2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

21 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

I don't see any bat wrap with him, basically a classic "knob to catchers feet" launch position when he lands on his stride foot.

I wouldn't mind madrigal. Seems to be a polished hitter, decent defender at second who could play short in a pinch (albeit not really every day probably) and with the mlb ball and some more pounds he probably could hit 15-20 hr. There might be higher upside guys but he is probably the safest guy and there also is an outside chance he become kinda like altuve.

Everything I've seen says he'll be an easy plus defender at second, and the only thing keeping him from SS is questions about arm strength.

36 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I would think that if he fell to us, it would be for medical reasons, meaning we should be concerned about drafting him there too.

So far with guys that fell to us as starting pitchers with injury concerns high in the first round, I think we've seemed to be ok with the risk, and honestly it hasn't worked out poorly even with Rodon.

At this point, even if we are talking about pending TJS on Mize, I would probably still take him if he fell to #4, especially if he were willing to deal because of the injury.  The only reason I would be willing to pass if he still wanted 1-1 money, or if the problem was a shoulder surgery.

My chips are basically all on Madrigal. I will fight for the "don't worry about Bohm's size" stuff, and coming around to Bart, but if he's picked before sox I'll be pretty bummed. 

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Or you try to take advantage of the draft's depth and go with the best under-slot option at #4.  That's where I'm leaning if possible.

I don't like that really. The draft is deep but not like 2 full rounds deep.  Now if the sox had their second pick in the early 20s I would be totally on board with the deal but the sox second pick is at 46  and the royals and rays will have multiple comp picks before the sox pick second. Those two teams will really dominate the early second round and at 46 not much talent might be left especially since it seems to get rarer that top talent slides than it was 10 years ago.

In their situation the sox should definitely go BPA and not spin a deal and hope that the royals and rays don't completely dominate the signability guys market.

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

Feel bad but I can’t find the tweet. But someone said it is indeed DET cooling on Mize, but they did not know why.

On 5/15/2018 at 9:36 AM, DirtySox said:

While I hope the White Sox take advantage of the copious amount of prep talent available with the 2nd round pick and on, I can't shake the feeling that Griffin Roberts is their guy at 46.  This just screams White Sox to me.  Oh, he's also conveniently ranked 46 on BA's top 500.

Wow, harder to find a more perfect fit for the Sox, you're right.

On 5/15/2018 at 1:26 PM, ChiSoxJon said:

I don't even remember that...I actually wanted Burger on Draft Day as he grew on me but initially wanted either Haseley or Smith

Unrelated: I had Sox getting Mitchell, Hawkins, Rodon, Fulmer, and Burger pre-draft and actually wanted Mitchell, Rodon, and Fulmer bad
In '12 I wanted Giolito or Stroman and '16 wanted Groome or Thaiss

Oh yeah, like 90% of the mocks I saw had the Sox getting Kendall. I really wanted Haseley or Beck, then Peterson. Haseley and Beck went before the Sox pick. Peterson dropped down to the Mets at #20. Peterson has done pretty well in A-ball so far, but nothing special. Beck has held his own so far, Haseley has been underwhelming.

Sporting News latest mock

No. 4 Chicago White Sox — Nick Madrigal, 2B, Oregon State

Standing only 5-8 and 160 pounds, Madrigal may not look the part of a top-five pick in the draft — but he hits like one.

Though he missed roughly half of this season with a broken wrist, Madrigal is hitting .438 for the Beavers in 21 games and has returned, fully healthy, in time for their postseason push. Scouts love the way he plays the game and his overall baseball IQ, comparing him to a young Dustin Pedroia.

He may not hit for as much power as the Red Sox star, but he gets on base a lot thanks to a developed approach at the plate that has allowed him to walk more than he has struck out in all three of his collegiate seasons. Look for Madrigal to be the first hitter off the board in June.

8 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Oh yeah, like 90% of the mocks I saw had the Sox getting Kendall. I really wanted Haseley or Beck, then Peterson. Haseley and Beck went before the Sox pick. Peterson dropped down to the Mets at #20. Peterson has done pretty well in A-ball so far, but nothing special. Beck has held his own so far, Haseley has been underwhelming.

Not sure how Philly has such a highly regarded system with all these draft mehhhs (Moniak, Haseley, Randolph), Sox blow their system away

New Law Mock Draft

Tigers - Mize

Giants - Bart

Phillies - Bohm

4. Chicago White Sox: Nick Madrigal, SS, Oregon State

Any of the three players ahead could go here if they fall. I haven't heard the White Sox on prep guys at this pick.

Law also notes that Madigal is not in play with Giants or Phillies. So looks like he will be available at 4 at this point.

Edited by maggsmaggs

7 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

New Law Mock Draft

Tigers - Mize

Giants - Bart

Phillies - Bohm

Law also notes that Madigal is not in play with Giants or Phillies. So looks like he will be available at 4 at this point.

Insane how Madrigal is clearly the top bat

This is reminiscent of how Aiken and Kolek went before Rodon or how Dillon Tate went before Fulmer

22 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

New Law Mock Draft

Tigers - Mize

Giants - Bart

Phillies - Bohm

Interesting. There goes his Intel that they won't take Madrigal due to Moncada/Anderson.