Catcher

Real

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
I say Wellington Castillo, or just bring back Avila. Let Narvaez get good playing time.

I do think the Sox will probably acquire a ML ready catcher in one of these deals though. Tom Murphy from the Rox or Pedro Severino from the Nats are two to keep an eye on.

I just wish Avila could stay healthy. He'd be a great tutor Narvaez and then hopefully you get him in a coaching role eventually.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:42 AM)
I say Wellington Castillo, or just bring back Avila. Let Narvaez get good playing time.

I do think the Sox will probably acquire a ML ready catcher in one of these deals though. Tom Murphy from the Rox or Pedro Severino from the Nats are two to keep an eye on.

Several other teams are in on Castillo, and unless we pay him the most I don't see why he would not want to go elsewhere considering we are tearing it all down

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
I just wish Avila could stay healthy. He'd be a great tutor Narvaez and then hopefully you get him in a coaching role eventually.

I am all for that if we are unable to nab a decent ML catcher in a deal. Avila, while horrifically frustrating to watch at the plate, is a decent player. Just can't expect more than 60 or so games from him. Problem is, Sox literally have no one behind Narvaez.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
I am all for that if we are unable to nab a decent ML catcher in a deal. Avila, while horrifically frustrating to watch at the plate, is a decent player. Just can't expect more than 60 or so games from him. Problem is, Sox literally have no one behind Narvaez.

Honestly signing Ianetta / Suzuki or Avila to go along with Narvaez is probably what we are going to get right now

Unless we can swing a trade for a close to mlb ready catching prospect

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 09:50 AM)
Honestly signing Ianetta / Suzuki or Avila to go along with Narvaez is probably what we are going to get right now

Unless we can swing a trade for a close to mlb ready catching prospect

Suzuki is a bad idea. He is a horrible defensive catcher. We need real catchers to help what is likely to be a very young staff.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
Suzuki is a bad idea. He is a horrible defensive catcher. We need real catchers to help what is likely to be a very young staff.

Current options include:

- Trade for a young catcher

- Chris Ianetta

- Ryan Hanigan (bad defense)

-Kurt Suzuki

- Al Avila

- Welington Castillo (likely going to get overpaid and has several teams interested)

- Matt Wieters (would make no sense for us)

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:19 AM)
Current options include:

- Trade for a young catcher

- Chris Ianetta

- Ryan Hanigan (bad defense)

-Kurt Suzuki

- Al Avila

- Welington Castillo (likely going to get overpaid and has several teams interested)

- Matt Wieters (would make no sense for us)

I agree. Sign him to a one year deal or one year with an option and see if he can rebuild value.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 08:21 PM)
I think long term you try to develop Collins. Flowers came a long way defensively in the Sox system. Until they are trying to compete, I don't think it is imperative they find a long term guy. When they are ready to win, it should mean they can carry an offensively challenged guy back there, so you find a veteran pitch framer who calls a good game. Catchers are hard to find, hard to develop, have a bust rate, but some come out of nowhere. I would hate the Sox not get big time value somewhere else and get smoked takimg on a mediocre catcher.

You absolutely let Collins catch until he forces you not to.

But at the same time, you still look to target young catching just because of its rarity around baseball, and the system wide need.

One guy I got my eye on is Garrett Stubbs with the Astros. I'd like him as a 3rd or 4th piece in a Q deal, or maybe the 2nd or 3rd piece in a deal for one of the relievers( believe I remember they needed relievers).

Hit over .300 with an OBP in the .390s. He was defensive player of the year at USC as a senior a few years ago, so you would assume his defense is good. No clue on his pitch framing. Baseball reference does have him also listed as a DH which might tell you something about his framing..or that his defensive player of the year award was a sham.

This year they may as well give Narvaez and Smith a shot.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 07:42 AM)
One guy I got my eye on is Garrett Stubbs with the Astros. I'd like him as a 3rd or 4th piece in a Q deal, or maybe the 2nd or 3rd piece in a deal for one of the relievers( believe I remember they needed relievers).

Hit over .300 with an OBP in the .390s. He was defensive player of the year at USC as a senior a few years ago, so you would assume his defense is good. No clue on his pitch framing. Baseball reference does have him also listed as a DH which might tell you something about his framing..or that his defensive player of the year award was a sham.

I think they need to bring in a Veteran like Ianetta to platoon with Narvaez and Smith. That could be serviceable for the next season.

Ianetta is nothing flashy, but at least has average catching defense metrics it seems

Having a non-horrible pitch framer is useful because you don't want to stack the odds against your young pitchers. If you're going to bring in a vet trying to rebuild his value, you'd like for him to be a guy who can help develop your pitching staff.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 08:59 AM)
Robertsons value is difficult to figure out. But I would be happy to deal for Severino. But the Nationals catchers aren't very good with Ramos gone so maybe they are keeping him.

Yah, was a bit surprised to not see him added to the Nats deal with Robertson going back. I think it signals that they either were still shooting for Chapman and Jansen and/or want to keep Severino. Like you said, they don't have much else.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 09:19 AM)
Yah, was a bit surprised to not see him added to the Nats deal with Robertson going back. I think it signals that they either were still shooting for Chapman and Jansen and/or want to keep Severino. Like you said, they don't have much else.

Teams do not like to part with catching depth, especially a contending team like the Nats. Since Ramos is gone they will need depth and likely want to keep Severino around

Plus, I think Robertson could potentially be worth more

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 07:42 AM)

I keep seeing Stubbs come up as a target.

I saw him in the AFL this year, so I thought I would pass this along. I think his lack of attention as a prospect becomes obvious once you see him. He's lucky if he is 5'9" 160 lbs. I'm not kidding, he looked like the bat boy warming up the pitcher when he first came out. His arm strength was average at best and he clearly had an advanced approach at the plate, but there is little power projection in his swing. He would get by on average, because his OBP will not likely translate as well at the MLB level with the approach I saw.

He has a lot to overcome to be a backup on an MLB roster. I would shoot for someone with better upside.

That being said, he handled pitchers well and was really quick behind the plate. Collins seemed to be constantly talking to him, so he looked like a good mentor.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
Another name in a potential trade partner is Murphy from COL.

I'm under the impression that Murphy's issue is whether his defense can stick behind the plate. And he's 26 years old. Don't get me wrong, I'd like him as part of a package with the Rockies as a back end piece, but it's hard to see where Murphy fits in a long rebuild.

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 10:11 AM)

I saw him in the AFL this year, so I thought I would pass this along. I think his lack of attention as a prospect becomes obvious once you see him. He's lucky if he is 5'9" 160 lbs. I'm not kidding, he looked like the bat boy warming up the pitcher when he first came out. His arm strength was average at best and he clearly had an advanced approach at the plate, but there is little power projection in his swing. He would get by on average, because his OBP will not likely translate as well at the MLB level with the approach I saw.

He has a lot to overcome to be a backup on an MLB roster. I would shoot for someone with better upside.

That being said, he handled pitchers well and was really quick behind the plate. Collins seemed to be constantly talking to him, so he looked like a good mentor.

That's crazy, I kinda of want to see him in action now.

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)

Astros have him at 5'10" 170 lbs. Kind of a latter day Hobie Landrith.