2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 05:48 AM)
That was not the suggestion by the poster above. The suggestion was that Thomas say he is going to college, don't draft me. If Thomas simply said, he only wants to be drafted by the Sox, there is nothing inherently wrong with that, but again, that was not the original suggestion and that would involve no deceit.

I mean saying he wants to go to college and then signing isn't deceitful either. It happens to several players every year where they tell teams not to draft them, but they still do and try to make them an offer they can't refuse.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 08:10 AM)
I mean saying he wants to go to college and then signing isn't deceitful either. It happens to several players every year where they tell teams not to draft them, but they still do and try to make them an offer they can't refuse.

But, again, that was not the suggestion. The suggestion was that Thomas says he wants to go to college and does not want to be drafted as a ruse to have him last until the second round when the Sox draft him. That is quite different from your scenario. And, I guarantee you if something like this happens where the Sox take him in the second round and he told teams not to draft him because he wanted to play in college, MLB would investigate immediately and the Sox would be punished heavily for doing something like that.

I don't know, I think you are taking things pretty literally.

All Thomas has to do is have his agent indicate he is a tough sign, which is true and because he has college he has leverage, as the sox would probably have discussed an overslot deal with him.

That signal will scare most teams away as the later they are picking in the first the smaller their budget. Or, a team still interested will have the opportunity to try and beat white sox offer. Thomas has leverage because of college to do that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 10:00 AM)
I don't know, I think you are taking things pretty literally.

All Thomas has to do is have his agent indicate he is a tough sign, which is true and because he has college he has leverage, as the sox would probably have discussed an overslot deal with him.

That signal will scare most teams away as the later they are picking in the first the smaller their budget. Or, a team still interested will have the opportunity to try and beat white sox offer. Thomas has leverage because of college to do that.

Can he have an agent while in high school and still go to college and play there?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 08:48 AM)
Didn't the same think happen with Rutherford/Yankees in 2016? "Don't draft me, I want to play for NYY" Several teams passed on him that very well might have taken him.

Never heard of this but don't think I can route for anyone pulling an Elisha Manning

This is likely irrelevant, as he isn't going to go #4, but Beer has homered in each of his last 4 games. He now has 10 and his average is up to .284.

He also has walked 25 times, in 95 at bats, so his OBP and Slugging Percentage are very good. Where do you think he'll be drafted?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 01:41 PM)
This is likely irrelevant, as he isn't going to go #4, but Beer has homered in each of his last 4 games. He now has 10 and his average is up to .284.

He also has walked 25 times, in 95 at bats, so his OBP and Slugging Percentage are very good. Where do you think he'll be drafted?

Mid-late first round steal

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 11:41 AM)

I'm gonna go with competitive balance round. Someone who really believes in his bat will risk it.

I'm not sure with the depth of this class that I would even want him with the Sox 2nd pick currently. Way too one dimensional.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 12:41 PM)

Probably one of the Royals 1356743 sandwich picks.

QUOTE (Quin @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 07:44 PM)
Following this thread, it's kinda funny how at any point Beer, Turang and Singer were all #1s that we salivated over.

Baseball scouting is insane.

Only two draft prospects I remember going 1 a year ahead of time were Strasburg and Harper, maybe Appel

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:22 PM)
With the bat that Beer has he will go top 10.. I wouldn't even hate it if the Sox reached and took him at 4. He's that good of a hitter. He won't last past 10 despite his defensive... shortcomings?

honestly wouldn't complain either

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 01:22 AM)
With the bat that Beer has he will go top 10.. I wouldn't even hate it if the Sox reached and took him at 4. He's that good of a hitter. He won't last past 10 despite his defensive... shortcomings?

No he won't.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 07:22 PM)

As of right now, he's not even close to sniffing top ten.

For college is stats havent been particularly great for 2 years. Check out how insane rookers stats were last year. He was a second round pick.

Sox picking beer at for would be incredibly strange.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:29 PM)
For college is stats havent been particularly great for 2 years. Check out how insane rookers stats were last year. He was a second round pick.

Sox picking beer at for would be incredibly strange.

I think Beer can still go first round with a strong second half to this college season. He could very well end up with Rooker type numbers by season’s end and he’s a year younger than Rooker at the time of the draft.

Maybe he figured something out? Will see..

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc...e207677944.html

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

4 might be too high but I really like Tristan Pompey. Switch hitter with good eye/approach to go along with above average power and speed. And he has a frame that suggests he’ll only get bigger and stronger. I think he projects to a 20/20 guy with good D in LF who should be able maintain a good avg and obp