2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Are we talking 2012 to 2015 Altuve, or the one with 25 homer power?

If he adapts his swing and stance the same way Altuve did, the latter. If you look at High A Altuve and Madrigal, their swing mechanics are very similar. Madrigal has to learn (like Altuve did) to stop reaching out with his front foot and instead use his leg kick to load and establish his power base, then use his excellent bat speed and bat control to get that power load to the ball. On the plus side, he already has the perfect example of this to study.

Edited by Dam8610

4 hours ago, DirtySox said:
Buehrleseque
1:03
Could Madrigal capably handle SS or is significantly better suited for SS?

Eric A Longenhagen
1:03
He can handle it but I'd leave him at 2B

I find it odd that people read this as “he can only play 2nd”

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I find it odd that people read this as “he can only play 2nd”

Yeah I've heard multiple sources say he can play any spot in the INF. I think putting him at 3rd and being the backup ss and 2b is really the final big piece we need for the rebuild as far as position players go. I really hope we are able to get him!

6 hours ago, GenericUserName said:

Assuming we get Madrigal and he is on a quick path to the majors, would you guys rather have us try Moncada at third and fill that organizational hole, or put him in center? I kind of like the idea of him at third because the range of him, Timmy, Madrigal could cover basically the whole infield. 

Third indeed.

I could see it this way:  Mize to Det.    SF needs a power bat, Bohm.   Phils are in win mode and need pitching, maybe Rolison. They are flush with middle infielders making Madrigal unlikely.   Yea, Madrigal to Sox. Moncada will be a dream at 3rd. He has that power sidearm throw like Beltre. 

27 minutes ago, Baker said:

I could see it this way:  Mize to Det.    SF needs a power bat, Bohm.   Phils are in win mode and need pitching, maybe Rolison. They are flush with middle infielders making Madrigal unlikely.   Yea, Madrigal to Sox. Moncada will be a dream at 3rd. He has that power sidearm throw like Beltre. 

Phillies could take Swaggerty as well. Either way, Madrigal has been my top choice all along.

From the the Eric Longenhagen chat: 

Brad: If the White Sox draft Nick Madrigal at 1-4 this year, where does he play once he gets to the majors? Does he push Moncada off of 2B to 3B? Would he get the Scott Kingery treatment? Does he get reps in center?

1:04
Eric A Longenhagen: Madrigal > Moncada at 2B and it’s not close

1:05
Eric A Longenhagen: I’d run Moncada around in CF

I don't know what Longenhagen is seeing because despite the errors from time to time that I chalk up to being a ute (as in "the two utes" from My Cousin Vinny for those not old enough to get the reference) Moncada is awesome at 2B  and it would be damn near impossible to be that much better at 2B to make it not even close. Moncada has GG potential, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

From the the Eric Longenhagen chat: 

I don't know what Longenhagen is seeing because despite the errors from time to time that I chalk up to being a ute (as in "the two utes" from My Cousin Vinny for those not old enough to get the reference) Moncada is awesome at 2B  and it would be damn near impossible to be that much better at 2B to make it not even close. Moncada has GG potential, IMO. 

I don't think Moncada is a great 2B, I just think he's super athletic, and thus he makes the super athletic plays. He fucks up his fair share at 2B when it comes to everything outside of having great range and athleticism. 

I support a move back to 3B, where I believe he had really good reviews from Red Sox people.

1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

https://247sports.com/mlb/scouting/Article/MLB-Draft-April-Big-Board-18-34-117698608

#18-34 on 247 sports big board. Probably very few of these guys will be an option at either 4 or 46, but its still a good read. 

Of note:

22 Alek Thomas, OF, Mount Carmel HS (IL)

Thomas has seen his stock rise significantly throughout the draft process. He has gone from borderline first rounder to a top 30 pick. He has the maturity and knowledge of the game one would expect of the son of a person who is connected to the game. He has excellent physical tools and performed well NHSI. The tools are there, the polish is there, and the performance is there. Thomas should continue to be a steady riser throughout.

From January

Thomas is a supreme athlete who has a chance to play both baseball and football in college, at TCU. His father is the strength and conditioning director for the White Sox, so Thomas was not just raised around the game, but learned from his dad what it takes physically to play in the majors. He is the best athlete in the class, in terms of potential day one picks. His 60 time is 6.63, which is blazing. He also has elite bat speed and exit velocity numbers, if one goes to Perfect Game and looks at the data. He is still 17 and won’t turn 18 until the end of April. Now, stop me if you heard this before, but Thomas’s height will be a concern, as he is 5’11”. His speed and size will make most view him as a future centerfielder. I just see a young player, raised in the game, with elite tools across the board. Thomas is another player who could fly up this board with a strong spring.

Yeah, with Thomas the Fangraphs guys mentioned there are signability concerns, so there may be a chance he falls to us. The more I read on him the more I feel like a comp for him would be Travis Swaggerty. Thomas has really good bad speed, but doesn't project for power. I feel like some of that is his size, but some is also his swing which seems really flat and geared for contact right now. If he has a swing change like Swaggerty and gives up some of his contact for more power, they could be very similar with a L/L CF profile of average hit/at least average power/ plus speed/above average defense. 

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I wouldn't pass on Matthew Liberatore in favor of a college hitter other than Bohm. 

He's been so inconsistent velocity-wise. While I think the chance is close to nil that they select a prep arm at 4, I would much prefer Carter Stewart at this point.  That curveball and it's spin rate is just hngh.

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

He's been so inconsistent velocity-wise. While I think the chance is close to nil that they select a prep arm at 4, I would much prefer Carter Stewart at this point.  That curveball and it's spin rate is just hngh.

They would have last year if Mackenzie Gore made it down to them. Not the same caliber of prospect obviously but everything Hostetler has said publicly and privately is false if they've already ruled out HS pitching. 

Len
2:07
Any new buzz in the top 10 since your mock and rankings updates last week?

Kiley McDaniel
2:08
yep, hearing 2-3-4 will go Swaggerty-Bohm-Madrigal now, with Cincy at 5 being the first wild card where people don't really have a beat on it. Bart seems to be the favorite with Singer as the cut rate option. Then after that it's still shrug emoji

Anthony
2:27
Eric said yesterday he'd mock Swaggerty at 2 today. Assuming you've heard the same, is that a reflection on Swaggerty's reputation in the scouting community improving or just that the Giants like him more than most?

Kiley McDaniel
2:28
I mean he was hitting poorly when I saw him and a little after that, while he's now hitting better, so I guess he's seen a little more positively, but teams are still largely having trouble clearly saying which of those three (and some toss Bart in that group) that they prefer, so it isn't a wild swing, more than we've heard SF prefers him over Bohm (and we already reported they won't take Madrigal).

Josh
2:41
Between Swaggerty, Bohm and Madrigal, who do you think has the highest floor and highest ceiling?
Kiley McDaniel
Floor is Madrigal, ceiling is probably Bohm but it's pretty close between the three
LeBron is the GOAT
Have you heard even a whisper of Madrigal to Detroit? As a Tigers fan, I'd love it if we occasionally had a good hitting prospect.
Kiley McDaniel
2:42
From what I've heard it ain't happenin
  • Thanks 1

Mr Bean
2:35
You said in the MLB Draft Prospects comment section that Kowar has two 60s. What are they?
Kiley McDaniel
FB and CH
Adam
2:40
Can you tell me a little about Lenny Torres Jr and the round he’s projected to go in?
Kiley McDaniel
Sounds like he's creeping from comp round into the 1st round. up to 98 mph, flashes a plus hook, some reliever risk
Anonymous
2:40
What are your thoughts on Greyson Jenista? Do you see him becoming a 20-25 home run guy?
Kiley McDaniel
Power for 25-30, but not a lot of loft in his swing, so will need to make that adjustment
Travis
2:45
Still confident in Swaggerty's swing mechanics? (lower half and hitch)
Kiley McDaniel
I've found the internet is really eager to announce hitters have unfixables hitches in their swing and any teenager that throws hard will blow out later today
Dave
2:51
Kiley, what's the safer bet for a team drafting in the top 10, that Rolison cleans up his delivery and improves his command or that Gilbert's fastball bounces back (perhaps he's over-worked?)?
Kiley McDaniel
I would say Rolison, I never bet on pitchers regaining velo they lost unless there's a clear injury/mechanical thing
Jack
2:53
What's the lowest realistically Singer could fall? No chance he makes it into the 20's right?
Kiley McDaniel
don't think so
Len
2:54
Highest spot India could go?
Kiley McDaniel
Could get into the teens
Dave
2:55
Kiley, if the Reds don't take Kelenic, what do you think are the chances he makes it to the A's at #9?
Kiley McDaniel
pretty decent shot
Dave
2:55
Kiley, how far has Nander De Sedas fallen and can he get himself back up before the draft?
Kiley McDaniel
i think he should go to school, he hasn't looked good this spring
Pickle Nick
2:57
Any reliever risk with Rocker (I mean more than the typical HS pitcher)?
Kiley McDaniel
Not really, he throws a lot of strikes for a guy with that kind of stuff
John
2:58
Could Greyson Jenista sneak into the top 10?
Kiley McDaniel
more 20s is what we're hearing
Slick Rick Hahn
3:01
Alek Thomas’s dad is our strength coach and I am getting a college bat at 4 for sure, any chance I can push Thomas to my 2nd round pick? Cold weather HS player but he seems to be ranked higher than my pick on every board. Worth going underslot at 4?
Kiley McDaniel
late 20s, early 30s there's multiple teams on him, so it'll cost you but the TCU commit may help a bit
Mark
3:04
Where does Michael Toglia (2019 UCLA) best profile in the long run - RF or 1B?
Kiley McDaniel
RF for me
Hank Scorpio
3:07
What's the word on Joe Gray Jr this spring? He has massive tools but is his feel to hit improving?
Kiley McDaniel
2nd round, has been solid
Hank Scorpio
What do you think of Blaze Alexander? I hear he has helium.
Kiley McDaniel
ranked him high but he looked bad this week when i saw him and more guys are telling me that's what they've been seeing
Tim
3:08
Now that a top 4 draft prospects has established themselves, where would you put their FVs? Do any or all of them slide right into the top 100 after the draft?
Kiley McDaniel
Tentatively all 55s, but may be some 50s in that group when the board goes up
Hank Scorpio
What do you think of Blaze Alexander? I hear he has helium.
Kiley McDaniel
ranked him high but he looked bad this week when i saw him and more guys are telling me that's what they've been seeing

Law chat today.

Adam D.: Any early buzz about who the Giants might take at #2? I would like to see an upside play like Stewart, but it seems like the general strength of the college players near the top, combined with their refusal to play the rebuilding game makes them likely to go that route. Thoughts? 
Keith Law: The current buzz is that all or at least five of the top six picks will likely be college guys. I wouldn’t rule out Stewart – Dick Tidrow, whose opinion really matters in the Giants’ draft room, saw Stewart’s best outing – but I could see the picks going Mize (1), McClanahan, Bart, Bohm, Madrigal, India, or something similar to that. Bart could go anywhere from 2 to 9, Madrigal maybe 5-9, Bohm 3-6. Mize is atop just about everyone’s boards, even guys who don’t like the delivery.