2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
Eh. I think the idea that people who played baseball apparently can't understand launch angles is a bit silly. Apparently someone got to Avi because that was a big focus of his this off season.

Every baseball player has known about launch angles. They just didn't have the terms or the numbers. Those are for the non-players. The issue has always been how much do you increase the launch angle before you have too much of an upper cut (that's what us old people called the launch angle) and you just pop everything up. Just like with anything else it is a fine line before you have diminishing returns and some players can't make that adjustment.

One guy who I want who I think will be in the second round area is Alek Thomas. He is an CF from Mount Carmel HS in Chicago, he is part of the White Sox ACE program, and I believe his dad is the director of conditioning for the White Sox. He finished second on the 18u national team in batting average and was 5-5 in stolen bases. And he's done all this while still being Mount Carmel's starting QB and I believe he still plays basketball too. So there is definitely more room for growth than most draft prospects.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 08:34 AM)
We seriously need to get past this. They weren't rebuilding yet when they made that trade. It happened. It's over. Not just referring to you hi8is but just the posts about Tatis in general.

IIRC, they went into the re-building mode right after the Tatis trade. What month did they trade Tatis? I'm sure it was fairly late in the 2016 season. Then, Sale was traded early December, 2016 Regardless, the trade made no sense at the time. Hahn had a brain cramp.

Hahn got screwed by the Padres on that deal with the dual sets of medicals. It still pisses me off that MLB did nothing about it. You could tell the guy had back and/or shoulder problems when we got him by how he reacted trying to stretch after many pitches. Now he can't even throw over the top anymore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
Hahn got screwed by the Padres on that deal with the dual sets of medicals. It still pisses me off that MLB did nothing about it. You could tell the guy had back and/or shoulder problems when we got him by how he reacted trying to stretch after many pitches. Now he can't even throw over the top anymore.

I think he made the change in arm angle on purpose. He doesn't have the stuff anymore so he is dropping down to get more movement and deception with the pitches. I don't think there is anyway he is still pitching if it was due to pain.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
One guy who I want who I think will be in the second round area is Alek Thomas. He is an CF from Mount Carmel HS in Chicago, he is part of the White Sox ACE program, and I believe his dad is the director of conditioning for the White Sox.

Yes he is. Good looking prospect.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
One guy who I want who I think will be in the second round area is Alek Thomas. He is an CF from Mount Carmel HS in Chicago, he is part of the White Sox ACE program, and I believe his dad is the director of conditioning for the White Sox. He finished second on the 18u national team in batting average and was 5-5 in stolen bases. And he's done all this while still being Mount Carmel's starting QB and I believe he still plays basketball too. So there is definitely more room for growth than most draft prospects.

I saw him play in a playoff game his freshman year and he looked the part of a day 1 draft pick even then. He plays above average defense in the OF, and he's got a really nice looking LH swing. I was very encouraged to see him hit so well for Team USA against some top level competition. I also believe he was the POY for the state of Illinois as a JR. The ceiling appears to be sky high for Thomas.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)
http://meadowparty.com/blog/2017/09/21/klawchat-92117/

Brent: Do you think Seth Beer’s bat will play well enough to make him a high 1st round pick?

Keith Law: Probably. Has to put up another big statistical year, but he’s done that before.

The being bad with wood bats is highly concerning with him.

New Perfect Game 2018 Draft Top 150 Ranking

Newly updated top 150 ranking needs a subscription, so if anyone has that and wants to share that would be awesome. The top 10 that they do show is interesting though.

1 Ethan Hankins RHP Forsyth Central (GA)

2 Jarred Kelenic OF Waukesha West (WI)

3 Ryan Rolison LHP Mississippi

4 Casey Mize RHP Auburn

5 Kumar Rocker RHP North Oconee (GA)

6 Jackson Kowar RHP Florida

7 Nick Madrigal 2B Oregon State

8 Brice Turang SS Santiago (CA)

9 Shane McClanahan LHP South Florida

10 Nander De Sedas SS Montverde Academy (FL)

I think the big things that stick out to me are that Singer is not even in the top 10, Rolison is #3, and Turang all the way down at #8. It does make me feel better about how much I like Kelenic, but gets me scared that he won't be there when we pick. Hankins at #1 puts the question out there again if a HS RHP will ever go #1.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 08:16 AM)

Newly updated top 150 ranking needs a subscription, so if anyone has that and wants to share that would be awesome. The top 10 that they do show is interesting though.

4 Casey Mize RHP Auburn

I think the big things that stick out to me are that Singer is not even in the top 10, Rolison is #3, and Turang all the way down at #8. It does make me feel better about how much I like Kelenic, but gets me scared that he won't be there when we pick. Hankins at #1 puts the question out there again if a HS RHP will ever go #1.

Hah - love it. s***s gonna be flux city for us all to follow like rabbid dogs 😬

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)

4 Casey Mize RHP Auburn

No way Kowar is drafted over Singer or in the top 10. Not only has he had arm trouble, but his numbers last year were pretty awful.