2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 11:54 AM)
Rolison has been pretty dominant. Seems to have a pretty high floor, but not the ceiling of someone like McClanahan. Not my choice at 4, but i can understand the reasoning. I'd certainly prefer him to someone like Singer at this point.

Personally at this point I don't think I want any of the college pitchers besides McClanahan

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 12:23 AM)
Still rooting for Gorman (Kelenic if Gorman has been drafted) as our 1st RD pick, Beer or Gray Jr as our 2nd RD pick.

I think kelenic would be a little too high, solid across the board but no special tool. Gorman would be nice, although I read the tigers want him at 1 ( makes sense, their system lacks power bats).

I think one of the two HS shortstops or a pitcher would be most likely.

Eric Longenhagen

@longenhagen

26m26 minutes ago

Matthew Liberatore was up to 97 with a 6 curveball today. It was his first start.

Kiley McDaniel

@kileymcd

More Kiley McDaniel Retweeted Eric Longenhagen

Arizona prep lefty making a move into the top 5 picks

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 07:12 PM)
Eric Longenhagen

@longenhagen

26m26 minutes ago

Matthew Liberatore was up to 97 with a 6 curveball today. It was his first start.

Kiley McDaniel

@kileymcd

More Kiley McDaniel Retweeted Eric Longenhagen

Arizona prep lefty making a move into the top 5 picks

He's my pick in this draft as you know Dirty. 0 injury history either and a nice mix of pitches, plus a lefty and high schooler which is what we need for the farm in the second wave. My guy.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 11:24 PM)
He's my pick in this draft as you know Dirty. 0 injury history either and a nice mix of pitches, plus a lefty and high schooler which is what we need for the farm in the second wave. My guy.

Touching 97 sure is something new. Lots of reports had him in the low 90's with lots of projection. I am now more than intrigued.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 04:30 PM)
I think kelenic would be a little too high, solid across the board but no special tool. Gorman would be nice, although I read the tigers want him at 1 ( makes sense, their system lacks power bats).

I think one of the two HS shortstops or a pitcher would be most likely.

I'm not speaking as if the draft was today. Those are the guys I hope to fall in to our positions. Seth Beer, for instance, isn't likely to fall to our 2nd RD pick TODAY, but I'm rooting for an average season for him so he does slide a little, as I am rooting for Kelenic to dominate and move up to the top 5 range.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 12:08 AM)
Touching 97 sure is something new. Lots of reports had him in the low 90's with lots of projection. I am now more than intrigued.

Even later in the summer apparently he was sitting more near the mid 90s than the low 90s like previous reports. I can't remember where I heard or read it, but one writer said he was sitting with a guy who was seeing him for the first time, so he told the guy to expect him to sit around 90 and maybe max at 93, and then on the first pitch he hit 95. So he was adding velo even during last year, so I'm not surprised to see him at 97 now. I want to know what kind of movement it has at those speeds though.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 11:54 AM)
Rolison has been pretty dominant. Seems to have a pretty high floor, but not the ceiling of someone like McClanahan. Not my choice at 4, but i can understand the reasoning. I'd certainly prefer him to someone like Singer at this point.

Rolison has been absolutely disgusting so far this season. Not sure he will a TOR starter, but I see a solid #2-3 from him. I see him as one of the quicker movers from this class.

Carlos Collazo

@CarlosACollazo

Heard Matthew Liberatore was up to 96 mph last night but settled into an above-average FB. Good control, plus changeup. Some teams likely leave that start seeing three future plus pitches between FB, CB, CH.

#mlbdraft

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 09:50 AM)
Carlos Collazo

@CarlosACollazo

Heard Matthew Liberatore was up to 96 mph last night but settled into an above-average FB. Good control, plus changeup. Some teams likely leave that start seeing three future plus pitches between FB, CB, CH.

#mlbdraft

That's bae. :wub: ;)

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 10:11 AM)
I feel very comfortable with the pitching at the top. The Sox are guaranteed one of Hankins/Liberatore/McClanaan/Rolison at this point

The pitchers intrigue me much more than the hitters, even though I want a hitter much more.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 10:15 AM)
Would you take all those guys over Gorman?

That's a pretty interesting question. I certainly trust the organization in identifying and developing a pitcher they select over a position player. But at this point I feel a position player would be much more beneficial to the system and the state of the rebuild. Outside of Eloy I'm not sold on many of the top position player prospects just yet. Being able to add a slam-dunk cornerstone hitter/defender into the heart of the lineup for years to come is truly what I'm looking for right now.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 10:26 AM)
We should do a monthly poll to see who we would pick if all candidates are available. I would love to see what the support is for each guy and how that changes in the next 4 months. I would make the poll myself, but I don't know how to so I would probably mess it up.

Could be fun to use a non-site tool which we could track in one place easier (rather than 5 separate threads). Google forms or something.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 11:08 AM)
DirtySox- Who are your top 4 guys at the moment?

Still super duper early and everything, but as of right now I'm something like this.

1.) Swaggerty

2.) Gorman

3.) McClanahan

4.) Liberatore

5.) Hankins

This is primarily because I'm leaning position player at the moment. Swaggerty still needs to maintain his performance through the year, but the ability to stick in CF, have great plate discipline, and show improved power is what I'm banking on. I can't pass that up. Gorman is a close #1B for me though. McClanahan is still my pitching preference, especially if he starts to show some better command. Lefty that is touching 100 with improving secondaries after coming back from TJ is pretty hot. Would imagine he'd be right up the Sox alley as far as fixing what ails him on the control/command side as well. The reports that Liberatore is sitting around 96 as of yesterday has put him ahead of Hankins for me currently. Especially with the recent injury scare. I think I would have Madrigal at 6 right now. Though I wouldn't know what to do with him if he couldn't be at least an average SS.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 10:26 AM)
We should do a monthly poll to see who we would pick if all candidates are available. I would love to see what the support is for each guy and how that changes in the next 4 months. I would make the poll myself, but I don't know how to so I would probably mess it up.

I know my alligence has already shifted from Nander to Gorman since the winter.