2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 10:10 AM)
Liked this write-up at 20

Xavier Edwards SS North Broward Prep HS FL Vanderbilt

Some argue the 5-foot-9 shortstop is better than Turang, but only his size is making scouts hesitate. Either way, the tools are real: an 80 runner with a 60 arm, tools for shortstop, and lots of contact from both sides of the plate.

There are a lot of interesting writeups on OFers. It feels like with our situation we may avoid OFers though.

Xavier Edwards was a guy I was hoping would stay under the radar and be a second round pick if we didn't go with a SS in the first.

I really think the best case scenario at this time is that Singer goes in the top 3 and we take whoever falls to us between Gorman, Hankins, and Liberatore. I like Kelenic, and maybe he can show out with the travel circuit, but his profile reminds me too much of Blake Rutherford for me to be confident in him right now.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 9, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
I just wonder why everyone assumes that a kid is as fast as they are ever going to be when they are 18? When people talk about high school football recruits they say how they will add muscle and get faster, but for every baseball player the consensus is that they will add muscle and slow down. With his current run times he could probably stay in CF if he just maintains his speed.

I've seen studies that show that velocity and speed peak between 20-22 in baseball players. Data is only over the last 15 years or so but that's where the idea comes from anyway.

Edited by Eminor3rd

Gorman is my far too early hope, but if the Sox decide to go pitching, Shane McClanahan is tantalizing. Sounds like the kind of pitcher that would thrive in the Sox system.

"The power lefty missed 2016 with TJ surgery after a big velo jump, but he’s back and the fastball taken another step forward, working 94-97 and hitting 99 mph. McClanahan also has an above-average slider and changeup, but fringy command."

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-draft-r...-2019-and-2020/

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 11:48 AM)
Gorman is my far too early hope, but if the Sox decide to go pitching, Shane McClanahan is tantalizing. Sounds like the kind of pitcher that would thrive in the Sox system.

"The power lefty missed 2016 with TJ surgery after a big velo jump, but he’s back and the fastball taken another step forward, working 94-97 and hitting 99 mph. McClanahan also has an above-average slider and changeup, but fringy command."

I think there are just too many good positional guys this year to even consider a pitcher outside of Singer/Hankins, IMO. You're guaranteed to get one of Gorman, De Sedas, Kelenic, Turang, Madrigal, etc. at #4.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 01:33 PM)
I think there are just too many good positional guys this year to even consider a pitcher outside of Singer/Hankins, IMO. You're guaranteed to get one of Gorman, De Sedas, Kelenic, Turang, Madrigal, etc. at #4.

Maybe, but I wouldn't sleep on a college arm like Casey Mize or Jackson Kowar forcing themselves into the top 5 with strong seasons.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 02:33 PM)

I actually think it might be the other way round. The strength of this draft is clearly pitching, most of the hitting prospects have some warts ( like madrigal's size, turangs power or we sedas ability to stay at short). Sure if you get a hitter you like do it but as longenhagen says the strength of the 2018 draft is clearly prep pitching. For hitting it is pretty mediocre and there isn't really top of the chart talent.

Gorman is I think a good guy but he again is a corner guy. Sure if he hits like vlad jr that doesn't matter but if it is 50 hit and 60 power instead of 60 hit and 70 power that is pretty pedestrian.

Kelenic isn't bad but I think he is more of a 15-20 guy and getting him at 5 would be an overdraft.

I think if they get a hitter at that position it has to be an up the middle guy without real elite bats in the draft. I'm pretty sure 3 pitchers will go in the top 5 so one of de sedas or turang should definitely be available.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 10:48 AM)

I'd much rather have Liberatore if we're going with a LHP with probability. No injury concerns as well with a team already projecting a TJS guy (Giolito) and a guy coming off shoulder surgery (Rodon).

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 11:31 PM)
I'd much rather have Liberatore if we're going with a LHP with probability. No injury concerns as well with a team already projecting a TJS guy (Giolito) and a guy coming off shoulder surgery (Rodon).

I don't mind Liberatore, but I'm a bit risk averse with prep pitching. The fact that McClanahan had his TJ freshman year, than came back his sophomore year with even better stuff and posted the numbers he did excites me. I see a bit of Sale in him as well, especially with that build. All things being equal I'd prefer a position player but I'll be following McClanahan closely this season.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 11:20 PM)
I don't mind Liberatore, but I'm a bit risk averse with prep pitching. The fact that McClanahan had his TJ freshman year, than came back his sophomore year with even better stuff and posted the numbers he did excites me. I see a bit of Sale in him as well, especially with that build. All things being equal I'd prefer a position player but I'll be following McClanahan closely this season.

Yeah I'm nervous on this draft at the moment, hoping some position players shoot up draft in the spring.

I like Liberatore and this isn't a reason not to draft him but man that writeup sounds like Brady Aiken.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 12:57 AM)
Gorman would be fun because not only is he apparently super polished hitter, but appears to have a good chance to stay at 3B. It would eliminate some of the worry that Burger can't stick at 3B, and maybe a shift to 1B wouldn't be so daunting. Then again, we have like 4 possible future 1B.

Yeah I just looked into a write up on him and watched some videos. I would be ok with this pick too. Also, it seems like most of our guys are right handed so adding another left-handed power bat to the mix wouldn't hurt.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 06:05 PM)
I actually think it might be the other way round. The strength of this draft is clearly pitching, most of the hitting prospects have some warts ( like madrigal's size, turangs power or we sedas ability to stay at short). Sure if you get a hitter you like do it but as longenhagen says the strength of the 2018 draft is clearly prep pitching. For hitting it is pretty mediocre and there isn't really top of the chart talent.

Gorman is I think a good guy but he again is a corner guy. Sure if he hits like vlad jr that doesn't matter but if it is 50 hit and 60 power instead of 60 hit and 70 power that is pretty pedestrian.

Kelenic isn't bad but I think he is more of a 15-20 guy and getting him at 5 would be an overdraft.

I think if they get a hitter at that position it has to be an up the middle guy without real elite bats in the draft. I'm pretty sure 3 pitchers will go in the top 5 so one of de sedas or turang should definitely be available.

I've heard people say that, but outside of Singer (who I can't see falling to us) and occasionally Rolison, I never hear anyone mentioning any names as top-of-the-draft talents. Maybe McClanahan is that guy -- this is honestly the first time I've even heard his name. I think it's possible that there's a ton of college pitching depth in the first round overall, but I don't know if that talent exists in the top 5 picks.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 10:39 AM)
I've heard people say that, but outside of Singer (who I can't see falling to us) and occasionally Rolison, I never hear anyone mentioning any names as top-of-the-draft talents. Maybe McClanahan is that guy -- this is honestly the first time I've even heard his name. I think it's possible that there's a ton of college pitching depth in the first round overall, but I don't know if that talent exists in the top 5 picks.

Hankins definitely needs to be mentioned too. But overall college pitching is not that good either. I think the best of the class is HS pitching, then HS hitting, then college pitching and clearly the weakness of the class is college hitting. Some college hitters will move up late as always though because college hitters have the least bust potential out of the 4 groups (Would rank the "safety" 1. College hitting then college P, then HS hitting and clearly the highest risk in hs pitching)

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 01:19 PM)
Hankins definitely needs to be mentioned too. But overall college pitching is not that good either. I think the best of the class is HS pitching, then HS hitting, then college pitching and clearly the weakness of the class is college hitting. Some college hitters will move up late as always though because college hitters have the least bust potential out of the 4 groups (Would rank the "safety" 1. College hitting then college P, then HS hitting and clearly the highest risk in hs pitching)

I was referring to college pitching, which is why I didn't mention Hankins/Liberatore.

Overall, I just think the HS class sounds better than the college class. Within that HS class, pitching is just so phenomenally risky. These guys are still growing, and physical changes can have substantial effects on mechanics, velocity, and health. Given that the guys we're talking about are so good, it's more likely that any such effects will be detrimental rather than helpful.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 10:31 AM)
I've seen studies that show that velocity and speed peak between 20-22 in baseball players. Data is only over the last 15 years or so but that's where the idea comes from anyway.

That's weird. Most 100m track athletes don't start winning until their mid-20's.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 03:28 PM)
That's weird. Most 100m track athletes don't start winning until their mid-20's.

But they train for speed while many baseball players gain weight in their early 20s to get more power which hurts the speed. There are certainly some baseball players who keep their speed into their 30s if they don't put on too much mass.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 01:21 AM)
But they train for speed while many baseball players gain weight in their early 20s to get more power which hurts the speed. There are certainly some baseball players who keep their speed into their 30s if they don't put on too much mass.

Power does not hurt speed. In fact power=speed. Those 100m track athletes lift for pure power. They mature and gain weight in their early 20's like everyone else.