2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

6 hours ago, Lillian said:

I just watched this video, breaking down Madrigal's swing. Never mind, not with the 4TH pick:

Bottom line is if they broke down Swaggerty there would be more glaring issues pointed out.

Not sure about Bohm, haven’t looked into his swing enough yet myself.

Main issue with Madrigal is generating power but that’s not his profile or top tool. It’s literally his only missing tool and he can be a pretty damned valuable player with a sure fire floor.

I’m way in on him compared to Swaggerty.

7 hours ago, Lillian said:

I just watched this video, breaking down Madrigal's swing. Never mind, not with the 4TH pick:

I watched this video and was concerned about his swing mechanics as well. Then I found a video of Jose Altuve in High A with very similar mechanical flaws. He just needs to correct in the same manner. Altuve still does the high leg kick, but his set is now much more of a plant than a reach, which is what has allowed him to tap into power that people didn't think he could have. If Madrigal makes the same mechanical adjustment, we might expect similar results.

44 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Bottom line is if they broke down Swaggerty there would be more glaring issues pointed out.

Main issue with Madrigal is generating power but that’s not his profile or top tool. It’s literally his only missing tool and he can be a pretty damned valuable player with a sure fire floor.

If I'm Madrigal's hitting coach, I'm making him watch a minimum of an hour of Jose Altuve at bats every day.

6 hours ago, hi8is said:

Yep Swaggerty now hitting under .300 against inferior pitching

On 4/28/2018 at 2:26 PM, Lillian said:

Here is what John Sickels, of Baseball Nation had to say about Madrigal, just last week:

"Speed is the best tool overall, with grades between 60 and 70 depending on the source. You can split the difference at 65 if you like, but everyone agrees that he’s an excellent baserunner with an ideal combination of instincts, athleticism, and aggression. 

Speed doesn’t matter much if you can’t get on base but Madrigal excels in that department, with a superior batting eye and contact ability. There’s plenty of bat speed and his power production has improved steadily. He should hit a substantial number of doubles and triples and has a shot at hitting double-digit homers down the line. He can bunt, too, if you’re interested in small ball.

Madrigal plays second base for the Beavers due to the presence of Cadyn Grenier at shortstop. Madrigal is a tremendous second baseman, MLB.com going so far as to say he could be a Gold Glover someday. His arm and range are good enough for him to be a plausible shortstop, too. To top it all off, his makeup is considered superb."

Well, there is your SS and lead off hitter, allowing Moncada to move to the middle of the order. Let him take Anderson's place, when he's ready. If Anderson becomes a star, he'll net something very valuable, in a trade, with that contract.

I'm not going to lie, I can on board with him, albeit he doesn't scream protypical top 5 pick.  I like Brohm.  

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

I’d be OK with Bohm, but it would be nice to get a guy without uncertainty about their defense. The FG guys seems to be satisfied with him being decent at 3B, but it seems like everyone else is less convinced. 

23 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It isn't like Barney was a top 5 pick or something.  

Yeah I don’t see the Goins thing either. The guy that comes to mind for me is Eckstein. A 5’7” R/R high contact 2B whose arm is stretched out at SS, but makes it work. Even then, Madrigal is his own guy. He’s more athletic, toolsy.

1 hour ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

From the research that I have done so far, I am hoping for Alex Bohm. I think he could move pretty quickly through the organization.

Alec lol

I don't think any of the positional players are worth #4 pick with possible exception of Turang finishing season with momentum. Alternatively, Sox are positioned to land a rotation piece like Singer or Rocker (assuming Mize is gone). I like Mize as #1 but you can make a case for Singer being 1A and don't let the mocks fool you...Rocker will be the first HS pitcher taken.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

I don't think any of the positional players are worth #4 pick with possible exception of Turang finishing season with momentum. Alternatively, Sox are positioned to land a rotation piece like Singer or Rocker (assuming Mize is gone). I like Mize as #1 but you can make a case for Singer being 1A and don't let the mocks fool you...Rocker will be the first HS pitcher taken.

Agree with you on the positional players at the top of the draft, they all seem to have glaring flaws to their game that I just don't trust the development staff to rectify. I know this is out of the realm of possibility but ideally they would draft a prep player like Kelenic with an underslot deal and splurge on a player that drops to the top of the second. (e.g. Kelenic at #4 and throw a bunch of cash at Hankins if he's still around at #46, very unlikely but would be amazing)

44 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Would be shocked if they selected a high school player here...

Agreed. Only one I can see is Kelenic and that's just because he really just started getting into his season, so maybe he is able to rise some while the top college position players cool off. I think its more likely we take one of the high upside HS guys in the second. Maybe one of Jordyn Adams, Nick Schnell, Mike Siani, or Parker Meadows if any of them are still there.