Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:17 PM)
Tbh, it is possible we could still be contending while Q is under contract. Unless I'm blown away with an offer, I'm not so sure it makes sense to rush into selling Q. I would probably be interested in a Robles/Reynaldo Lopez ++ package, but it's a gamble. More incentive IMO to hang on to Q.

There's "asking to be blown away" then there's "asking for a fair value for an exceptionally valuable piece". Asking to be blown away was the White Sox asking for Betts and Benintendi for Sale last summer - if that was our reply, that is tantamount to "There is no chance we're trading this player at this time". I would not do that with Quintana. If we receive a fair offer for him, there is no reason not to move him. A fair offer for him is comparable to what just came back for Sale, due to the extra year of control, give or take. If a team puts that up, then you make the deal. If not, you may take a lesser price in a couple years, but he's still a moveable asset in a year or two.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
What about the Rangers? Mazara, Gallo, Profar are interesting pieces.

Mazara is the only remotely interesting guy out of that bunch. I think Gallo is a lost cause. He just doesn't make enough contact. Profar's been around for a while and still hasn't panned out.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:36 PM)
Giolito, Robles + for Q and Robertson.

Could it get done, if that's what was on the table for Sale?

Sale went for more than that, so I think that's fair for Q and Robertson. Q has more years of control and Robertson fills a big need for the Nats.

I think one thing that I'm realizing is that now with Sale off the table, that's one less guy you can acquire. Teams are gonna be flocking for Quintana and might end up overpaying for him.

Edited by chw42

jeff passan from yahoo on with waddle and silvy said the sox are getting offers about 95% of what they got for sale. some teams preferred Quintana. Sign me up for that.

The key to all this is to sell high on these guys, and now feels like the peak value for Jose. Same with eaton.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
I am just not a fan of the Rangers system. Gallo yuck. Profar has like 3 years of control and has Boras as his agent.

I'd be all for a Mazara package though.

Had they not given up half of their decent prospects for Lucroy and Beltran, their system would be way more interesting.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
I am just not a fan of the Rangers system. Gallo yuck. Profar has like 3 years of control and has Boras as his agent.

I'd be all for a Mazara package though.

Really sucks that the 2 years Profar spent on the DL counted towards his service time. Otherwise he would definitely be interesting.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
Mazara is the only remotely interesting guy out of that bunch. I think Gallo is a lost cause. He just doesn't make enough contact. Profar's been around for a while and still hasn't panned out.

Gallo and Profar would be interesting as pieces 3-4 in such a deal. If you stuck Mendez in there (MLB.com's #55 prospect) to make it a 4-pack, you've got a deal that intrigues me enough that I'm sitting down and talking to my scouts about it.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)
jeff passan from yahoo on with waddle and silvy said the sox are getting offers about 95% of what they got for sale. some teams preferred Quintana. Sign me up for that.

The key to all this is to sell high on these guys, and now feels like the peak value for Jose. Same with eaton.

Holy s***, yeah.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)

If the Pirates were in on either of them I'd have expected them to go after Quintana. Ditto the Astros. The Dodgers, Red Sox, and Nationals made more sense with Sale.

Absolutely. Sell on Eaton now. He'll never reach 6 WAR territory again. He's just not that kind of player.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
Hmm...wonder if Robles Gialito is still on the table? If not hopefully Houston realizes they need to step up for a SP now. And no Bregman still doesn't need to be involved. AJ Reed, Kyle Tucker, and David Paulino is real nice start though.

Lol dude...we are on the same page.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:40 PM)
Gallo and Profar would be interesting as pieces 3-4 in such a deal. If you stuck Mendez in there (MLB.com's #55 prospect) to make it a 4-pack, you've got a deal that intrigues me enough that I'm sitting down and talking to my scouts about it.

Yeah but if the offers are really 95% of the Sale offers, then I don't know how competitive that kind of offer is.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)
Yeah but if the offers are really 95% of the Sale offers, then I don't know how competitive that kind of offer is.

What would you expect?

No GM can easily sell him as an ace...so he's not going to get Giolito and Robles together, as much as his peripherals and contract might merit it.

95% seems just about fair. You were never going to get 100% on Q or Eaton, anyway.

If that's the case and they're already receiving offers like that, I'd expect a deal to happen relatively quickly..

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
@BNightengale

The #WhiteSox getting besieged with calls now for Jose Quintana, but the Sox are expected to step back, catch breath, before dealing him.

Apparently, trading Sale was too much work for the Front Office, they need a break.

"Catching breath" = making the other teams sweat and pay up to get him.