2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

12 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Am I the only one who has no interest in Joey Bart? I've never seen anything glowing about him, other than the fact that he can stick at catcher. Does he have any plus skills? Possibly plus power? It just blows my mind that he could go #2 just based on superficial reports I've heard.

His power is plus, as is the defense. The main question is his hit tool, which is a big one of course and why I wouldn’t be crazy about taking him 4th.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Goes to show that their top 500 or so is not a mock. Alek thomas goes first round there (as he's been consistently rumored to).

Interesting tidbit that Turang if he's out of top ten may be likely to go to LSU. Demanding a lot.

I know this is impossible, but could we somehow pull off India as an underslot option at #4 and then use the savings to get Turang with our second pick?  There is about a $2M difference in slot value between the #4 & #10 pick.  India seems like a guy who might forgoe a good chunk of that difference to be selected higher in the draft.  Probably not enough to get Turang to bite, but I do kinda of like that type of strategy if Mize or Bohm isn’t available at #4.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know this is impossible, but could we somehow pull off India as an underslot option at #4 and then use the savings to get Turang with our second pick?  There is about a $2M difference in slot value between the #4 & #10 pick.  India seems like a guy who might forgoe a good chunk of that difference to be selected higher in the draft.  Probably not enough to get Turang to bite, but I do kinda of like that type of strategy if Mize or Bohm isn’t available at #4.

I thought about it too, but much more likely a team like the Royals with 600 comp picks would try to woo him with pick 2, and use excess budget on some lower cost players with remaining ones.

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Am I the only one who has no interest in Joey Bart? I've never seen anything glowing about him, other than the fact that he can stick at catcher. Does he have any plus skills? Possibly plus power? It just blows my mind that he could go #2 just based on superficial reports I've heard.

No, you're not. I'll be very disappointed if the Sox take him at number 4.

a few days out but here is sixmanrotation's take on the draft

4 Chicago White Sox

Nick Madrigal, 2B, Oregon State

Polished college bats are always a premium come draft time and Nick Madrigal provides some great tools. Madrigal is a plus-plus runner with an advanced feel for hit and is a plus-plus fielder at second base. His power might just be average but we are talking about a future lead-off hitter who gets on base at a high clip and uses his speed to steal bags and turn singles into doubles.

and here is the3rdmanin's take as well

4. Chicago White Sox: Nick Madrigal, SS/2B, Oregon State

Nick Madrigal is only 5-foot-8 and 165 pounds, which could hamper his draft stock. He’s also missed all but eight games with a fractured hand this spring. However, since returning from injury, Madrigal is hitting .455 with two doubles, two home runs and 11 RBIs in 13 games. He’s also 3-for-3 on stolen base attempts and hasn’t committed an error at second base.

The White Sox also are leaning the college route, as Wichita State third baseman Alec Bohmand South Alabama outfielder Travis Swaggerty are options here.

13 hours ago, fathom said:

One observation I have from watching India is I'm not sure how well his power will translate to wooden bats. I've seen a handful of his homers and they weren't exactly bombs.

The maple bats and the juiced ball should minimize the effects of not using metal bats. The only place it might still be significant is near the handle. I do note that India has been hit by a pitch 10 times. That suggests that he likes to set up over the plate. If so, he might get sawed off, with inside pitches, which would make the wood bat more of a negative factor.

Edited by Lillian

18 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I think Singer or Madrigal would be solid selections given the lack of true blue chip talent at the top of the draft. Both are players that could rise through the minors fairly quickly and contribute at the mlb level.

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

I think Singer or Madrigal would be solid selections given the lack of true blue chip talent at the top of the draft. Both are players that could rise through the minors fairly quickly and contribute at the mlb level.

Agreed.  While I'm still leaning position player, I can talk myself into Singer.  He's clearly the second best college arm, will move fast, and is a safe bet to be at worst, a mid rotation guy with some upside.  He truly reminds me of Aaron Nola in the 2014 draft.  Solid stuff across the board, pitchability, poise, know's how to pitch, but a bit unsexy compared to a Mize or a McClanahan.  Seems like a pitcher that will be greater than the sum of his parts.  Also, can never have too much pitching. Especially with some of the Giolito/Fulmer questions we have at the moment.

Edited by DirtySox

25 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Agreed.  While I'm still leaning position player, I can talk myself into Singer.  He's clearly the second best college arm, will move fast, and is a safe bet to be at worst, a mid rotation guy with some upside.  He truly reminds me of Aaron Nola in the 2014 draft.  Solid stuff across the board, pitchability, poise, know's how to pitch, but a bit unsexy compared to a Mize or a McClanahan.  Seems like a pitcher that will be greater than the sum of his parts.  Also, can never have too much pitching. Especially with some of the Giolito/Fulmer questions we have at the moment.

If Singer is there, you take him for the reasons you have correctly pointed out. If he is gone by 4, it will be interesting to see who we take. Hoping its between Madrigal and India (and not Swaggerty or Bohm).

Singer would be disappointing. If the Sox are going SP, they desperately need LHSP right now, and I like the ceiling of McClanahan a lot better than Singer. If I were ranking the names I've seen bandied about for the Sox recently, it would be:

1) Madrigal

2) Bohm

3) McClanahan

4) India

5) Singer

6) Bart

7) Swaggerty

I'm on the Madrigal/Bohm train. I'm not worried about the amount of pitching talent in the system. These assets are fungible. All else equal, high-hit tool position players are the safest picks, and can be traded for mid-rotation arms later if it comes to that.

• Like 1

I know we have a dearth of LHP prospects, but I don't really care what arm a guy uses as long as he's good. The Indians last year had one lefty pitch meaningful innings for them and they were historically good. I don't think LHP is really a strong need.

Adam D.
1:25    Any new whispers from the #sources on what the Giants may do at #2? Your article this morning got me fired up for what they could potentially do picking this high.
Keith Law
1:26    Same names with them. I don't know if anyone will really know what the teams up top are doing till very close to the draft but I do feel like the top six picks will include five college guys, the names everyone is putting out there - Mize, Bart, Bohm, Madrigal.

Tom
1:12    Are the A’s in on Kelenic at all?
Keith Law
1:12    At all, yes. Gorman too. But I think those are less likely than the college guys.

Greg
1:27    If you had to redo a mock, would you still have Gorman to Atlanta?
Keith Law
1:28    Next mock will run on Thursday, then another two weeks after that, then another on draft day.

DH

1:30

If you knew they'd all end up as average fielding 1B, how would you rank the bats of Nolan Gorman, Noah Naylor, Triston Casas?

Keith Law

1:30

If you're asking pure hit tool, Naylor, Casas, Gorman. If you're talking total offensive upside, Gorman, Naylor, Casas. However, Noah Naylor is not a 1b. He's an above-average runner with arm strength and is going to play a skill position.