2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why LF though?  Seems like he’d be way more valuable in CF.  If you moved Anderson to CF, drafted Madrigal, and signed Machado for 3B, you could have a lineup like this in 2019 & 2020:

1. Moncada, 2B

2. Machado, 3B

3. Abreu, 1B

4. Jimenez, LF

5. Davidson, DH

6. A. Garcia, RF (Robert in 2020)

7. Anderson, CF

8. Sanchez, SS (Madrigal in 2020)

9. Castillo, C (Collins mid 2019)

That’s a pretty sick lineup with a bunch more prospects pushing for roles or used as trade chips.

This is a very good post, Of course it sorta hinges on Madrigal going to the Sox and being the heir to SS but I really do hope this is what happens. Collins could platoon with Davidson at DH on some days too when he comes up.

21 minutes ago, DirtySox said:
Mark
2:33
Yesterday Kiley said the top 3 picks in the draft might get blown up. Can you provide any more details?

Eric A Longenhagen
2:35
Meh. We just think the pack up top is close enough that you can talk yourself out of Mize between his injury history, atypical pitch usage, etc. We've been operating under the assumption that he'd go 1 for a while now but all that stuff I just mentioned plus what we know about where Detroit decision makers have been lately indicate that other scenarios are more possible than we've discussed up to this point.

and we all know that the Sox aren't afraid of Atypical.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

The question then becomes who would pounce? And who are the Tigers considering instead? Lots of ramifications.

My guess it would depend on medicals and salary demands.  I don't think they want a Rodon situation where they blow all of their extra money on the guy if he still wants to be paid like a 1-1. This draft is too important to not get playerS (emphasis on multiple) that anchor them in the future. 

Gilbert
3:31
Would you rather have Travis Swaggerty or Jared Kelenic? Classic example of top college OF vs top prep bat. What is the deciding factors?

Eric A Longenhagen
3:31
Kelenic. I'm not confident Swaggerty hits.

Cy Acosta 41
3:39
Love what all of you at F'graphs do, Eric. So, you're the White Sox at 4 (with today's farm system). If the following are your options, what would you do and why: (1) Madrigal; (2) Singer (or Mize, if he somehow falls to #4); (3) Convince India or Kelenic to sign underslot and use the $ for a high school stud in Round 2)? Thanks, hombre!

Eric A Longenhagen
3:39
Magic Man

3:40
He's the best guy, I'm lukewarm on Singer and things don't line up to go under slot at 4 and then over with your next pick because of all the landmines between 4 and 46

Imagine a team that has infielders available of Madrigal, Sanchez, Anderson, Moncada and whomever at 1b and you are imagining a team with depth and versatility and I love it.

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

What does FV stand for, and is 60 the max/best?

Future Value. The max is 80, which is super super rare. I don't believe I have seen anyone with an 80 FV ever. For reference sake, Acuna and Vlad Jr,, MLB Pipeline's top two prospects are both 70 FVs. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

For reference, Moncada was a 70 last year and Jimenez will be a 65 per FG.  Typically top 100 overall prospects are 50 or above.

Looking at this year's top 100 FG prospects, 55's are in the 25 to 50ish range I believe.  If that helps anyone.

9 minutes ago, maggsmaggs said:

Future Value. The max is 80, which is super super rare. I don't believe I have seen anyone with an 80 FV ever. For reference sake, Acuna and Vlad Jr,, MLB Pipeline's top two prospects are both 70 FVs. 

Mike Trout would probably be the closest thing to an 80 as a position player.  Clayton Kershaw as a pitcher would be it.

6 minutes ago, Baker said:

If the Phils take Madrigal instead of Bohm, I’d be happy to take India under slot. He’s much more versatile than M. India can be Plus at 2nd or 3rd. Madrigal, strictly a second baseman. 

Ummm...no.  He’ll be one of those unique players who can play every position on the field, except for catcher and 1B.

The Overall Player Grade

Hitter Starting Pitcher Relief Pitcher WAR
80 Top 1-2 #1 Starter —- 7.0
75 Top 2-3 #1 —- 6.0
70 Top 5 #1/2 —- 5.0
65 All-Star #2/3 —- 4.0
60 Plus #3 High Closer 3.0
55 Above Avg #3/4 Mid Closer 2.5
50 Avg Regular #4 Low CL/High SU 2.0
45 Platoon/Util #5 Low Setup 1.5
40 Bench Swing/Spot SP Middle RP 1.0
35 Emergency Call-Up Emergency Call-Up Emergency Call-Up 0.0
30 *Organizational *Organizational *Organizational -1.0

7 minutes ago, Baker said:

M. Doesn’t have arm to be Plus anywhere but 2nd. 

I have said this 1000x. Yolmer Sanchez has an average arm, yet do people complain about him at 3rd?

Again, this idea that India is super versatile and Madrigal is not just belies the scouting reports just because people say Madrigal is a plus plus 2b:

Kiley McDaniel: India, for me, is 50 hit, 50 game power (55 raw), 50-55 glove, 55 arm. Probably 3B only, but you could try him at 2B, emergency only at SS

12:21

Kiley McDaniel: and 50 run

12:22

Kiley McDaniel: Madrigal is 60 hit, 40-45 game power, 60-70 run, 50 arm, 60 glove at 2B, chance to be average at SS if he gets more reps there but not a slam dunk. And the power could turn into 50 and the hit could turn into 70 depending on what sort of swing/approach he uses

1 minute ago, joejoedairy said:

If Madrigal is the pick, any chance we see Moncada move back to 3B in the future to get Madrigal in a spot where he is gold glove caliber?

The only way I see that happening would be year 2 or so of Madrigal in the big leagues and Moncada offers it himself. I don't see sox forcing Moncada off where he's comfortable.