2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 9, 2018 -> 11:36 AM)
That Kelenic stuff has been interesting. Still, I file it under "misinformation", I will be skeptical until it's announced/deal is announced there.

They could also be looking to get an undermarket deal done early, so they can splash some cash later. Detroit has around $12.5 million they can spend. A million saved at the top, could get them essentially an extra first round pick later on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 9, 2018 -> 12:10 PM)
They could also be looking to get an undermarket deal done early, so they can splash some cash later. Detroit has around $12.5 million they can spend. A million saved at the top, could get them essentially an extra first round pick later on.

I'd expect them too, just surprised. Twins going lewis, a guy expected top 5, for a deal at 1 saves a million or two.

Difference has been smoothed, but between 1 and 10 is about 4 million. But still a bigger jump especially when you don't expect to get a #1 pick again.

Full draft top 125 from 2080 baseball. They have an interesting take on Turang. Also there seems to be some consensus forming on the top tier.

Edited by GenericUserName

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 08:05 AM)
Full draft top 125 from 2080 baseball. They have an interesting take on Turang. Also there seems to be some consensus forming on the top tier.

Noticed they have Bohm listed as a 1B.

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 08:32 AM)

Wow, I missed that. That may explain why they have him at 8 when others seem pretty sure he is in the top 5. They also have Greyson Jenista listed as OF/1B. Triston Casas listed as 3B/1B, and Seth Beer listed as OF/1B, so they seem pretty forgiving about defensive issues, which makes them only putting 1B for Bohm kind of worrying.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 07:05 AM)

Interesting that initial projections of De Sedas and Turang going in the top ten picks seem to have fizzled. We should absolutely be looking to take BPA regardless of position at #4. Underslot might be good in theory, but I want premium talent if drafting in the top five. I hope we don't get too cute come draft day.

QUOTE (Blackout Friday @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 07:32 AM)

Drafting a Bohm in the top five seems like it would be a mistake. He's likely a 1B only player being 6'5" and 240 lbs, which forces the bat to play big time.

I'm not wasting a high first round pick on a first baseman unless he projects to have enormous power potential.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 10:34 AM)
Drafting a Bohm in the top five seems like it would be a mistake. He's likely a 1B only player being 6'5" and 240 lbs, which forces the bat to play big time.

I'm not wasting a high first round pick on a first baseman unless he projects to have enormous power potential.

He projects to have enormous power potential. Plus, he can probably stay at 3B. I think almost every scout thinks he's more likely to stick there than Burger was even before the injury. The only thing he is bad at apparently is getting his feet in bad position on throws sometimes, which shouldn't be too hard to fix in the minors.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 10:45 AM)
He projects to have enormous power potential. Plus, he can probably stay at 3B. I think almost every scout thinks he's more likely to stick there than Burger was even before the injury. The only thing he is bad at apparently is getting his feet in bad position on throws sometimes, which shouldn't be too hard to fix in the minors.

Yea. I'm seeing a lot of optimism at him being able to stick at 3rd lately. Though I'd imagine he'd never be a huge asset at the hot corner.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 10:03 AM)
Kiley chat soon. Get your draft questions in.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-4-11-18/

Henry

12:21 Any mock drafts coming soon?

Kiley McDaniel

12:21 With the CHW/Swaggerty connection and Kelenic/DET news earlier this week, we're definitely hearing things so we may jump into the top 10-15 picks after we shuffle the rankings next week

Kyle

12:11 Any thoughts on Bren Spillane from Illinois. He has been putting up monster numbers. Does he have any draft stock?

Kiley McDaniel

12:12 Some teams like him as a later round power bat, some barely think he's worth drafting. That's kinda how most of the non-elite conference 1B only power bats go.

Jr

12:12 Who's the top 3 draft prospects right now?

Kiley McDaniel

12:13 Mize, Bohm, Madrigal for me but you could argue Swaggerty or McClanahan or Stewart could be in there.

Greg

12:18 I know Brady Singer's stuff has reportedly been down this year, but how low could he realistically fall because of it?

Kiley McDaniel

12:20 He's a tough one, he's somewhere in the middle of the first round right now. His arm is late to catch up to his body timing wise in his delivery, he failed a physical (but wasn't hurt) due to arm stuff in HS and his velo was 90-92 early in the spring, but is more 92-94 now. Nothing is plus, but he performs. One scout told me last night that he feels like the guy that slides due to all these worries then he doesn't get hurt for the next 5-6 years and we're all like oh duh he should've gone top 10. I'm still conflicted but will see him again in the coming weeks, probably when he matches up with Casey Mize in Gainesville.

Alan

12:36 White Sox draft scuttlebutt. Plz give.

Kiley McDaniel

12:36 I think Swaggerty is their guy. They also like Bohm. Should be able to get one of them.

Alan

12:35 Talk to me about Bohm's defensive ceiling. Will he be average at best? Will his bat make it a moot point anyways?

Kiley McDaniel

12:36 Might be a little above but he's also 6'4, so I'd take a 50 glove with 60 arm.

Timmy

12:33 Even though you said Mize is still the favorite, what would you put the odds at for Kelenic at 1-1?

Kiley McDaniel

12:35 Told a friend in the industry last night I'm guessing 75% Mize 1-1 right now--DET's top two tendencies are SEC performers and power arms--then I'd guess it goes Bohm and McClanahan or Kelenic third. If Mize's medical comes back fishy, which some are worried it might, then it could get interesting. That said, Mize still goes top 10 even if that happens.

Dave

12:42 Kiley, who do you think has the better chance to stay at 3B, Bohm is Gorman?

Kiley McDaniel

12:42 Bohm projects for solid average, Gorman below average right now, so it isn't that close

Hinkie

12:43 Kiley ... According to your draft notes column last week, it sounds like the Phillies are considering Alec Bohm with the 1-3 pick. Have you heard of any other prospects the Phillies are most seriously scouting/considering for that pick ?

Kiley McDaniel

12:43 Hearing Madrigal as well, Logan Gilbert has come up but that seems too rich for 3

Edited by DirtySox

Kileys notes on Alek Thomas

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/far-too-man...raft-prospects/

Alek Thomas, CF, Mount Carmel HS (IN), TCU Commit

Thomas is another guy who was at big summer events as a high-school underclassman, and he showed advanced feel for the game even then. He’s a plus runner with fringe raw power and arm strength, a line-drive approach, and good defensive instincts. He hit four or five balls hard at NHSI and I didn’t happen to see any of them (here’s one), but I’ve seen Thomas enough to know his game and saw enough to know it hadn’t changed much.

He isn’t the electrifying, projectable tooled-up prospect about whom fans get excited come draft time, but there’s lots of successful big leaguers with this profile and clubs like having some certainty with prep picks. Alek’s father is White Sox director of conditioning Allen Thomas and the pre-draft chatter is he’ll need a top-50-pick bonus to turn pro, but he’ll likely go in the 25-50 range.

So for all the talk of pitchers, it looks like what was expected in february may happen: the depth of pitching in this draft makes it more likely teams get top bats early and pitching later.

We now have word of Kelenic 1, madrigal/bohm at 3, Swaggerty/Bohm at 4.

Haven't heard stuff on Giants.

Mike

12:41 Kelenic turns 19 this summer and is almost a year older than some of his classmates. Bohm is also a year older than Swaggerty and some others in the college JR class. How does that weigh in the evaluation of a player?

Kiley McDaniel

12:41 Matter more for HS than college and more for hitters than pitchers, but matters in all four instances.

Hinkie

12:43 Kiley ... According to your draft notes column last week, it sounds like the Phillies are considering Alec Bohm with the 1-3 pick. Have you heard of any other prospects the Phillies are most seriously scouting/considering for that pick ?

Kiley McDaniel

12:43 Hearing Madrigal as well, Logan Gilbert has come up but that seems too rich for 3

Dave

12:43 Kiley, which is tgemHS infielder has the most upside? De Sedas, Turang, Gorman?

Kiley McDaniel

12:44 Turang has a chance to be 55-60 Hit, 50 power, 60 run at SS, Gorman 50-55 Hit, 60-65 power at 3B. Both have some real concerns about reach that. De Sedas is much lower than them.

Dave

12:45 Kiley, Jeremy Eierman??‚??„?s base-stealing seems to go under-reported. He has 16 SB??‚??„?s, with only 1 CS. Very similar to last year. Is he that good, or is it the product of a lesser conference? And do you see any way he enters the top 10?

Kiley McDaniel

12:45 Solid average runner, solid instincts. More middle to late 1st

Dave

12:46 Kiley, do you have any concerns are pitch counts and over-use with Logan Gilbert this season?

Kiley McDaniel

12:46 I guess some? I try not to get too overheated about that unless its 140+ pitches, but if I'm a team I'm paying attention to it.

Jo-Nathan

12:49 Jordyn Adams can't possibly turn down millions if he goes first round? Having said that I just learned his father is a coach at NC, but still that is life changing money

Kiley McDaniel

12:49 His dad would be his coach and he's one of the top 100 football prospects in the country. I mean that's enticing too, even if baseball appears to be the better business decision

Bravesy McBravesface

12:53 How has Jarred Kelenic looked so far this spring?

Kiley McDaniel

12:53 Has only played a handful of games, but sounds like it's been solid. Had a minor illness recently.

PTown

12:54 Would you be shocked if the White Sox took Bohm with the 4th pick even though they drafted Burger last year?

Kiley McDaniel

12:54 Nope because that would be smart and not taking Bohm for that reason would be stupid

Oregon Guy

12:54 Does Larnach project as a 1st rounder? Future starting OF or still fuzzy at this point? Guy is raking.

Kiley McDaniel

12:55 Middle 1st round. Another guy I may be the high guy on right now along with Connor Scott.

Kevin

12:57 Aside from the obvious #1, if you're in the top ten, where do you think the best value pick will be given the "tiers" of players forming?

Kiley McDaniel

12:57 I think the top tier is 6 right now, maybe 7. That will change.

Alex R.

1:00 Ethan Hankin's has fallen down the draft board a bit but is there any chance he still goes in the top 2 to either the tigers or the giants?

Kiley McDaniel

1:00 He's gonna have to go insane to go top 5, still a chance to sneak in the top 10.

Bravesy McBravesface

1:04 Is Joey Bart a top 10 draft prospect?

Kiley McDaniel

1:04 Might be, he's close if he isn't, definitely trending up

Bobby Bradley's 40-time

1:05 Best draft eligible, college arms in New England?

Kiley McDaniel

1:05 Eh Tim Cate at UConn is the only one that comes to mind and he's shut down currently. Very good northeast prep year. Lineras Torres, Mike Vasil, Matt Cusick, Grant Lavigne, Charles Mack, Nick Decker. All could go top 3 rounds

Outta my way, Gyorkass

1:08 How much has Jonathan India raised his stock this year? Absolutely raking for a team that he used to be what, the 4th or 5th best hitter on? Fun stat too: no GIDPs in 133 PAs!

Kiley McDaniel

1:09 Chance to go back of the 1st round now, I did not see that coming: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/far-too-man...es-on-college...

Finnegan

1:10 You're high on Alec Bohm, will he go high because of the hit/power combo during an era where teams feel they can fix launch angle, or will he slide due to athleticism and defensive concerns?

Kiley McDaniel

1:10 There aren't athleticism/defensive concerns so no

King Tut

1:11 Do you think Kelenic will stay in CF?

Kiley McDaniel

1:11 Not a slam dunk but yes

FH

1:11 What happened to the top two prep righties coming into the season, Ethan Hankins and Kumar Rocker. Rocker looks so good on video, i don't understand why he's not top 10...?

Kiley McDaniel

1:11 He might be, he's close to that and he's been shoving all year

Runelvys Gergich

1:12 Is there any chance, based on what you've heard, that the Tigers take Madrigal?

Kiley McDaniel

1:12 I would say very, very low

Sean

1:20 Kiley, what do you see as Kyler Murray's projection?

Kiley McDaniel

1:20 Heard positive buzz, I'll see him in May. Could go top 5 rounds.

PTown

1:33 Is Swaggerty a better prospect coming out than Corey Ray or Adam Haseley?

Kiley McDaniel

1:33 Better than Haseley, comparable to Ray but Ray had more tools and longer track record

Jack

1:33 Is Joey Bart a lock in first round? Which team would be interested in him?

Kiley McDaniel

1:34 Yes, probably all of them

Kyle

1:34 Any buzz on Brett Kinneman?

Kiley McDaniel

1:34 4th-6th round, ok tools, performer

paul

1:36 India a first rounder?

Kiley McDaniel

1:36 Possibly, in the mix for late first

Jimbo

1:37 Any sense of who the Braves like at 8?

Kiley McDaniel

1:37 The team links are more in the top 5-6 picks where a top tier has emerged

dominik

1:37 should the white sox really consider bohm? I know usually you should go BPA but the sox already have like a million corner bats in their system and really lack up the middle (middle IF, CF) talent.

Kiley McDaniel

1:37 They aren't all gonna hit, trade the leftovers when you find the good ones. Pitchers will always be available in trades

Zook

1:38 Is Turang an option for SD in the draft?

Kiley McDaniel

1:38 Sure but I think he goes lower than that

Edited by GenericUserName

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 11:47 AM)
So for all the talk of pitchers, it looks like what was expected in february may happen: the depth of pitching in this draft makes it more likely teams get top bats early and pitching later.

We now have word of Kelenic 1, madrigal/bohm at 3, Swaggerty/Bohm at 4.

Haven't heard stuff on Giants.

It was a while ago, but I remember there being a connection with the Giants and Liberatore. Don't know if thats still a thing after his velo came back down from those couple 97mph outings.

Wow this is definitive

Finnegan

1:10 You're high on Alec Bohm, will he go high because of the hit/power combo during an era where teams feel they can fix launch angle, or will he slide due to athleticism and defensive concerns?

Kiley McDaniel

1:10 There aren't athleticism/defensive concerns so no