Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
You hailed?

I've been higher on Coats than most, guilty. I think he can make a fine MLB 4th OF. Maybe even a little more, getting platoon or short-term starting time on a non-first-tier or rebuilding team if the opportunity arose. That's my read anyway.

He's an odd case in that he doesn't have a single plus tool, except maybe his arm. But he's also no lower than 45 on any tool. Instead of the typical, White Sox "toolsy outfielder" types with 1-3 big tools and 1-2 huge holes in their game, Coats is the opposite. I think it plays, but we'll see. He's got similarities to a RHH Ross Gload type - can hit for average, some power but not at a plus level, doesn't walk much (or enough) but makes regular hard contact with an aggressive approach, line drive swing, has a little speed but nothing special. Gload had a stronger hit tool to be sure, but Coats plays at least average to above average corner OF D, as opposed to Gload being a 1B who can play OF in a pinch. A Gload-like career is Coats' ceiling, but as an OF instead of 1B/DH/PH/occasional OF.

Platoon him with Melky or Tilson (Liriano in CF when Coats plays) with Avi in RF.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
You hailed?

I've been higher on Coats than most, guilty. I think he can make a fine MLB 4th OF. Maybe even a little more, getting platoon or short-term starting time on a non-first-tier or rebuilding team if the opportunity arose. That's my read anyway.

He's an odd case in that he doesn't have a single plus tool, except maybe his arm. But he's also no lower than 45 on any tool. Instead of the typical, White Sox "toolsy outfielder" types with 1-3 big tools and 1-2 huge holes in their game, Coats is the opposite. I think it plays, but we'll see. He's got similarities to a RHH Ross Gload type - can hit for average, some power but not at a plus level, doesn't walk much (or enough) but makes regular hard contact with an aggressive approach, line drive swing, has a little speed but nothing special. Gload had a stronger hit tool to be sure, but Coats plays at least average to above average corner OF D, as opposed to Gload being a 1B who can play OF in a pinch. A Gload-like career is Coats' ceiling, but as an OF instead of 1B/DH/PH/occasional OF.

No offense, and I'm sure he's a fine young man, but why would we even waste oxygen discussing somebody

who is hopefully a Ross Gload? I mean, if I had a son who was a major leaguer like that, I'd be really proud, but

frankly I doubt if I'd spend any time touting him on a message board rather than talking about the players who will actually count.

QUOTE (RockfordJim @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 04:01 PM)
No offense, and I'm sure he's a fine young man, but why would we even waste oxygen discussing somebody

who is hopefully a Ross Gload? I mean, if I had a son who was a major leaguer like that, I'd be really proud, but

frankly I doubt if I'd spend any time touting him on a message board rather than talking about the players who will actually count.

THATS why you havent posted but 7 posts in 6 years. LOL

Because cheap, quality backups are nice to have.

um... someone asked me. Literally, called me out by name, because he knew my view of him was a little different than that of others (ask me about Spencer Adams and I'll go the opposite direction and be a negative contrarian). So I spent 20 seconds typing a response.

On a discussion forum.

About a player who is likely to be part of the 2017 team.

If you only want to discuss the Moncadas of the world, that's fine. They deserve more attention, and they get it. But role players and bench guys are also part of the picture, because no one has a 25-man team of Moncadas. About 40 players, give or take, will "count" in any given year for any given club.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
um... someone asked me. Literally, called me out by name, because he knew my view of him was a little different than that of others (ask me about Spencer Adams and I'll go the opposite direction and be a negative contrarian). So I spent 20 seconds typing a response.

On a discussion forum.

About a player who is likely to be part of the 2017 team.

If you only want to discuss the Moncadas of the world, that's fine. They deserve more attention, and they get it. But role players and bench guys are also part of the picture, because no one has a 25-man team of Moncadas. About 40 players, give or take, will "count" in any given year for any given club.

And the reason I brought you in is because you've got some of the best insight into the org and predicted Coats not being a write off years ago.

If you think he'll be useful, then I agree till proven wrong.

Okay, just to be a contrarian, where can we start a Rymer Liriano Fan Club?

Coats is just getting way too much attention, haha.

The stated goal...to create a White Sox line-up with totally Latin American players.

We've got Avi and Liriano for the OF (Basabe the most promising current prospect), Yoan Moncada, Carlos Sanchez and Jose Abreu for the infield, and Omar Narvaez at catcher.

P.S. PLEASE RE-SIGN ALEX RIOS!!! Or Armando Rios. Just to annoy Greg.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 09:47 PM)
The quiet is a bit disconcerting, especially with how close things seemed and how quickly talks picked up Tuesday. Starting to get a little nervous.

There hasn't even been a real FA signing. It appears these people aren't above the xmas to ny vacation.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 29, 2016 -> 09:47 PM)
The quiet is a bit disconcerting, especially with how close things seemed and how quickly talks picked up Tuesday. Starting to get a little nervous.

To be fair, no one actually confirmed anything was close. It just seems that way because that's all we've really had leaked as far discussion goes. I'm sure talks are still flowing with multiple teams.