Chris Sale Appreciation Thread

Jose Abreu

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This kid has the talent to break franchise records, win multiple Cy Young's, anchor the rotation for a playoff team. I wish he could've been a White Sox lifer (I will overlook the maturity issues) because it was such a joy watching him pitch. Unfortunately for him and the team his individual success has amounted to absolutely nothing in terms of team success. It's a shame to see him go.

Edited by 2005thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:05 AM)
Loved Sale on the mound, but his locker room antics and the whole Duck Dynasty attitude was, at best, unlikeable.

This Chris Sale being a cancer talk is really wearing me out. The cutting up of the uniforms was no big deal, folks. It just wasn't. Who gives a f*** that he cut up uniforms, ugly embarrassing uniforms he DID NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE pitching in. People get on pitchers for needing Tommy John surgery. I don't want Sale out there pitching when he's uncomfortable. He warned the White Sox he wasn't gonna pitch in the uniform and the front office didn't care. So he tore up the unis. Good for him.

What else did he do that was bad?? Not wanting to come out of games and yelling at Ventura a few times? There are a handful of pitchers in baseball who won't come out: Verlander, cough cough; others. Who gives a f*** if he yelled at Robin? Again Chris was right. Robin was the second worse manager in Sox history behind Bevington. he was an utter embarrassment.

So why hate on Chris Sale??? These transgressions have been overblown.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 12:58 AM)
This Chris Sale being a cancer talk is really wearing me out. The cutting up of the uniforms was no big deal, folks. It just wasn't. Who gives a f*** that he cut up uniforms, ugly embarrassing uniforms he DID NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE pitching in. People get on pitchers for needing Tommy John surgery. I don't want Sale out there pitching when he's uncomfortable. He warned the White Sox he wasn't gonna pitch in the uniform and the front office didn't care. So he tore up the unis. Good for him.

What else did he do that was bad?? Not wanting to come out of games and yelling at Ventura a few times? There are a handful of pitchers in baseball who won't come out: Verlander, cough cough; others. Who gives a f*** if he yelled at Robin? Again Chris was right. Robin was the second worse manager in Sox history behind Bevington. he was an utter embarrassment.

Because he's a grown man?

And LMAO at you trying to say pitching in throwbacks would give him Tommy John surgery.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 07:05 AM)
Because he's a grown man?

And LMAO at you trying to say pitching in throwbacks would give him Tommy John surgery.

So he's not perfect, shoot him. Again, what did he do that was so bad?? Why would you back the front office, our inept front office on the uniform issue?

As far as your final line of the post ... I stand by my statement. I don't want Chris Sale throwing one baseball in a uniform he is totally uncomfortable in. I guess some fans wanted him to go out there like a good soldier and get shelled or walk six guys in a row and get taken out. It's OK to criticize management once in a while, Quinarvy. Our front office has a horrific record right now. I mean how can you defend an organization that thought it a good idea to have Ventura manage the team? We'll never even know if this team could have made the playoffs with a competent manager. The Sox have had some talent in the Ventura era. Probably not enough talent, but arguably enough talent to have made the playoffs a year or two.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 12:58 AM)

I give a f*** that he destroyed their uniforms. I don't want a petulant child on my team. He's an asshat and now he's gone.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:19 AM)
So he's not perfect, shoot him. Again, what did he do that was so bad?? Why would you back the front office, our inept front office on the uniform issue?

As far as your final line of the post ... I stand by my statement. I don't want Chris Sale throwing one baseball in a uniform he is totally uncomfortable in. I guess some fans wanted him to go out there like a good soldier and get shelled or walk six guys in a row and get taken out. It's OK to criticize management once in a while, Quinarvy. Our front office has a horrific record right now. I mean how can you defend an organization that thought it a good idea to have Ventura manage the team? We'll never even know if this team could have made the playoffs with a competent manager. The Sox have had some talent in the Ventura era. Probably not enough talent, but arguably enough talent to have made the playoffs a year or two.

Yeah, Robin was awful and KW oversteps his bounds.

One role where they failed as management was allowing Sale to be a petulant child and do whatever he wants.

However, this thread is no place for that. Dude was great for the Sox, hopefully he'll get a ring with his new team. And hopefully Moncada and Kopech turn into Cano and Syndergaard

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:19 AM)

greg, all these questions were answered numerous times for you back in June or whenever it was. The answers still have not changed.

I haven't seen many games in person, but I've seen a few. The most memorable:

-Mark Buehrle's first career start (2000, 3-2)

-Buehrle duel Pavano in 2010 (2-1L. Paulie came up with a runner on 3rd with 1 out in the 9th, and struck out)

-Chris Sale made the Twins look silly, Youkilis hit a donger, and the Sox won 6-1

Never felt a personal connection to Sale, like I have Abreu, even in their short time, but the dude is a great pitcher who wants to win. Glad he's in a position to do so.

Sox may as well sign Buehrle next year.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:41 PM)
Unless I'm missing something here, besides the jersey cutting incident here, what other instances can we point to to conclude Chris Sale is an "asshat"?

None. To go back to the point of the post I love Chris sale true competitor one of my favorites ever

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
How about Sale cursing out Kenny Williams during the Drake LaRoche incident?

Is Chris Sale a a hard head? Does he stand by what he believes in? Is he a rebel? I think yes, he rebels against management for what he believes in, but I don't think that makes him an asshole. Did he punch a teammate in the face? Did he beat his wife or sleep with another teammate's? Did he get away with murder charges like other pro athletes have? Or does he have the facial expression of one Conor Gillaspie... I didn't think so. Unless people have more specific evidence or know him personally I think it's silly to declare Sale an asshole now that he's with another org.

By all accounts I think he's a pretty cool dude based on how he interacted with the fans (some on this forum had first hand experience), the way he stuck his neck out for a kid, and his post game interviews.

Edited by 2005thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
Is Chris Sale a a hard head? Does he stand by what he believes in? Is he a rebel? I think yes, he rebels against management for what he believes in, but I don't think that makes him an asshole. Did he punch a teammate in the face? Did he beat his wife or sleep with another teammate's? Did he get away with murder charges like other pro athletes have? Or does he have the facial expression of one Conor Gillaspie... I didn't think so. Unless people have more specific evidence or know him personally I think it's silly to declare Sale an asshole now that he's with another org.

By all accounts I think he's a pretty cool dude based on how he interacted with the fans (some on this forum had first hand experience), the way he stuck his neck out for a kid, and his post game interviews.

It's just White Sox fan mentality. They have to find something wrong with their nice things. Sale is pretty flawless on the field, so when he calls that asshole KW an asshole, the guy is a total douchebag. The same thing happens with Eaton. There was some anonymous comment when he was traded here how it was addition by subtraction for AZ because he was cocky. Eaton addressed it right away, said he was surprised anyone felt like that, apologized if he offended anyone. Thought he got along with everyone OK, said he had to play with a chip on his shoulder and a cocky attitude to be successful. He is successful, and even though he has been here 3 years, no one plays harder, he now has attitude issues, you know from that report in AZ. He's a clubhouse cancer, no one can stand him even though they made him the player rep, and he's pretty certain to have a public meltdown if the Sox trade away most of their core but keep him.

It's some of the goofiest stuff I have ever read. And I've read most of Caulfield's posts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
It's just White Sox fan mentality. They have to find something wrong with their nice things. Sale is pretty flawless on the field, so when he calls that asshole KW an asshole, the guy is a total douchebag. The same thing happens with Eaton. There was some anonymous comment when he was traded here how it was addition by subtraction for AZ because he was cocky. Eaton addressed it right away, said he was surprised anyone felt like that, apologized if he offended anyone. Thought he got along with everyone OK, said he had to play with a chip on his shoulder and a cocky attitude to be successful. He is successful, and even though he has been here 3 years, no one plays harder, he now has attitude issues, you know from that report in AZ. He's a clubhouse cancer, no one can stand him even though they made him the player rep, and he's pretty certain to have a public meltdown if the Sox trade away most of their core but keep him.

It's some of the goofiest stuff I have ever read. And I've read most of Caulfield's posts.

LOL at the bold part.

Not everyone can be like Buehrle or Konerko. If you look closely every player on the team has their flaws, some stories you just don't hear. I don't expect pro athletes to be perfects human beings. I don't know Sale nor Eaton off the field, but they both busted their ass off for the team and seem like pretty cool dudes based on articles or interviews. That's all I care about.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 12:41 PM)
Unless I'm missing something here, besides the jersey cutting incident here, what other instances can we point to to conclude Chris Sale is an "asshat"?

Trying to get into the Royals clubhouse to fight someone after being ejected in the brawl.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)

What did Ken Williams do that made him an asshole? He was responding to a complaint from in the locker room.

And if you cut up an entire wardrobe of jerseys before a game because you don't like the color, you're a jerk.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)

Yeah, Dick, you're right. "White Sox fan mentality issues" - such a problem plaguing the organization. Would explain I guess how both Sale and Eaton have been practically been booed off the field every time they've stepped on it over the past few years, because our bad, 'ol fans have found some much "wrong with these nice things". I mean, what in the heck are you talking about! GMAFB already with this nonsense!

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
What did Ken Williams do that made him an asshole? He was responding to a complaint from in the locker room.

And if you cut up an entire wardrobe of jerseys before a game because you don't like the color, you're a jerk.

That's not the story. He cut up the jersey because they weren't comfortable to pitch in, it would affect his performance. He complained to Brooks Hoyer and the FO but they won't listen. Sale felt that the management was too focused on marketing and jersey sales, not winning or the baseball game itself. He rebelled and cut up the jersey.

To each their own, I don't think I, or other fans, need to hate or hold a grudge on him for this.

I don't think anyone is saying Sale isn't a stellar teammate. He seems like the type of guy that would give you the shirt off his back.

He just has authority problems and can act insane sometimes. I know I have a similar temper sometimes when playing sports, but I don't make millions.

Ultimately it's not a reason to trade him, King Felix is the reason to trade him and Sale will always be a South Side legend who I'd love for them to get back one day. Despite that, he's an insane SOB which is his biggest strength and weakness.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
I don't think anyone is saying Sale isn't a stellar teammate. He seems like the type of guy that would give you the shirt off his back.

He just has authority problems and can act insane sometimes. I know I have a similar temper sometimes when playing sports, but I don't make millions.

Ultimately it's not a reason to trade him, King Felix is the reason to trade him and Sale will always be a South Side legend who I'd love for them to get back one day. Despite that, he's an insane SOB which is his biggest strength and weakness.

This is the best post made on this topic yet. You have to acknowledge the guy has major problems with authority, but it also seems to be channeled into winning games for most of the time. The problem is that Sale can't always control when the crazy comes out. At least twice it has hurt the team with his missing time because of it in the form of suspensions.