2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

What if the Sox were able to get Jonathan India under slot? If we are going underslot, do we prefer him to Kelenic?

If the Sox can be sure he goes underslot, I would take a combo of underslot on India and overslot on a HS pitcher with pick #45.

I'm still hoping for Bohm or Madrigal, but India/Kelenic underslot paired with a HS pitcher at #45 would make me just as happy.

https://www.diehards.com/oklahoma/kyler-murray-oklahoma-sooners-football-big-12-scouting-report-freakish-athlete-rodney-anderson-cale-gundy

An anonymous Big 12 coach had plenty of praise for Murray’s talents.

“He’s got some freakish type skills,” the coach said. “He can run so well, he’s so explosive, so fast, but this dude can sling the hell out of it, too.”

Murray served as Mayfield’s backup in 2017 after sitting out the 2016 season following his transfer from Texas A&M. He completed 18 of his 21 passes for 359 yards, 3 touchdowns and no interceptions. He also ran for 142 yards (10.1 yards per carry), mostly as a wildcat quarterback.

Oklahoma sophomore outfielder Kyler Murray was ranked the No. 36 prospect in the 2018 MLB Draft by ESPN's Keith Law on Thursday. 

Murray was the highest ranked Big 12 player in the projection of 50 players. Murray is currently averaging .279 batting with five home runs and 28 RBIs. Murray is also currently battling to be the starting quarterback on the football team.

Last season Murray threw for 359 yards and three touchdowns as Baker Mayfield's backup quarterback. The 2018 MLB Draft will take place June 4 -- Murray has yet to make a decision if he will enter or not. 

“Murray is slated to start at quarterback this fall for the Sooners, but if he’s finally ready to play baseball full time, his plus-plus speed and contact-oriented swing would make him a first-round pick — especially since he’s played fairly well since moving into the Sooners’ lineup in the third weekend of the spring.”

This season for the Sooners, Murray is batting .279 with five home runs and 28 RBI.

One possibility for Murray would be to play professional baseball during the summer before returning to campus to join the football team for the 2018 campaign.

“We’ve had some discussions on that,” head coach Lincoln Riley said after the spring game, via NewsOK.com. “We’re open and honest with each other about that and I’m comfortable about where we’re at with it.”

Oklahoma opens the 2018 college football season against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 1.

https://campussports.net/2018/04/19/oklahoma-football-kyler-murray-could-be-top-mlb-draft-pick/#!

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

What if the Sox were able to get Jonathan India under slot? If we are going underslot, do we prefer him to Kelenic?

If the Sox can be sure he goes underslot, I would take a combo of underslot on India and overslot on a HS pitcher with pick #45.

I'm still hoping for Bohm or Madrigal, but India/Kelenic underslot paired with a HS pitcher at #45 would make me just as happy.

You're over complicating it, unless India is one of those guys (like he claimed Collins and Burger to be) who they saw as the #1 prospect or definitely close to the top of their boards.

With the lack of a big-time track record prior to this year...it seems to be too much of a risk for such a high pick.   Then again, we were able to get Hansen in the 2nd round (otoh, Adams/Beck were thought to be huge talents in neither of them have blossomed with the Sox).

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You're over complicating it, unless India is one of those guys (like he claimed Collins and Burger to be) who they saw as the #1 prospect or definitely close to the top of their boards.

With the lack of a big-time track record prior to this year...it seems to be too much of a risk for such a high pick.   Then again, we were able to get Hansen in the 2nd round (otoh, Adams/Beck were thought to be huge talents in neither of them have blossomed with the Sox).

Going from projected pick #10 to #4 isn't much of a gamble. But it's small reach I could be ok with them taking if there is financial incentives and payoff for doing so. We aren't talking about them drafting Beer at #4. India is exploding up the draftboards. In a month, he could be very well considered top 5 anyway.

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Going from projected pick #10 to #4 isn't much of a gamble. But it's small reach I could be ok with them taking if there is financial incentives and payoff for doing so. We aren't talking about them drafting Beer at #4. India is exploding up the draftboards. In a month, he could be very well considered top 5 anyway.

Agreed^ If India finishes the season strong, he could go top 5 anyways. I'm sure the Sox are scouting him. 

What about Liberatore at #4? 

I know we all seem to think the Sox want to go with a college bat (and they likely do), but Liberatore seems to be a high upside HS lefty that could develop three plus pitches with average or better control. 

21 minutes ago, Lillian said:

India is especially intriguing because apparently he could go back to SS. If he is good defensive SS, his bat would play very well, indeed.

Good defensive SS is a stretch it seems.  If he was projected to be good there, he'd be the top position player available.  Instead we are seeing notes such as "could fake it at SS," and "could be drafted by a team that doesn't care about defense."

If they decide to go with a college bat, as of this moment, with a month to go, I'm hoping for India as an under slot pick, at #4. 3RD base would be just fine, with some middle infield flexibility, if needed. 

Edited by Lillian

2 hours ago, steveno89 said:

What about Liberatore at #4? 

I know we all seem to think the Sox want to go with a college bat (and they likely do), but Liberatore seems to be a high upside HS lefty that could develop three plus pitches with average or better control. 

I'd be good with a prep pitcher at #4, Liberatore is interesting but I also really like Kumar Rocker. Great size and stuff, just seems like he'll be a durable workhorse in the mold of Sabathia.

7 minutes ago, Bruce_Blixton said:

I'd be good with a prep pitcher at #4, Liberatore is interesting but I also really like Kumar Rocker. Great size and stuff, just seems like he'll be a durable workhorse in the mold of Sabathia.

HS Pitching is basically the one thing I want to avoid at 4. Way too high of a bust rate for seemingly really good prospects. Plus, there is so much talent in that group that the talent difference between the person you can get at 4 and and 46 is smaller than the other groups, so its better to take one of the other groups. 

58 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

HS Pitching is basically the one thing I want to avoid at 4. Way too high of a bust rate for seemingly really good prospects. Plus, there is so much talent in that group that the talent difference between the person you can get at 4 and and 46 is smaller than the other groups, so its better to take one of the other groups. 

This is very true and guys like Kolek and Aiken prove your point but with this year's draft I feel like the highest upside at the top of the draft is with the prep pitchers. Not really sold on Madrigal, Bohm or Swaggerty.

I think Madrigal would have to max out his skillset to be successful in the majors and even then he most likely profiles as a light-hitting second baseman with average speed. If he was more like Trea Turner I'd be all for it but I think he'll be league average at best. Unless Bohm works extremely hard on his fielding a la Ryan Zimmerman I feel like he'll inevitably move to first and power-hitting first baseman can be found in the later rounds. We've all been over Swaggerty's limitations so I won't bemoan that anymore.

As excited as everyone is about Liberatore, that's how excited everyone was about Hankins nary a month ago.

High School pitchers just have too many reps/physical changes to undergo ahead of them to be popped in the top 5. It's an extreme risk in an already extremely risky game.

That BA list has some great names to watch around the white sox second round pick. At 49 (which is where I think we pick? I may screw this up) they have will banfield listed, the top HS catching prospect.

Up and around it include JT Ginn (i like a lot, but big project), Griffin Conine, Joe Gray, Alek Thomas, Seth Beer, etc.

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

BA top 500 draft prospects was released today.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2018-top-500-mlb-draft-prospects/

Some quick observations.  Cole Winn jumped 9 spots to number 10.  India moved up 5 spots to number 15.  Trevor Lanarch up to 26 from 33.  Jordyn Adams to 45 from 99.

Interesting to see Seth Beer and Alek Thomas rated right next to each other.

Some good draft Q&A in today's Keith Law chat. Some India questions for those that are on that bandwagon.

Larry
2:09    The Gorman-Atlanta connection is interesting. What's your read on his swing and miss, plus chances he stays at third? Can he play corner OF if not?
Keith Law
2:10    Lot of swing and miss, but exacerbated this spring by what I think is a new, pull-conscious approach, when the dude should just worry about hitting. He'll accidentally drop 30 bombs if he hits at all. Right field most likely, but even though he's not good at third right now, I'd give him at least two years there. Austin Riley was a below-average defender when Atlanta drafted him, worked on it, got in shape, and now he's at least a 55 defender there (from a 40), maybe even more.

leprekhan
2:16    You mentioned Nolan Gorman as being connected to the Braves in your mock, are there any other names that they have been connected to? How strong of a possibility is Kumar Rocker at #8?
Keith Law
2:16    I don't think there's any chance they do Rocker there. He's not good enough, and yesterday didn't help his chances.

Travis
2:18    Reports are that Cole Wilcox was amazing last night. How high could he go? Have any teams emerged as likely landing spots?
Keith Law
2:18    I was there. He was very good; amazing might be pushing it. I had him in the new mock and believe he goes in the top 20 or so picks.

Adam D.
2:24    With the full understanding that it's way too early to be sure about anything, what level of confidence do you have that Singer is the pick for the Giants at #2? I am not enthusiastic about it, as you might have noticed.
Keith Law
2:24    I have heard them with four players; he and Bart are the two most likely, again, given what I've heard from #sources.
2:25    I share your lack of enthusiasm. I have never understood the fascination with Singer. There are guys with better stuff, and better deliveries, and better command in this draft.

Joe
2:26    You mocked Gorman to the Braves at 8. Do you think n he is the highest upside power hsbat in draft? And would you take him that high?
Keith Law
2:26    He has the most raw power in the draft, period. I would not take him there, because the hit tool really worries me, but that's not to say this is a bad pick.

Moltar
2:31    Thanks for chatting, Keith. Your info is always solid so I'm sure it's motivated, but India to the Mets at 6 was very surprising. Most reports I saw on him had him more sandwich round than top 10. Was this more a function of Bart, Bohm and Madrigal being off the board in your mock? If the Mets are intent on a college bat, do they clearly prefer India to, say, Swaggerty?
Keith Law
2:32    Again, this is all based on what I've heard from sources in the industry. Nobody in the industry thinks India is a sandwich pick. Swaggerty is barely hitting above .300 in a bad conference where he's faced almost no quality pitching. I like the profile - CF with some pop, good eye, plus speed - but he has to actually hit, and his swing has slipped a little bit this spring.

Jacob
2:37    How close is the talent gap between Jarred Kelenic and Connor Scott? Is the difference the lengthy track record that Kelenic possess?
Keith Law
2:37    I think Kelenic has shown a lot more at the plate, hitting and especially power.

Gary
2:40    Team needs or drafting philosophies notwithstanding, would it be a bad choice to take Madrigal 2nd after Mize? Reading through your mock, it seems like he has the best chance to be a productive big leaguer from the rest of the pool.
Keith Law
2:41    I think that's a high floor and very limited ceiling pick. If you do that, you had better save enough to go well over slot in the second round.

Nick
2:43    Jonathan India has put up some sexy numbers this season.  I'm intrigued by him after you mocked him to the Mets at 6.  Do you think that would be a solid pick at 6 and what type of player do you see him becoming?
Keith Law
2:44    Very solid pick. Everyday player. I'd send him out as a shortstop, knowing you could always restore him to third or slide him to second.

Pat
2:53    Hypothetical- If something happened to Mize (injury, bad medicals, whatever), who do you think Detroit would go with at 1-1.
Keith Law
2:54    Entirely fair question. My guess is they would shop a deal to 3-4 players, probably including Stewart, Singer, Bart, maybe Liberatore. Most folks I asked for that mock just assumed they'd take Mize, so I'm a little light on other info there.

Ryan
2:54    Thanks for chatting Keith. If you are placing the top draft prospects into tiered buckets, at what slots do they move from Tier I to Tier II, Tier II to Tier III, etc?
Keith Law
2:56    Mize is in his own tier. I'd reorder that last top 50, with Winn, Bart, and India sliding up and Rocker, Vasil, McClanahan sliding down, and I'd put a line between those groups.
No more word on Vasil's injury; he may throw a pen this week. It was irresponsible to have him throw an unscheduled relief inning that Saturday, two days before a scheduled start. Scouts were there Monday for the start, not Saturday.

Law is all aboard the India train it seems.  Sees him as a very solid pick at 6.  Wonder if we will see this reflected in Fangraphs upcoming mock.  Law is often ahead of the curve on these.  He would no doubt be an underslot guy at 4 yea?

Dave
3:08
Keith, starting see a lot of connections between the A's and Swaggerty, including your mock draft.  Is this more a case of the A's liking Swaggerty in particular, or the A's liking a college bat and Swaggerty seems the most likey to fall to #9?

Keith Law
Good college bat who was previously projected to go much higher. There's a value play in that.

Dave
Keith, do you think Joey Bart can be a middle of the order bat in the majors?

Keith Law
3:09
Yes, but in the 4-5-6 sense, not a 2 hitter. High power, low average guy.