bit to add a big piece.

Meadows is a big sticking point for the Pirates. He is firmly part of their future, and I feel like he is pretty much considered untouchable by the Pirates front office. If he were on the table a deal would likely have been made by now.

I don't see them moving Bell, he is expected to be a big contributor to the 2017 team. Trading him is addition by subtraction.

Glasnow is a boom or bust prospect. If he can fix his control he could be an ace. If he can't cut down his walks it will be his downfall.

Keller is a rising prospect with good control. He does not have the ceiling of Glasnow, but his floor might be a #4 or #5 starter given his plus control.

The Pirates are likely offering: Pick one of Glasnow or Keller + Newman + Hayes/Tucker/Craig + a flyer

White Sox likely believe that is not enough

My point was the same point I have made before, but apparently you missed. 2018 is not going to be a year spent in competition. Anyone who is expecting that, is not being very realistic.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
Blake Tekotte. Forgot about him.

By the way, all teams have filler.

I'm aware of that, but many of those names started the season with a bigger role than they should've or they were plan B when everything didn't go perfectly, hence why the Sox were averaging 72 wins while TRYING to win.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
And the next few years will be loaded with players just like this.

Cool. But so where the years when they were trying to win.

I noticed you didn't address the fact you are complaining the Sox may win 70-75 in 2018 when in fact that is all they have been doing for the better part of a decade.

I think they would win 70-75 the next 2-3 years if they were going for it. You know how I know that? Because that is the actual reality of the last four years.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
Meadows is a big sticking point for the Pirates. He is firmly part of their future, and I feel like he is pretty much considered untouchable by the Pirates front office. If he were on the table a deal would likely have been made by now.

I don't see them moving Bell, he is expected to be a big contributor to the 2017 team. Trading him is addition by subtraction.

Glasnow is a boom or bust prospect. If he can fix his control he could be an ace. If he can't cut down his walks it will be his downfall.

Keller is a rising prospect with good control. He does not have the ceiling of Glasnow, but his floor might be a #4 or #5 starter given his plus control.

The Pirates are likely offering: Pick one of Glasnow or Keller + Newman + Hayes/Tucker/Craig + a flyer

White Sox likely believe that is not enough

A guy with #4 or #5 potential should not be the headliner in a deal for Q. End of story.

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
Cool. But so where the years when they were trying to win.

I noticed you didn't address the fact you are complaining the Sox may win 70-75 in 2018 when in fact that is all they have been doing for the better part of a decade.

I think they would win 70-75 the next 2-3 years if they were going for it. You know how I know that? Because that is the actual reality of the last four years.

Nice twist there. I wasn't complaining. I was addressing the idea that they would be competitive in 2018. They won't. That is the reality here.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
A guy with #4 or #5 potential should not be the headliner in a deal for Q. End of story.

I said his floor is likely a #4 or 5 starter due to his excellent control. He only walked 19 batter in 130 minor league innings this season

His ceiling is probably a #2 starting pitcher, one with plus control and a solid WHIP.

Keller is the "safer" of the two prospects, he has had some injury history, but nothing I would worry too much about.

Glasnow has the higher ceiling for sure, and his power stuff is tantalizing. He really needs to cut down on the walks though, as more patient mlb hitters will use his wildness to their advantage.

Think alot of 10+ strikeout games, but also alot of 6+ walk games...which will lead to very mixed results.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
Nice twist there. I wasn't complaining. I was addressing the idea that they would be competitive in 2018. They won't. That is the reality here.

Ok. So in 2018 would you rather try and be the 2014 Cubs team or see a repeat of the 2016 Sox team?

Either way, you have likely the same chance at competing for the central title.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
I said his floor is likely a #4 or 5 starter due to his excellent control. He only walked 19 batter in 130 minor league innings this season

His ceiling is probably a #2 starting pitcher, one with plus control and a solid WHIP.

Keller is the "safer" of the two prospects, he has had some injury history, but nothing I would worry too much about.

Glasnow has the higher ceiling for sure, and his power stuff is tantalizing. He really needs to cut down on the walks though, as more patient mlb hitters will use his wildness to their advantage.

Think alot of 10+ strikeout games, but also alot of 6+ walk games...which will lead to very mixed results.

My bad.

They could but they won't trade Meadows as he will replace McCutchen when he leaves whether it's by trade or by FA as it's sure that they aren't going to re-sign him.

I have no doubt that was their plan coming into the offseason but its obvious now that the market for Cutch is trash. They will get more value out of him playing in 2017 and either contributing to a winning team or rebuilding his stock than they will dealing him now. Barring injury Meadows doesn't have a place on the 2017 squad unless they do something catastrophically dumb and move him to 1b or sell a one-time MVP who is nowhere near old enough to be considered over the hill with two years left in a salary dump move.

The best use of Meadows right now is use him as a trade chip. They can compete with the Cubs or at least chase a wild card while also keeping their farm mostly in tact. All they really have to do is find an OF hier apparent for Cutch, and they have two years to do it. Considering they have a Meadows-like OF prospect every other year I dont think this is too much to ask of the Pirates org.

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
Ok. So in 2018 would you rather try and be the 2014 Cubs team or see a repeat of the 2016 Sox team?

Either way, you have likely the same chance at competing for the central title.

This rebuild has hit cult-like proportions, and it has just begun.

I tend to be optimistic, and will probably get torn apart for suggesting this. I think this is going to be a quick rebuild. We will be bad in 2017 obviously, but 2018 we will be competitive (75 win team).

Some of these guys are not far from the majors. Obviously lets let the rest of the offseason play out, but I could definitely see this team competing in 2019.

Lastly, this is not anything new, but my friend works for the sox (in a lower role) and said that the pirates are a definite possibility for Q. Seems like Cutch could be holdings things up for the bucs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
This rebuild has hit cult-like proportions, and it has just begun.

And you say you aren't complaining, and accuse me of spinning. One line answers with no solutions is just complaining. Either way, you and I are adding nothing to this discussion so I am moving on.

Good day sir, enjoy the new year!

QUOTE (chisox802 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:41 AM)
I tend to be optimistic, and will probably get torn apart for suggesting this. I think this is going to be a quick rebuild. We will be bad in 2017 obviously, but 2018 we will be competitive (75 win team).

Some of these guys are not far from the majors. Obviously lets let the rest of the offseason play out, but I could definitely see this team competing in 2019.

Lastly, this is not anything new, but my friend works for the sox (in a lower role) and said that the pirates are a definite possibility for Q. Seems like Cutch could be holdings things up for the bucs.

A 75 win team is not considered competitive at all

That puts you at least 12-15 wins away from contention