2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 05:04 PM)
Kelenic been impressing people. He's in the UA game at wrigley in an hour

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/under...otes/?amphtml=1

Kelenic has to be on the WSox radar.

He played for the WSox in the area code games in Long Beach last summer (Sox coaches loved him: www.baseballamerica.com/area-code-baseball/kelenic-making-name-known-2018-class/%3famphtml=1)

He won the MVP of the Double Duty Classic at Guaranteed Rate a few weeks ago (the Minoso family presented him with the MVP)

His bat speed is the real deal...I'm starting to jump on his way too early bandwagon for our first pick next year.

Edited by rockren

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 10:25 PM)
Beer under slot and spread the money to later.

Beer would be a terrible pick at #1 or #2 IMO. Get the most dynamic talent possible at the top of the draft and go underslot in round 2 if need be. You don't get cute when picking this high.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 10:52 PM)
Beer would be a terrible pick at #1 or #2 IMO. Get the most dynamic talent possible at the top of the draft and go underslot in round 2 if need be. You don't get cute when picking this high.

No he wouldn't be. Kid was putting up legendary numbers as a freshman. I have 0 doubts he'll be fantastic next year. His bat is special. Obviously with the sox recent top picks, they don't value the defensive side of the game others do. I'm personally more on the Turang train, but lets not act like Beer isn't a top 5 talent in the country.

Who is the last MLB star to grow up in Wisconsin? Just curious.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=m...itting/2017/ALL

Austin Beck hasn't exactly distinguished himself so far, fwi.

Royce Lewis, though, has had a strong pro debut for the Twins.

Hunter Greene will start out as a DH and potentially reliever for Billings as early as Tuesday.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 02:29 AM)

Hunter Greene will start out as a DH and potentially reliever for Billings as early as Tuesday.

Jordan Zimmerman?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 01:03 AM)
No he wouldn't be. Kid was putting up legendary numbers as a freshman. I have 0 doubts he'll be fantastic next year. His bat is special. Obviously with the sox recent top picks, they don't value the defensive side of the game others do. I'm personally more on the Turang train, but lets not act like Beer isn't a top 5 talent in the country.

A college 1B has never gone #1 overall, and for good reason. If Beer can't stick in the OF his value is limited as a bat only player. He'd be a top 10 pick, but likely not in the top 5.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 03:03 AM)

If Beer shows any development with the glove next year, I don't see how he isn't the top talent in the draft.

And if he is the top of the Sox board, take him and go underslot. The Twins just did this with someone who didn't have historic college numbers and were lauded for their draft.

Also, lest we forget, Rodon got passed over for two new guys on the block because he had prospect fatigue.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 03:29 AM)

I'm not gonna base who we draft out of their state.

Beer is abysmal defensively. Unless the hit/power tools are truly completely otherworldly, I'd be a bit hesitant drafting him at #1 or #2. It's super early though and luckily we have the entire prep/college season to pore over the options. I'm hoping a few of the other position players (Turang/Kelenic/Swaggerty/Eierman) separate themselves from the pack so it's not even close. Will be fun to follow regardless.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
So you tank and get the worst record, and instead of taking the top player on your board, you go underslot so you hope you will have some extra funds for a guy at least 30 picks later?

Seems a pretty dumb reason to tank.

I'm advocating we tank and draft the best player available, regardless of position. Hopefully we will see separation by next spring as the elite prospects step forward.

Beer is a bat only player, which limits his potential upside big time. Outside of the hit/power tools he has below average speed, and is a poor defender.

One thing I would like to see us do is to take a couple of the non-highly touted prospects who are being brought up or knocking on the door at AAA (think Delmonico, Willy Garcia, Danny Hayes, etc) and put them on the market early next year and see if you can get trade them for a comp pick. It would allow us the financial flexibility to go after a good high school guy if he falls and not worry about having to cut an underslot deal in the first round. I think this is important because at some point we are going to have to get some young guys in the system so we don't have a logjam at one level and we can't really do it with international signings while in the penalty.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)
One thing I would like to see us do is to take a couple of the non-highly touted prospects who are being brought up or knocking on the door at AAA (think Delmonico, Willy Garcia, Danny Hayes, etc) and put them on the market early next year and see if you can get trade them for a comp pick. It would allow us the financial flexibility to go after a good high school guy if he falls and not worry about having to cut an underslot deal in the first round. I think this is important because at some point we are going to have to get some young guys in the system so we don't have a logjam at one level and we can't really do it with international signings while in the penalty.

I think you are really overvaluing these guys. At best they a second division starters. They are the type of guys you are always looking to replace and upgrade. No one is giving up basically a second round pick for that.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 02:03 AM)

He may be a top 5 talent, but why are we passing on a top two talent for him? If there is a pitcher with ace potential or a five tool SS or CF prospect (even if HS), you take that player every day of the week over an offense-only player like Beer. Again, don't get cute when you have a top two pick in the draft, take the BPA and find ways to leverage your bonus pool elsewhere in the draft.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)
He may be a top 5 talent, but why are we passing on a top two talent for him? If there is a pitcher with ace potential or a five tool SS or CF prospect (even if HS), you take that player every day of the week over an offense-only player like Beer. Again, don't get cute when you have a top two pick in the draft, take the BPA and find ways to leverage your bonus pool elsewhere in the draft.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Seth Beer fall out of the top 10 in what is looking like a loaded 2018 draft class. 1B/DH types are honestly dime a dozen in the majors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 02:20 PM)
I think you are really overvaluing these guys. At best they a second division starters. They are the type of guys you are always looking to replace and upgrade. No one is giving up basically a second round pick for that.

Check out some of the guys who were traded for comp picks though. They're generally not great and if one of these teams gets an injury early on, we could jump in anf fill the position without them having to wait for July.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)

If Beer's bat projects similar to Cody Bellinger would you take him over a five tool SS or CF? I'm torn between a more sure thing (Beer's bat/power) vs the longer odds of potential ever panning out. Also believe defense can be coached up especially at 1st base.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 03:04 PM)
Check out some of the guys who were traded for comp picks though. They're generally not great and if one of these teams gets an injury early on, we could jump in anf fill the position without them having to wait for July.

Like who? Honestly I can't recall any off of the top of my head. I know teams have been active in moving international cap space for smaller returns, but can't recall any comp pick trades.

QUOTE (rodh @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
If Beer's bat projects similar to Cody Bellinger would you take him over a five tool SS or CF? I'm torn between a more sure thing (Beer's bat/power) vs the longer odds of potential ever panning out. Also believe defense can be coached up especially at 1st base.

If the White Sox think he's a left handed Frank Thomas, taking him #1 wouldn't be considered stupid 20 years from now if they were correct. But a guy who could be Carlos Correa wouldn't be bad either. The thing is, Beer's bat will probably be ready by 2020. A HS SS probably will not, and you are going to have to trust the White Sox developmental team.

A lot will happen between now and the draft. It will be interesting to see how they are lined up by the gurus next June.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
Like who? Honestly I can't recall any off of the top of my head. I know teams have been active in moving international cap space for smaller returns, but can't recall any comp pick trades.

I looked up a couple a few days ago and I'm pretty sure like none of the players even ended up having positive WAR seasons. This article even explains how the Dodgers got a round B pick by basically taking on a ~$3 million contract. Dodgers Buy Draft Pick

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
I looked up a couple a few days ago and I'm pretty sure like none of the players even ended up having positive WAR seasons. This article even explains how the Dodgers got a round B pick by basically taking on a ~$3 million contract. Dodgers Buy Draft Pick

The Orioles, I should have known. It looked like the rest of the deals involved some pretty significant players.