Chris Sale Appreciation Thread

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:36 PM)
That's not the story. He cut up the jersey because they weren't comfortable to pitch in, it would affect his performance. He complained to Brooks Hoyer and the FO but they won't listen. Sale felt that the management was too focused on marketing and jersey sales, not winning or the baseball game itself. He rebelled and cut up the jersey.

To each their own, I don't think I, or other fans, need to hate or hold a grudge on him for this.

It was on the calendar for months. The apologists for that episode are ridiculous. If Anderson went nuts and did that he'd have been sent to AAA, someone like Lawrie would probably get cut.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:27 PM)
What did Ken Williams do that made him an asshole? He was responding to a complaint from in the locker room.

And if you cut up an entire wardrobe of jerseys before a game because you don't like the color, you're a jerk.

He has done a lot to make himself an asshole. He got into a verbal war with maybe the greatest player in franchise history saying the "man is an idiot". He went and signed a washed up Jeff Nelson in 2006 for the sole purpose of making Frank Thomas look bad because Frank had a bad history against him. It didn't work. Frank lit him up and Nelson was quickly released. He got into a public spat with his old manager. He has stepped on his current GMs toes several times. He has sparred verbally with fans at Soxfest who have every questioned his ways. Not to mention when Ron Schueler resigned as GM, he recommended Danny Evans to JR because he thought KW's personality would rub other teams the wrong way and would lead to problems.

As for cutting up jerseys, I've stated there is no defense. When I first heard it I laughed it off. It couldn't possibly be true, but it was. But I think he honestly thought it would hurt his performance. It's silly, he's probably not the brightest guy, but it really doesn't make him a jerk.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
It was on the calendar for months. The apologists for that episode are ridiculous. If Anderson went nuts and did that he'd have been sent to AAA, someone like Lawrie would probably get cut.

Does not mean he got to try on the jersey months before. And without knowing the details behind the scene, who knows Sale didn't bring up this issue before and FO chose to ignore, so he went the extreme? I am saying he's a rebel and a hard head. But there is a fine line between that and an "asshat" that being thrown around here.

And come on, it's like you're comparing Jimmy Butler or D Wade to Denzel Valentine or Doug McDermott here. In every sport, your best players are always treated differently by THE TEAM. I didn't hear Sale asking for superstar treatment here.

Edited by 2005thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Does not mean he got to try on the jersey months before. And without knowing the details behind the scene, who knows Sale didn't bring up this issue before and FO chose to ignore, so he went the extreme? I am saying he's a rebel and a hard head. But there is a fine line between that and an "asshat" that being thrown around here.

And come on, it's like you're comparing Jimmy Butler or D Wade to Denzel Valentine or Doug McDermott here. In every sport, your best players are always treated differently by THE TEAM. I didn't hear Sale asking for superstar treatment here.

Asking a team NOT to have a jersey because he didn't like it sure sounds like the superstar treatment to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
Asking a team NOT to have a jersey because he didn't like it sure sounds like the superstar treatment to me.

I'm specifically responding to the repercussion Q mentioned for Lawrie or Anderson. I didn't hear Sale saying I'm Chris freaking Sale, you cannot cut me or suspend me for my actions.

Edited by 2005thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:00 PM)
I'm specifically responding to the repercussion Q mentioned for Lawrie or Anderson. I didn't hear Sale saying I'm Chris freaking Sale, you cannot cut me or suspend me for my actions.

My point was Sale got away with a lot of s*** that is unacceptable because of his talent. Obviously sports provide superstar treatment, but people need to stop acting like its excusable, because if one player does it and it's insane, it's insane for all players.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
My point was Sale got away with a lot of s*** that is unacceptable because of his talent. Obviously sports provide superstar treatment, but people need to stop acting like its excusable, because if one player does it and it's insane, it's insane for all players.

And I think 99% of other players don't even ask. But because Sale got away with stupidity in the past, he had no problem asking. To me that is start treatment.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)

What other s***?

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:01 AM)
Is Chris Sale a a hard head? Does he stand by what he believes in? Is he a rebel? I think yes, he rebels against management for what he believes in, but I don't think that makes him an asshole. Did he punch a teammate in the face? Did he beat his wife or sleep with another teammate's? Did he get away with murder charges like other pro athletes have? Or does he have the facial expression of one Conor Gillaspie... I didn't think so. Unless people have more specific evidence or know him personally I think it's silly to declare Sale an asshole now that he's with another org.

By all accounts I think he's a pretty cool dude based on how he interacted with the fans (some on this forum had first hand experience), the way he stuck his neck out for a kid, and his post game interviews.

Thank you. This is supposed to be an appreciation thread. I can't believe a few MINOR offenses and a few of the big mouths here declare Sale insane without ever having known him. True ace, True competitor, True winner. Gave the Six a huge hometown discount . The hate is misplaced. Management has done way more to hurt the Sox than Chris Sale ever has .

Nice to know corporate America will continue to crush the working man . God forbid the working man who at first tries to reason with management only to be ignored does something a little more drastic. Yes I know Chris Sale isn't your typical blue collar worker but the principles are the same.Why do you think there are no more Jimmy Hoffa's out there ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Fantastic fantastic pitcher. So damn fun to watch and so bittersweet this move is. So sad we couldn't built a contender around this elite of a pitcher (and really him and Q). Very sad indeed. Always gave it his all and I know he will do fantastic for Boston and be good to whoop our asses for the next few seasons, but hopefully the move works out well for us as well.