2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

Is India playing himself into top 5 projected range where you wouldn't be able to get him under slot?

Good point. That was one of the intriguing factors. If the Sox took him at #4 and he were ranked #5, or #6, I guess that it's of no significant benefit. Would it even be considered under slot?  I confess that I don't know exactly how the system works, in that respect. I assume that the money is almost the same between $4 and $5, correct?

Here is India's stat line:  AVG .384    OBP .525     SLG  .780    2B 11    3B 3     HR 16     RBI  40     BB 43     SO 38   SB  11   CS  2

Edited by Lillian

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Good point. That was one of the intriguing factors. If the Sox took him at #4 and he were ranked #5, or #6, I guess that it's of no significant benefit. Would it even be considered under slot?  I confess that I don't know exactly how the system works, in that respect. I assume that the money is almost the same between $4 and $5, correct?

Here is India's stat line:  AVG .384    OBP .525     SLG  .780    2B 11    3B 3     HR 16     RBI  40     BB 43     SO 38   SB  11   CS  2

It really matters where he thinks he will go as opposed to where other think he will go. If he is just happy to be in consideration for the top ten after not being a first rounder before the year, he could still go underslot at 4. However, if he is hearing all the talk about him and thinks he is definitely going in the top, he could demand top money. So its basically impossible to tell what a guy will demand. I do think we should be able to go underslot a little bit at the very least because it doesn't seem like he is in consideration for any of the teams above us, so since we are his ceiling the next possible selection should be the most he asks for. 

Just now, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

I know this is the 2018 MLB Draft thread, but is there a legit no brainer #1 overall prospect for the 2019 draft? Like a Bryce Harper or ARod type?

Nope. Bobby Witt Jr is the top high school name right now, but he isn't at their level. We will find out the high school side of it during the summer circuit where the guys really start to separate themselves. An interesting point for anyone who wants Bart because we need a catcher, there are two really good college catchers in the draft next year. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-draft-rankings-2018-2019-and-2020/

This is fangraphs rankings from before the season. For an idea of the top college guys, look at the USA college national team which is putting out names every week or so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

I know this is the 2018 MLB Draft thread, but is there a legit no brainer #1 overall prospect for the 2019 draft? Like a Bryce Harper or ARod type?

Don't believe so but still a good class nonetheless

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Murray might still be willing to sign and play partial seasons until his football career has concluded...then he would have to make a decision.

Top of first round talent.

Serious question:

Do we love this guy because we know him from football or for his baseball ability? I remember he was hot shit in HS but haven't followed him since

I'm starting to lean towards Mclanahan. Lefty that can throw 95+ with pretty good movement and command that already has a good feel for a change-up? Yes please. The mechanics and breaking pitch can be perfected. I see his ceiling as probably the highest of anyone we will have a shot at. 

Just now, TheFutureIsNear said:

I'm starting to lean towards Mclanahan. Lefty that can throw 95+ with pretty good movement and command that already has a good feel for a change-up? Yes please. The mechanics and breaking pitch can be perfected. I see his ceiling as probably the highest of anyone we will have a shot at. 

His command is awful, that's why he's dropped so much 

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Who are some of the relievers to look out for?  We know Sox have someone dedicated to that for the draft

Someone from the FO mentioned they look at relievers who could be starters but play at big schools that have too many good starters, like what happened with Dane Dunning. Someone who seemingly fits that exact profile is Michael Byrne out of Florida. He has put up some pretty great numbers and seems to have a build to be able to be stretched out.

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Serious question:

Do we love this guy because we know him from football or for his baseball ability? I remember he was hot shit in HS but haven't followed him since

https://247sports.com/Article/How-is-Kyler-Murray-viewed-as-a-2018-MLB-draft-prospect-Its-complicated-118035714

Here you go...Law has moved him all the way up to mid 30’s (and still rising)

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Serious question:

Point #3 in that article is key.

Take him in Rounds 2-10, you better have a strong inkling if he’s willing to sign or not.

Murray’s done nothing publicly to indicate how he’ll handle being drafted in terms of signing. Regional scouts will talk with Murray and his family to gauge where he’s at in terms of baseball, but Murray is also under no obligation to say.

On top of all of this, Murray is better informed than most. The nephew of former MLB player Calvin Murray, Murray knows what goes on with the draft and what it’s like to scale the minor league ladder. Additionally, Calvin Murray is an employee of MLB super-agent Scott Boras. MLB teams might be scratching their heads in terms of Murray’s future, but the Murray family will be quite insulated with this process in terms of information.

I hope there's some way the Sox can get Madrigal and Larnach. I'd also take Heimlich, but I can understand why many wouldn't want to touch him with a 10 foot pole. That said, it makes for a great value opportunity in, say, round 15 or something.

3 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I hope there's some way the Sox can get Madrigal and Larnach. I'd also take Heimlich, but I can understand why many wouldn't want to touch him with a 10 foot pole. That said, it makes for a great value opportunity in, say, round 15 or something.

It looks like Larnach is going to go in the teens. If you've been watching OSU, what do you think of Kwan?

Also about Heimlich, we get enough bad press already, I really wouldn't want to give the media a low hanging target like that. There seems to be a belief amongst many OSU fans that he is innocent and just took a plea deal to avoid something worse, but then again people usually try to stick up for their players. It's pretty crazy that had he not forgotten to re-register (or something similar, I can't remember) that people probably never would have found out about it. 

11 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Find his situation real interesting but he's a disgusting human

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Find his situation real interesting but he's a disgusting human

Or perhaps someone who was himself abused and didn't know any better. That's the most common way children become sexual offenders.