Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 12:06 AM)
Threads thig bug should have a summary every 25 pages. I'm curious to see where talks are at, but I'm sure as hell not gonna read through that many pages.

I'll do my best

NYY is apparently very interested in Q and "D Robby", according to sources. According to GM they are not interested at all. Talks are very serious, but they haven't talked at all. The Cubs are going to be competitive for 5 years at least, the Cardinals are just as good or close. Pirates and Yankees 3 team trade. Mariners line up pretty fair. Probably some personal attacks, and warnings for them. We aren't doing an actual rebuild we just wanted to rid the clubhouse of Drake fans. Quintana is very underrated by guys people that don't like Sabermetrics and people that aren't fans of the team. Bregman isn't coming her. Q could or could not be more valuable at the deadline or next off season.

I think that covers it

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:13 PM)
I'll do my best

NYY is apparently very interested in Q and "D Robby", according to sources. According to GM they are not interested at all. Talks are very serious, but they haven't talked at all. The Cubs are going to be competitive for 5 years at least, the Cardinals are just as good or close. Pirates and Yankees 3 team trade. Mariners line up pretty fair. Probably some personal attacks, and warnings for them. We aren't doing an actual rebuild we just wanted to rid the clubhouse of Drake fans. Quintana is very underrated by guys people that don't like Sabermetrics and people that aren't fans of the team. Bregman isn't coming her. Q could or could not be more valuable at the deadline or next off season.

I think that covers it

Well done.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:45 PM)
Or Frazier could go to the Indians...and they move Ramirez back into a Javier Baez-like role, with an emphasis on the corner outfield spots (especially if Brantley struggles with his health again). Lonnie Chisenhall is obviously not the first name that comes to mind for starting RFer on a World Series-caliber team, but they managed to get by with him last year.

What were Ramirez's DRS numbers at 3B last year, compared to other positions over the last couple of years?

At 3b his DRS was -1 in 2016. His value there was being a slightly better glove than Frazier, a better bat than Frazier, and a better baserunner than Frazier.

I think Cleveland added their expensive RH bat. They have enough depth in the minors that if they want to add a corner OF, the most likely candidate to take some at bats there is Bradley Zimmer.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 01:06 AM)
Threads thig bug should have a summary every 25 pages. I'm curious to see where talks are at, but I'm sure as hell not gonna read through that many pages.

protip: read the latest page, you'll get a very clear picture of how active talks are by the ratio of "WTF are we waiting for" posts to "I hate this [proposed deal on twitter]".

If you see a new thread, well, then something happened.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 09:13 PM)
I'll do my best

I think that covers it

:notworthy

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:13 PM)
I'll do my best

I think that covers it

Perfect.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:31 PM)
I'm not arguing what Todd Frazier would be worth in this market, I'm arguing what he'd be worth during the 2017 season for a team that acquires him. Turner is coming off a career year, while Frazier is coming off a dissapointing one. There's no doubt that Turner would get more in this market. Having said that, it's quite apparent that teams didn't view Turner as a 5+ WAR player (which they shouldn't), but that he also took a sizable hometown discount. His $16M AAV does reflect his true market value IMO. What's interesting though is that Frazier was the superior player in 2014 & 2015. With a strong rebound in 2017 Frazier could easily eclipse Turner's contract next offseason, especially when you consider he won't cost a team their 1st round pick. Again, I think some posters here are seriously undervaluing Frazier because of his poor 2016 season. I fully expect a 3+ WAR season out of him next year and that should be very valuable come the deadline no matter what market rate you place on WAR.

Frazier has had almost 1,000 straight PA's of hitting under .230 with a OBP under .310...and you're pretty confident he's suddenly going to turn that around? I'm sure not. He's going to have to make drastic changes at the plate because his entire approach is pretty awful honestly. It boggles my mind that a professional hitter thinks its a good idea to go up to the plate and try to hook every single pitch he sees to the left. And no, there's no market for Frazier. Until he proves he's something other than a HR or nothing guy I really don't see any teams lining up for his services.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 06:48 AM)
Frazier has had almost 1,000 straight PA's of hitting under .230 with a OBP under .310...and you're pretty confident he's suddenly going to turn that around? I'm sure not. He's going to have to make drastic changes at the plate because his entire approach is pretty awful honestly. It boggles my mind that a professional hitter thinks its a good to go up to the plate and try to hook every single pitch he sees to the left. And no, there's no market for Frazier. Until he proves he's something other than a HR or nothing guy I really don't see any teams lining up for his services.

I agree. We're probably looking at a deal less than what we gave up for him (not hating on that deal though since I don't think any of those guys will amount to much).

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 07:43 AM)
Montas is gonna be good I think

I think the White Sox were convinced health would be a problem, and not necessarily with the rib issues he had in 2016. He had some knee issues they think had a lot to do with the weight he was carrying.

He should be good if he can stay healthy, but that is the big question.

I understand the value of prospects is high but this is a hilarious take on why the cubs should not trade for Q. Odd point of view considering Lackey could retire after '17 and Arietta a FA after '17 though I'd expect the cubs to extend him. But hey, if the writer thinks Ross can help lead them to the promised land then so be it. Funny thing is that of the prospects the Sox would likely want back, Jimenez is the only one the cubs would have room for down the road. Happ is a 2B blocked by Zobrist and Baez and Candelario is blocked by Bryant.

Oh well, was a fun read while I wait for my coffee to kick in.

Tyson Ross, on the other hand? It’s worth the gamble. Mainly because it’s not going to cost prospects. There is potential that the thoracic outlet surgery he had could keep him from reaching the potential he once had. Very few have ever come back from the surgery–at least a very select few. But if he does falter, it’s just money lost. And I get it, it’s a lot of money. But for one year, the Cubs could take a chance on Ross and see where it leads. It isn’t any worse than the Edwin Jackson or Jose Veras debacles.

http://cubbiescrib.com/2016/12/28/chicago-...te-sox-quintana

The Indians, having signed Encarnacion are clearly all in (as they should be) and certainly need a starting pitcher. Although

trading in your division is not always attractive, the Sox know they're going to stink for two or three years, so by the

time they're ready to compete, Q's contract will be nearly over.

Their prospect list includes three position players I think would be most attractive in a trade-Zimmer (outfielder) Bradley (1B)

and Meja a catcher. Thoughts?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 07:57 AM)
I understand the value of prospects is high but this is a hilarious take on why the cubs should not trade for Q. Odd point of view considering Lackey could retire after '17 and Arietta a FA after '17 though I'd expect the cubs to extend him. But hey, if the writer thinks Ross can help lead them to the promised land then so be it. Funny thing is that of the prospects the Sox would likely want back, Jimenez is the only one the cubs would have room for down the road. Happ is a 2B blocked by Zobrist and Baez and Candelario is blocked by Bryant.

Oh well, was a fun read while I wait for my coffee to kick in.

http://cubbiescrib.com/2016/12/28/chicago-...te-sox-quintana

I actually think he is set on testing the free agent market, unless the Cubs end up being one of the highest bidders. I have the idea of shelling out a huge contract to a pitcher on the wrong side of 30. Paying $75 million plus to three players is not ideal.

QUOTE (RockfordJim @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 08:11 AM)
The Indians, having signed Encarnacion are clearly all in (as they should be) and certainly need a starting pitcher. Although

trading in your division is not always attractive, the Sox know they're going to stink for two or three years, so by the

time they're ready to compete, Q's contract will be nearly over.

Their prospect list includes three position players I think would be most attractive in a trade-Zimmer (outfielder) Bradley (1B)

and Meja a catcher. Thoughts?

I can't see us trading Quintana in the division so that we have to face him all season. Cleveland is unlikely to want to clean out the rest of their farm as well.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 08:12 AM)
I actually think he is set on testing the free agent market, unless the Cubs end up being one of the highest bidders. I have the idea of shelling out a huge contract to a pitcher on the wrong side of 30. Paying $75 million plus to three players is not ideal.

Well, Arietta's agent is Boras so it's possible he does go to FA and should to maximise his next contract. Funny thing about the cubs is they only have Hendricks and Lester signed beyond '17 so a pitcher like Q should be high on their priority list, not a few prospects they won't have room for anyway. Imo, the writer is very short sighted and not looking at the bigger picture.

Oh well, the Sox have the luxury of waiting this out to get the right offer. If it turns out the cubs aren't interested in Q, no problem and good luck with Ross. :D

When the Sox acquired Frazier, he had 2 years left on his contract; now he has 1 year left. His control is 50% less, and there is no reason the Sox should expect anymore than 50% of what they gave up for him.

Frazier had a bad year, including leading MLB in infield pop ups. And that was behind a miserable second half to 2015, which most willfully ignored. He will be 31 this season. Could he turn it around? Of course - there's a chance. But teams won't pay any sort of premium right now to see that happen. His value will be better in June or July if he has a good year...it's worth the risk to wait.

Quintana, on the other hand, just delivered his fourth quality season. He's consistent as heck and it is his consistency that puts him in the top tier category, if not the ace. A fifth good year added on to four, doesn't really raise his value; and he's not going to suddenly start throwing 96 to get teams to pay for his "stuff." The greater risk is that he has an off year, and that will kill his value as his value is one of consistency and contract, not stuff. A seller's market will not exist this time next year.

Quintana needs to be moved.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 28, 2016 -> 11:08 PM)
BlackSox13 brings up an intriguing idea. The Mariners.

Lewis/O'Neill/Neidert/Vogelbach/Haniger isn't terrible.

Someone on twitter suggested the Mariners as the 3rd team.

Mariners get McCutchen.

Pirates get Quintana

White Sox get Glasnow (MLB Pipeline #8), Lewis (MLB Pipeline #28), O'Neil (MLB Pipeline #60)

This would rival the Eaton and Sale returns as far as MLB Pipeline rankings.

Except with that knee injury, you never know if he'll come back at 100%.

Don't think they would trade for a player unless they've scoured all the doctor's reports and monitored in the spring. Possible, but unlikely. Plus projecting players from Mercer Univ. isn't a simple equation, either.