2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Or Madrigal.  I'm really starting to favor him. I'm a proponent of BPA, but I keep coming back to "where does he fit exactly?" How do we convert him to catcher?

Not really sure where Madrigal fits if he can't play SS. Not a fan of drafting a guy you likely end up trading if all goes well. I'm on the Bohm/Bart/Kelenic train.  

Ptown
12:35
If Swaggerty went 2nd, and Madrigal 3rd, would the White Sox target Bohm or Kelenic?

Eric A Longenhagen
12:36
If Bohm is on the board I think PHI takes him. I think CHW takes the college hitter who is left for them.
  • Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

Not really sure where Madrigal fits if he can't play SS. Not a fan of drafting a guy you likely end up trading if all goes well. I'm on the Bohm/Bart/Kelenic train.  

I worry about the hit tool and  the strikeout propensity with Bart. Pretty much similar concerns as Swaggerty with the White Sox developing him as a hitter. Though the defense acumen sounds glowing. He's an interesting one.

Randy
12:51
Mize seems to be a bit underwhelming as a 1-1 compared to the likes of Cole, Strasburg, and Price. Have you heard anyone else mentioned as the #1 talent (not as the potential #1 pick)?

Eric A Longenhagen
12:52
Agree. I think Madrigal is the best guy independent of injury.

Brad
1:04
If the White Sox draft Nick Madrigal at 1-4 this year, where does he play once he gets to the majors? Does he push Moncada off of 2B to 3B? Would he get the Scott Kingery treatment? Does he get reps in center?

Eric A Longenhagen
1:04
Madrigal > Moncada at 2B and it's not close

1:05
I'd run Moncada around in CF

Assuming we get Madrigal and he is on a quick path to the majors, would you guys rather have us try Moncada at third and fill that organizational hole, or put him in center? I kind of like the idea of him at third because the range of him, Timmy, Madrigal could cover basically the whole infield. 

I am hoping we end up with Bohm. 

Love that he's already proven he can hit with the wood bats and has improved his BB/K every year. 

I know he and Burger are both 3B but it'll work itself out, hopefully with both of them hitting enough that we find the right defensive positions for both. 

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

On Moncada, I think I'd favor the move to 3B. Center field experiment sure would be interesting though.  Starting to get more and more on board with Madrigal.

I wonder if they could let him try both next year (assuming we get Madrigal and he sprints through the system this year), and then play him primarily at whichever he is best, but also get usage at the other. Having the flexibility to play 3B, 2B, CF, and probably either of the corners could be very useful when we are in the playoffs. 

45 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Or Madrigal.  I'm really starting to favor him. I'm a proponent of BPA, but I keep coming back to "where does he fit exactly?" How do we convert him to catcher?

If he really is Bregman 2.0 like the one scouting thing said, 3B.

1 minute ago, flavum said:

You’re playing with fire if you move Moncada to outfield. Leave him be.

At this point, I agree. I want him to focus on getting better at hitting, not learning a new position.

That said, I VERY much wanted them to move him to when they acquired him. I think it would have been the best move at the time, but that ship has sailed.

I don't understand the overwhelming love for Madrigal at all. That would be a really underwhelming pick. They can't take him unless they think he can play SS. He has a 60 hit tool, walks a ton and can run. He's 5'7 with 30 grade power though. I also don't think the Sox move a guy who might be the face of their team and a perennial All Star caliber player to another position to accommodate him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't understand the overwhelming love for Madrigal at all. That would be a really underwhelming pick. They can't take him unless they think he can play SS. He has a 60 hit tool, walks a ton and can run. He's 5'7 with 30 grade power though. I also don't think the Sox move a guy who might be the face of their team and a perennial All Star caliber player to another position to accommodate him. 

My thoughts exactly, I'm against messing with Yoan

For one thing, he's a pretty good fielder. An excellent baserunner, and a great hitter. i don't think he will ever be a 30 homer guy, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is like another little guy, Adam Eaton, and hits 14 or 15 homers a year. To go along with everything else, that's a pretty good ballplayer. 

I think being a good baseball player is occassionally overlooked in the draft, in search of off the charts tools. Teams fool themselves. Baseball is a hard game. Guys can have all the power in the world, if they can't hit, it doesn't matter. This guy can hit, and he can field, and he knows what he's doing on a baseball field. He won't get picked off of second base down 5-0, and then again get picked off of second base 3 days later with 2 on and no out.

From what I've read, it doesn't appear he is on the White Sox radar.  I hope they are correct. 

If this guy was 4 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier, he's probably the favorite to go #1. 

Edited by Dick Allen

16 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He seems to have the highest floor in the draft.  I would say it sounds like he is as much of a slam dunk to make the majors as you can get outside of a generational talent.  The thing missing is the big ceiling.  I mean what is his top?

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

For one thing, he's a pretty good fielder. An excellent baserunner, and a great hitter. i don't think he will ever be a 30 homer guy, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is like another little guy, Adam Eaton, and hits 14 or 15 homers a year. To go along with everything else, that's a pretty good ballplayer. 

I think being a good baseball player is occassionally overlooked in the draft, in search of off the charts tools. Teams fool themselves. Baseball is a hard game. Guys can have all the power in the world, if they can't hit, it doesn't matter. This guy can hit, and he can field, and he knows what he's doing on a baseball field. He won't get picked off of second base down 5-0, and then again get picked off of second base 3 days later with 2 on and no out.

From what I've read, it doesn't appear he is on the White Sox radar.  I hope they are correct. 

If this guy was 4 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier, he's probably the favorite to go #1. 

Actually, in last week's Kiley/Longenhagen mock, they suggest that he might be their top choice.

4. Chicago White Sox – Travis Swaggerty, CF, South Alabama

The White Sox are also on all three of the top college bats (Bohm, Madrigal, Swaggerty), and it sounds like they’ll take the one who gets to them here. We’re also not sure how Chicago stacks up those bats, but there’s some belief that they have Madrigal tops amongst the three. McClanahan has been mentioned as an option here, but he’s faded the last few weeks.

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He seems to have the highest floor in the draft.  I would say it sounds like he is as much of a slam dunk to make the majors as you can get outside of a generational talent.  The thing missing is the big ceiling.  I mean what is his top?

Altuve?

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

His absolute top to me is Jose Altuve, but 90th percentile range outcomes for me are all star MI or if the Sox decide to position shift him, maybe a rich man's Ben Zobrist? Gives you an .800-.900 OPS while playing all over the field and playing good defense at all positions.