2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

GM Al Avila and other Tigers execs all in to see Georgia Tech catcher Joey Bart today #MLBDraft

Not that that tweet is suggesting it, but that would be nuts if they passed on Mize for Bart.  For whatever reason I seem him as a tier below the Bohm & Madrigal duo, but apparently the top couple clubs don’t feel that’s the case.

Why does it matter if Madrigal plays 3B or LF or CF?

You put “plus” defenders at any position (he’s the kind of dedicated practice player who will master any position, with the possible exception of SS, and even then, he’ll get the most out of his ability, positioning, etc.), you will end up with good results.

Why not get Jimenez off the field and into a full-time DH role?   Our outfield defense has been terrible, and that’s just one of many factors impacting the team record this year, but ALSO when you’re constructing a future playoff contender, you’d like to have 4-5 “plus” defenders at different positions on the field.

We only have one now in Moncada...and two when Sanchez plays 3B.

The Sox should take the best possible can't miss prospect when it is their turn. No saving money; none of this under slot b.s. Take the Trout of this group; the Pujols; the Sale. It's that simple, folks. You try to outsmart the system and you take Beckham or some stiff like that.

Greg, there’s no consensus position player (or any player, with questions about Mize’s health) that’s a slam dunk/can’t miss guy this year.

And Beckham wasn’t even a bad choice where he was drafted.  As Dick Allen would point out, his career WAR is actually above the average that MLB teams have gotten out of that spot in the draft since they started tracking such things.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Greg, there’s no consensus position player (or any player, with questions about Mize’s health) that’s a slam dunk/can’t miss guy this year.

And Beckham wasn’t even a bad choice where he was drafted.  As Dick Allen would point out, his career WAR is actually above the average that MLB teams have gotten out of that spot in the draft since they started tracking such things.

Have people ever gone back and looked at Gordon Beckham's junior year numbers? It's just something else. Then you get sad about what might have been.

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The Sox should take the best possible can't miss prospect when it is their turn. No saving money; none of this under slot b.s. Take the Trout of this group; the Pujols; the Sale. It's that simple, folks. You try to outsmart the system and you take Beckham or some stiff like that.

Who are you on record as the Sox should pick in order of 1-4 since we pick 4th?

6 minutes ago, Baker said:

Jim Bowden put out consensus grades yesterday. 

Madrigal: Hit 60. Pwr 40.  Arm 52. Fld 55. Run 55. 

India:  Hit 55. Pwr 52. Arm 55. Fld 60. Run 55. 

Jim Bowden? No thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baker said:

If the Phils take Madrigal instead of Bohm, I’d be happy to take India under slot. He’s much more versatile than M. India can be Plus at 2nd or 3rd. Madrigal, strictly a second baseman. 

I agree. I like India and I really don't see Madrigal being a plus defender anywhere other than 2nd. 

2 hours ago, Baker said:

If the Phils take Madrigal instead of Bohm, I’d be happy to take India under slot. He’s much more versatile than M. India can be Plus at 2nd or 3rd. Madrigal, strictly a second baseman. 

To me it's whichever of Mize, Bart, Bohm, and Madrigal makes it to 4.

Madrigal or bust for me. I think he's the best option for the Sox. People need to not worry so much about where he will play. If it even comes to that, you worry about it when the time comes or you have a really great trade chip to use and get that final piece. He could end up being the Sox version of Gleybar Torres. Can't worry about it until it happens. Plus we don't know where Anderson or Moncada or Sanchez or any of the other top 10 prospects will be developmental wise in 2-3 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

It’s that simple folks, just take the given star in the draft.  Hopefully there are four Mike Trouts in this one or that strategy might not work for us.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Have people ever gone back and looked at Gordon Beckham's junior year numbers? It's just something else. Then you get sad about what might have been.

Basically equal stats to Kris Bryant, but played against better competition. :(

40 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Madrigal or bust for me. I think he's the best option for the Sox. People need to not worry so much about where he will play. If it even comes to that, you worry about it when the time comes or you have a really great trade chip to use and get that final piece. He could end up being the Sox version of Gleybar Torres. Can't worry about it until it happens. Plus we don't know where Anderson or Moncada or Sanchez or any of the other top 10 prospects will be developmental wise in 2-3 years.

If it is a hitter, no question, I agree. I would take Mize or Singer also. Madrigal is someone  I believe can’t be screwed up. If he were 4 or 5 inches taller, he would probably be the consensus 1-1. 

This is baseball, he isn’t a 6’3” power forward or a 180 lb middle linebacker, take the baseball player.