2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

4 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

They also has Alek Thomas going to the Indians at 29. 

Sox apparently have narrowed the selection for #4 overall to seven players. Likely: Mize, Bart, Bohm, Singer, India, Madrigal, Swaggerty?

Mize is gone, but the rest of the draft is far less certain. India is interesting, although the lack of a true plus tool and track record is somewhat concerning. Madrigal seems to have the highest floor. 

How fast do you guys anticipate Madrigal moving through the minors to the Bigs? Seems like he'll be a fast riser but obviously the state of the Big League club will play a factor. 2nd half 2020 if sox are contending and there's a spot for him?

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why do you assume he has to play 2B?   Where did I say that?

If you can find a player who can play 2B/SS/3B...runs and fields at a very high level, and is an excellent hitter to boot...they don’t exactly grow on trees.

Besides, by your argument, it SHOULD have been possible for the White Sox to easily supplement the core of Eaton/Sale/Q/Abreu with the likes of players listed above...IF IF IF it was so easy to do, then why couldn’t the Sox come close to managing that feat from 2009-2016?

You’re also leaving out the fact that NOW acquiring Albies, Moncada, Cano (contract) and Altuve would be prohibitively expensive for other teams.  

Btw, would you NOW support bringing in Lowrie at age 36 or Cabrera at age 32/33 to the White Sox next year, because you have included them on your list...?

You're the one who said scrap heap guys were easy to find in the pitching staff. Why don't you answer your own question?

While I hope the White Sox take advantage of the copious amount of prep talent available with the 2nd round pick and on, I can't shake the feeling that Griffin Roberts is their guy at 46.  This just screams White Sox to me.  Oh, he's also conveniently ranked 46 on BA's top 500.

Griffin Roberts

Wake Forest RHP

Notes:

Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 210 | B-T: R-R | Commit/Drafted: Twins '17 (29)
Scouting Report: After being used out of the bullpen during his first two seasons with Wake Forest, Roberts has made a phenomenal transition to a starting role this spring. Through his first nine starts, Roberts has pitched to 2.67 ERA with 90 strikeouts and 22 walks in 64 innings. His impressive numbers are a byproduct of a plus fastball in the low to mid-90s with natural running life and one of the best breaking balls in the country in a 70-grade slider that has exceptional movement and depth. The pitch regularly locks up both righthanded and lefthanded batters and creates swings and misses inside and outside of the strike zone. There will always be reliever risk with Roberts, as he has a lot of effort in his delivery and throws from a very low, three-quarter slot that can occasionally border on sidearm. He also has a history of control issues, although those concerns have been lessened this spring and in the Cape Cod League last summer, when he managed just 1.69 walks per nine innings.

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The fact that they are even considering Singer at #4 is disturbing. He better have some wicked breaking stuff if they take him there. 

Have you seen his slider?

Singer is not my favorite. This all reminds me so much of last year with Faedo and Bukauskus. Two good pitchers from dominant programs! Just know how to win! Not writing off either but the concerns with both have been prevalent. They were not safe, I don't see singer as "safe". 

I like Mize. I would like McClanahan at 10. The only pill I could swallow pitching wise would be Liberatore, and I wouldn't rank him in my top 5.

Never seen these guys play aside from Mize for like an inning. But just going by player type and risk, I'm just not buying in. 

25 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

While I hope the White Sox take advantage of the copious amount of prep talent available with the 2nd round pick and on, I can't shake the feeling that Griffin Roberts is their guy at 46.  This just screams White Sox to me.  Oh, he's also conveniently ranked 46 on BA's top 500.

He's definitely a name to consider at 46. Other college arms I like at that spot: Kris Bubic (polished lefty, doesnt turn 21 until Aug, plus change, above average command) and Tim Cate (some health issues this season, his curve is about as nasty as it gets though, reliever risk). I wonder if the Sox can go India underslot in the first and make a play at getting De Sedas in the second. De Sedas hasnt had a great spring, but adding that type of potential with your first two picks would be pretty awesome.

Edit: Blaine Knight would be an interesting pick at 46 too. Has the height to start, needs to add some weight to his frame, but routinely mid 90's with his fastball and has one of the highest spin rate breaking pitches in this class. I think he would need to be a quick mover though because he turns 22 in June.

Edited by Dunt
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dunt said:

The seams are different on an NCAA ball vs an MiLB vs an MLB ball. NCAA has the highest seams, MiLB is lower but higher than MLB. MLB has the lowest seams. It is harder to throw a breaking ball as a pitcher moves up the ladder. I think it explains a lot with Fulmer for instance, who had a wicked curve in college but it hasn't been anywhere close to as good in pro ball.  This makes it harder to scout, I always thought there should be consistency with seam height at the D1, minor league, an major league levels. Raising the seams on the MLB/MiLB ball might prevent injuries as well so I don't know why it hasn't been considered yet 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Singer is not my favorite. This all reminds me so much of last year with Faedo and Bukauskus. Two good pitchers from dominant programs! Just know how to win! Not writing off either but the concerns with both have been prevalent. They were not safe, I don't see singer as "safe". 

I like Mize. I would like McClanahan at 10. The only pill I could swallow pitching wise would be Liberatore, and I wouldn't rank him in my top 5.

Never seen these guys play aside from Mize for like an inning. But just going by player type and risk, I'm just not buying in. 

Agree with you on Singer. 

fyi...if any of you are interested in seeing Liberatore pitch...Arizona 6A championship game is tonight.  Liberatore (Mountain Ridge HS) against Sandra Day O'Conner and 3B spec Nolan Gorman.  Liberatore just the 6 innings on the 12th...I'm assuming he'll get the nod here tho.  Game time is 7pm AZ time.

Streamed here:

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/aia/gam1cfd4788cf

2 hours ago, Dunt said:

I've watched Singer for maybe 6 starts this year.  He's fine, but just not that exciting?  Solid across the board with a weird delivery and arm slot.  He just doesn't blow me away.  He doesn't have that wow factor like McClanahan's velocity, or Mize's dumb splitter. I understand the rationale for considering him, I just can't get too excited about it.

Edited by DirtySox

13 minutes ago, Baker said:

Detroit can go Bart if they’re unsure on  Mize’s MRI. They might do that anyway. That could set up red flags on Mize and send him down the list. Lots of intrigue. 

Wait is this is a thing?  I haven't heard anything about a problem on Mize's MRI.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Wait is this is a thing?  I haven't heard anything about a problem on Mize's MRI.

I mean, it's just general medical concerns.  There isn't any major buzz at the moment that something is wrong from what I know.  See below for a part of the BA Mize Top 500 Scouting report.

The stuff, pitchability and performance give Mize the ceiling of a future ace, with his medical history being the only knock on his resume. Mize was shutdown with forearm issues during the spring and summer of 2017 and has had trouble staying healthy dating back to his time as a high school prospect in Springville, Ala. He’s avoided injury issues the spring of his junior year, however, and if he continues to make his starts and nothing crazy shows up in his medical this June, he should be the first player off the board.

Edited by DirtySox

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Would he do the pre-draft physical that's offered?

Unsure, but it sounds like his MRI information will be shared with Detroit and possibly the teams picking at the top as seen in the Fangraphs mock blurb. As of right now, it truly doesn't sound like a big concern based off all the information being put out by BA/MLB/FG.

1. Detroit Tigers – Casey Mize, RHP, Auburn
Mize is still the heavy favorite here, with the backup options appearing to be Georgia Tech C Joey Bart and Florida RHP Brady Singer, while Wisconsin prep CF Jarred Kelenic has faded from contention. Teams outside the top five picks don’t expect to get Mize’s MRI (he missed time last spring with an arm issue and some clubs were worried about his health as far back as high school), and it’s possible no one other than Detroit will get it. GM Al Avila saw the Mize/Singer matchup three weekends ago; saw Bart, Georgia prep CF Parker Meadows, and Wichita State 3B Alec Bohm two weekends ago; and Oregon State 2B Nick Madrigal last week. Mississippi prep RHP J.T. Ginn is a target in the second round, as are any of the leftover prep outfielders, like Pennsylvania prep CF Mike Siani.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb-mock-draft-v-2-0/

Great stuff thanks.

While the top 5 is kinda meh, looking at that mock I keep thinking "man, what a haul for x team". Indians keep getting mocked to Alek Thomas. Think it's unlikely he makes it out past comp rounds.

With the rumor being the Sox are down to Madrigal, Singer, and Swaggerty...I'm good with either Madrigal (who may be the best hitter in the draft) or Singer (who may be the best P...reminds me of Rodon or Fulmer falling)...Don't want Swaggerty, overrated to me

If they go Singer I expect a HS INF or bat second round...maybe De Sedas
If they go Madrigal I expect a HS arm second round

1 minute ago, ChiSoxJon said:

With the rumor being the Sox are down to Madrigal, Singer, and Swaggerty...I'm good with either Madrigal (who may be the best hitter in the draft) or Singer (who may be the best P...reminds me of Rodon or Fulmer falling)...Don't want Swaggerty, overrated to me

If they go Singer I expect a HS INF or bat second round...maybe De Sedas
If they go Madrigal I expect a HS arm second round

I hope that rumor is wrong, as the only good option there is Madrigal. I would hope Bohm, India, and Bart are still considerations.

Just now, Dam8610 said:

I hope that rumor is wrong, as the only good option there is Madrigal. I would hope Bohm, India, and Bart are still considerations.

I just keep thinking about last year and how everyone was on us going with Jeren Kendall. (and JB Bukauskus)

Just now, bmags said:

I just keep thinking about last year and how everyone was on us going with Jeren Kendall.

I don't even remember that...I actually wanted Burger on Draft Day as he grew on me but initially wanted either Haseley or Smith

Unrelated: I had Sox getting Mitchell, Hawkins, Rodon, Fulmer, and Burger pre-draft and actually wanted Mitchell, Rodon, and Fulmer bad
In '12 I wanted Giolito or Stroman and '16 wanted Groome or Thaiss

9 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

India and Bart still interest me but I'll pass on Bohm...Singer may very well be the best P in this class though