2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 01:58 PM)
Hostetler has only been in charge of the last two drafts. I think it's a tad early to make any generalizations about Burger or Collins personally. He and his staff did not draft Rodon, Anderson or Fulmer though. I don't think it's fair to say for sure that they can't scout amateur talent. There are some things that they've done in the last two drafts that I don't like but I think it's entirely too early to state anything one way or another.

I thought he was in charge for Fulmer. Even so, the track record is poor. I don't think that Collins has hit above .260 at any level. Actually I looked it up and his best season average wise was his draft year, which he hit .258 in Kanny. He hit .230 last year. I don't think he's a major league hitter if he can't crack .240 at A+

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 02:10 PM)
I thought he was in charge for Fulmer. Even so, the track record is poor. I don't think that Collins has hit above .260 at any level. Actually I looked it up and his best season average wise was his draft year, which he hit .258 in Kanny. He hit .230 last year. I don't think he's a major league hitter if he can't crack .240 at A+

Stop focusing so much on batting average. Collins had a .367 wOBA while struggling at High A last year and a .414 wOBA after a limited sampling in AA. He hit 20 bombs, struck out a lot and walked a ton. He had a 130 wRC+ while "struggling" in High A as well. I'm not going to sit here and say he's fine but his struggles have been very overblown.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 01:10 PM)

BA is the last thing you should look at when assessing Collins.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 02:32 PM)
Stop focusing so much on batting average. Collins had a .367 wOBA while struggling at High A last year and a .414 wOBA after a limited sampling in AA. He hit 20 bombs, struck out a lot and walked a ton. He had a 130 wRC+ while "struggling" in High A as well. I'm not going to sit here and say he's fine but his struggles have been very overblown.

I understand sabes pretty well. I read fangraphs daily and get BP's newsletter. It doesn't change the fact that you can't score without a hit unless the bases are loaded. BA is not the end all be all, but unless a player has ridiculous power,.255-.260 is the minimum level of competence for a major league hitter. Just my opinion. I also think they overvalue defense in WAR calculations, mostly because the metrics are wildly inconsistent from year to year. Therefore, I find them unreliable.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 03:07 PM)
I understand sabes pretty well. I read fangraphs daily and get BP's newsletter. It doesn't change the fact that you can't score without a hit unless the bases are loaded. BA is not the end all be all, but unless a player has ridiculous power, .260 is the minimum level of competence for a major league hitter. Just my opinion.

I think it depends. At least with a walk, you aren't making an out, but all walks are not created equal, in situations and player skill levels. The giveaway is teams walk guys on purpose occassionally.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 03:10 PM)
I think it depends. At least with a walk, you aren't making an out, but all walks are not created equal, in situations and player skill levels. The giveaway is teams walk guys on purpose occassionally.

I also see a .340 OBP as also a minimum level of competence. Outs=baseball currency. Use them wisely. I'd like my hitters to have at least a .350 obp if I was running a team.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 03:14 PM)
I also see a .340 OBP as also a minimum level of competence. Outs=baseball currency. Use them wisely. I'd like my hitters to have at least a .350 obp if I was running a team.

On a team basis, there are only 4 teams in all of baseball that have a .340 OBP or higher.

There are only 82 qualifying players in all of baseball with a .340 OBP or higher, out of 192 players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 03:18 PM)
On a team basis, there are only 4 teams in all of baseball that have a .340 OBP or higher.

How many are there if you took only the PA Of the position players with the most games played?

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 03:14 PM)

lol, that'd be a hell of team! :huh:

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 03:28 PM)
really could use a new mock draft.

Here ya go:

(1) Tigers: Casey Mize, RHP, Auburn

(2) Giants: Shane McClanahan, LHP, South Florida

(3) Phillies: Ethan Hankins, RHP, Forsyth Central (HS)

(4) White Sox: Travis Swaggerty, CF, South Alabama

(5) Reds: Jarred Kelenic, CF, Waukesha West (HS)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 08:33 AM)
I hope the Sox do not select a HS kid with #4. Too much can go wrong with a HS pitcher, and until the organization can prove it actually can develop a good major league hitter, I'd rather they draft a position player that high that is a bit more advanced.

If they want HS guys to try to balance it out, go crazy with the rest of the picks. They have to hit on #4.

Unless they have a HS pitcher rated far above the rest I think we need infield talent high when looking at the system right now. We should be ok at pitcher and outfield. They could take an outfielder high but seems redundant when looking at our positional strengths.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 12:10 PM)

Your evaluations are far too early and shortsighted, IMO.

Also, my preference is to focus on the upcoming draft for this thread.

Regarding the above posted mock draft, that sure would be interesting if picks 1 through 3 all went for pitching... giving us free reign to select any bat of our choice.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 07:08 PM)
Yeah Collins is starting to turn into a non-prospect for me too... Apart from the walks I don't see how people like him

Yeah, it's not like we've ever seen anyone with a low batting average, good eye, and good power succeed in MLB...oh, wait...

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 05:23 PM)
Yeah, it's not like we've ever seen anyone with a low batting average, good eye, and good power succeed in MLB...oh, wait...

And it’s not like he’s a finished product or anything. All hope is lost.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 06:41 PM)
Your evaluations are far too early and shortsighted, IMO.

Also, my preference is to focus on the upcoming draft for this thread.

Regarding the above posted mock draft, that sure would be interesting if picks 1 through 3 all went for pitching... giving us free reign to select any bat of our choice.

San Francisco is most interesting pick to me. Who knows how they’ll want to take advantage of this position (go for a fast moving college pitcher?)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 10:08 PM)
Tyler Flowers finally put up some decent numbers with the Braves the last couple of seasons.

Your sarcasm detector is obviously on the fritz.