Quintana Rumors: Round and round and round we go

GGajewski18

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:18 PM)
This. The point of this rebuild is to turn a poor farm into a really, really good system. The Boston package got you your headliner, now let's get 8-10 guys for Q and Eaton.

Yeah, this is now how you find a mess of starting players for down the line.

Does anyone know how intl free agency will work this summer? I know that the penalized teams are capped but are the sox capped at any number? Assuming that there are some rules to not allow the remaining teams to avoid penalties the next few years with the CBA going into place.

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
Correct. This is officially Hahn's team now, if we deal Q, Frazier, Melky, Robertson, and Eaton, it sets us up well for the '18 FA class with injecting our minor league system and incorporate some of the talent onto the MLB roster by then. Ladies and Gentlemen, hold onto your butts, the White Sox may be on the radar quicker than we think. Did I mention tanking for a year or two sets us up nicely for a top 5 pick?

This trade tells me the opposite. None of the guys they got today are ready. If they get a Swanson, Bregman, Benitdendi etc, yeah, maybe they are closer. Moncada and company probably is adding another year to this cycle.

In all seriousness, Sox fans should just forget about competing in this decade.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:25 PM)
Does anyone know how intl free agency will work this summer? I know that the penalized teams are capped but are the sox capped at any number? Assuming that there are some rules to not allow the remaining teams to avoid penalties the next few years with the CBA going into place.

From what I understand, they can pay any player what they want to, but they have a cap as a team that cannot be breached. Something like $5 million.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
This trade tells me the opposite. None of the guys they got today are ready. If they get a Swanson, Bregman, Benitdendi etc, yeah, maybe they are closer. Moncada and company probably is adding another year to this cycle.

I still think you are being pessimistic. But if you do end up being correct, 2020 will be here before we know it!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
From what I understand, they can pay any player what they want to, but they have a cap as a team that cannot be breached. Something like $5 million.

That kinda sucks. But I guess we win longterm for Jerry as owner at least.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:27 PM)

A lot depends on if we choose to compete in the 2018 market.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 05:22 PM)
I want more for Quintana than what they got for Sale or I wouldn't trade him. He's the best pitcher on the market now and is under control for longer than Sale.

Do we get extra wins at the end of the season for having him on the roster or something?? Trading Sale for what we did was waving the white flag of a rebuild. Holding onto a good pitcher on a bad does nothing for us. Trade Q for another 2 building blocks like Moncada/Kopech + a couple of lottery tickets and all of a sudden there is a bright future ahead. Of course it's not a bullet proof plan, but it's still a heck of a lot better than what we've been doing.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
I still think you are being pessimistic. But if you do end up being correct, 2020 will be here before we know it!

Just looking at this deal, Moncada is a mid 2017 arrival, in a best case scenario, though I feel pretty good in that being fairly accurate. Unless he absolutely bombs next year, September call up at the latest.

Diaz and Basabe are probably late 2018 at best, probably more like sometime in 2019. Kopech put in 52 IP at A+. At a level a year that puts him in the Sept 2018 to 2019 crowd.

The depth we currently have in the minors is mostly years away on the top end. Collins could be here as a bat in a year, but that means he is a DH or 1B, and not a Catcher, as that part of his game will require tons of reps to catch up.

Fulmer could help some time next year as a starter, but will probably be against an innings cap next year anyway, so probably push him to mid 17 or later. If you want Burdi as a reliever he could help now, but if you want to push him as a starter he is probably years away due to IP needing to be stretched out.

Adams has a pretty serious fall off this year in AA, so I wouldn't count on him being a this year player, but it is possible I supposed. I'd say Sept 17, but probably more like mid 18.

Sure we will get more guys in other deals, but the star players that could help us in the short term aren't coming to us in those deals.

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
A lot depends on if we choose to compete in the 2018 market.

We will be at the absolute bottom of our rebuild or close to it in terms of fan support. I would say no pretty clearly on that idea, at least at the mega star level.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 05:52 PM)
Or acquire extra money to go all in on Otani next winter.

I doubt Otani comes over if the cap applies to him which it sounds like he will. I bet he waits till he is 25 to come over and then signs a multi hundred million dollar deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:54 PM)
We will be at the absolute bottom of our rebuild or close to it in terms of fan support. I would say no pretty clearly on that idea, at least at the mega star level.

I'm not sure I agree with that...let's see what else they do though.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
I'm not sure I agree with that...let's see what else they do though.

I think that is one of the easiest things to project. Sox fans are pretty simple in that the more you lose, the fewer show up. They don't really buy into things until after the fact of winning.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 04:54 PM)

At least Rick has been clear that this IS a rebuild. That's something Sox fans have seen on the other side of town.

If we're going to be bad, let's be bad and rebuild, not be bad and go for it every year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
I think that is one of the easiest things to project. Sox fans are pretty simple in that the more you lose, the fewer show up. They don't really buy into things until after the fact of winning.

We'll see.

I'm ordering my Moncada jersey as I type...

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 05:08 PM)
The big free agent class is two years from now. Even if we shoot for 2020 instead of 2019 it could still make sense to be players in that class because any we sign will likely be here for several years.

Should be interesting what happens with contracts by then. Before this CBA, I would expect some insane $ numbers.

What is Moncada's jersey number going to be with the Sox?

Press conference scheduled, or is he out of the country? You would think with season ticket renewals going out that they'd try to milk Moncada for all he's worth, along with Anderson and Rodon.

Yeah, and after 2018, they'll have a much better idea where they at in the rebuilding process. Serious players...not for Harper and Machado, but the next tier is certainly a possibility.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
What is Moncada's jersey number going to be with the Sox?

Press conference scheduled, or is he out of the country? You would think with season ticket renewals going out that they'd try to milk Moncada for all he's worth, along with Anderson and Rodon.

Dunno...most likely whatever the heck he wants it to be...trying to figure that out at the moment...