2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

With the team trading Sale and looking to sell off their other valuable ML assets, the Sox look poised for a very high pick in the 2018 draft.

Let's focus on 2017 for now buts let's keep track of players that could be in the mix for that draft class, like Seth Beer for example.

#TankForBeer

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 9, 2016 -> 10:02 AM)
How come he isn't eligible to be in the draft next year? I'm not disappointed (since we pick 11) just curious.

Gotta have 3 yrs of college, unless it is a JC. He has played one year, so he can be drafted in 2018.

Earlier this past season I asked JJ Cooper on Twitter, who the top player in the 2018 draft class is and said it's between Beer and Joe Gray.

Joe Gray:

From Perfect Game:

Joe Gray Jr is a 2018 OF/IF, UT with a 6-2 185 lb. frame from Hattiesburg, MS who attends Hattiesburg. Large, athletic frame with square shoulders and long limbs, outstanding present athleticism with fast-twitch muscle throughout body. Primary outfielder, moves to the ball very well with long strides, full arm action coming through the back and gets on top of throws well, plus arm strength and projects for more, gains momentum and works over front side well, ball comes out cleanly with carry and accuracy. Righthanded hitter, begins swing with a high leg lift trigger for timing, active hands with some timing mechanisms to swing. Loose wrists with easy swing coming through zone, solid present bat speed with a line drive swing plane, ball jumps off hard to pull side and projects for even more strength moving forward. Turns the barrel nicely and generates backspin at point of contact, easy power when squared off the barrel. Highest level tools across the board. Very good student. named to Junior National Top Prospect List.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/PlayerP...ID=469872#Video

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 01:32 AM)
You would have to think we will be in the top 2 for the 2018 draft. What a time to be alive. Gray looks amazing but Beer looks unworldly.

I don't know man, it's not like we are far and away one of the worst teams. I think top 10 draft pick is a safe bet, and top 5 is a good chance. But we would have to move Q, Frazier, Robertson, Jones, Abreu for me to think we have a chance at #1.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 03:09 AM)
I don't know man, it's not like we are far and away one of the worst teams. I think top 10 draft pick is a safe bet, and top 5 is a good chance. But we would have to move Q, Frazier, Robertson, Jones, Abreu for me to think we have a chance at #1.

I guess you are right but i would say if we trade quintana it would be pretty close.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 02:09 AM)

Agree. We are still kinda far from being worse than Reds, Brewers, A's, Padres, Phillies and Braves (most likely).

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 02:09 AM)

If we move Q, Frazier, Robertson, & Jennings we should be pretty terrible next year. Plus we would likely move more guys at the deadline. I think the #1 pick is a legit possibility is Hahn fully commits to this rebuild and deals most of the veterans.

The Sox will probably still be better on paper than a few of the tanking NL teams by virtue of Rodon, Abreu and Anderson alone. BUT, the Sox wont face an NL schedule. Sox are in the ultra-competitive AL where the only other teams that could even be considered rebuilding are the Twins who badly want to start winning, the A's where Beane is up to god knows what and the Yankees who still hand out $80m contracts while they rebuild.

The Reds and Brewers have to play each other 19 times a year, and they have series against the Braves, Padres and Phillies to boot. When these horrible teams play each other someone has to win, that's what keeps these AAA rosters from breaking loss records. The bilge of the NL is kind of like a self-sustaining organism that keeps anyone from losing too much.

No such thing in the AL. The rest of the AL is going to run train on the poor White Sox without mercy. Especially the division where the Twins want to forget 2016 ever happened, the Tigers are going to make another run at it with this core, the Royals are still in their window and the Indians are coming off losing game 7 of the WS in extras. That's 76 games and it is going to be a bloodbath. The loss record is in sight if the Sox keep making trades. I for one hope they dont make history but #1 overall in 2018 sure would be nice.

Edited by Con te Giolito

I have faith. I think if Q and Robertson is gone this week then they're well on their way. It's not like Abreu, Melky and Frazier can carry this team. The pitching will be substantially worse. If they move any of Melky, Abreu or Frazier, then that'll add to it even more. I really think they're going to be a top 3 pick. They need to do whatever it takes to get that first overall pick. Tanking is needed and best for this franchise for the next year or two.

I asked JJ Cooper on Twitter, about his thoughts on Gray and Beer and he said that we can add Brice Turang to that group. Nathan Rode from PrepBaseballReport.com said that Jarred Kelenic is another player that you can throw into that group and said that he would take Turang and Kelenic over both Beer and Gray.

Turang:

Kelenic:

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 02:18 PM)
The Sox will probably still be better on paper than a few of the tanking NL teams by virtue of Rodon, Abreu and Anderson alone. BUT, the Sox wont face an NL schedule. Sox are in the ultra-competitive AL where the only other teams that could even be considered rebuilding are the Twins who badly want to start winning, the A's where Beane is up to god knows what and the Yankees who still hand out $80m contracts while they rebuild.

The Reds and Brewers have to play each other 19 times a year, and they have series against the Braves, Padres and Phillies to boot. When these horrible teams play each other someone has to win, that's what keeps these AAA rosters from breaking loss records. The bilge of the NL is kind of like a self-sustaining organism that keeps anyone from losing too much.

No such thing in the AL. The rest of the AL is going to run train on the poor White Sox without mercy. Especially the division where the Twins want to forget 2016 ever happened, the Tigers are going to make another run at it with this core, the Royals are still in their window and the Indians are coming off losing game 7 of the WS in extras. That's 76 games and it is going to be a bloodbath. The loss record is in sight if the Sox keep making trades. I for one hope they dont make history but #1 overall in 2018 sure would be nice.

It's shocking to think how bad some NL teams would be if they had to play an American League schedule

Going full rebuild in the AL should put us in Minnesota Twins territory of sucking. If we deal Quintana, Robertson, etc. you can pencil in about 60 wins

A full AAA replacement level team is estimated to win about 43 major league games, we would not be more than 20 games above that with a rotation of Rodon/Gonzalez/Shields/Holland/Bozo