2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

24 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

If Mize, Singer and Madrigal get taken off the board first - thoughts on Liberatore or McClanahan?

Joey Bart. 

Kiley said that he expects him to be a fast riser too since he is so polished. 

37 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

New MLB Pipeline mock. This week it's Mayo.  Have the Sox on Singer.

https://www.mlb.com/news/high-school-pitchers-rise-in-mlb-mock-draft/c-277173920?tid=151437456

Don't think there would be a lot of happy campers here if the Sox drafted SInger 4th especially after reading that article from earlier in the thread about HS RHP prospects taken early.

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

If we are all going on record with our top 4 choices....

1) Mize

2) Madrigal

3) Bohm

4) Singer

1.) Mize

2.) Madrigal

3.) India

4.) Bart

7 hours ago, DirtySox said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/high-school-pitchers-rise-in-mlb-mock-draft/c-277173920?tid=151437456

On the pipeline podcast they did say they change their mocks even if they have no new info so that they can see how everything else would shake out as a result. This could be that.

7 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Think DET is definitely down to Mize or Bart

I'm a pretty happy camper if CWS snags Madrigal or Singer ( I see a lot more CWS fans want Singer due to Giolito's and Fulmer's struggles and pitching prospects struggle...which is a whole other conversation)
Madrigal>Singer>Bart/Mize (if they fall)>India (yes I prefer Singer to Mize)

Happy to see Swaggerty out of the discussion but definitely don't want Bohm

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Oops paywall. Here yall go.

1.) Mize

2.) Bart

3.) Bohm

4.)

Nick Madrigal

Oregon State2B/SS

Notes:

Chicago is probably going to college for this pick, with a handful of hitters and pitchers in the mix. The team would love for Madrigal to get here, as he is one of the surest bats in the class and has hit close to .400 since coming back from injury. He also offers the team some athleticism and defensive value that the White Sox could crave after a taking some slower-twitch sluggers in Jake Burger, Zack Collins and Gavin Sheets in the past two years. 2013 first round pick Tim Anderson had plenty of athleticism and he’s worked out nicely. 

Jonathan India, Brady Singer, Travis Swaggerty and Shane McClanahan could also be in play here, as well as Bart and Bohm if they are still on the board.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Think DET is definitely down to Mize or Bart

I'm a pretty happy camper if CWS snags Madrigal or Singer ( I see a lot more CWS fans want Singer due to Giolito's and Fulmer's struggles and pitching prospects struggle...which is a whole other conversation)
Madrigal>Singer>Bart/Mize (if they fall)>India (yes I prefer Singer to Mize)

Happy to see Swaggerty out of the discussion but definitely don't want Bohm

I’m going to say this.  We should not be using the 4th overall pick based on the struggles of a couple pitching prospects or a need at the major league level.  But even if we ignore that logic, I’d argue drafting Madrigal is the better way to address the pitching staff than Singer.  The reason for that is twofold.  First, you avoid the inherent injury risks that come with pitching prospects.  Second, if guys like Giolito & Lopez fail, we’re more likely to trade for a controllable arm than wait for Singer to reach the pros.  As such, I take Madrigal because he is the better & safer trade chip.  And if I don’t end up needing to trade for pitching, great I selected the BPA and have a damn good middle infield prospect in my system that provides much needed depth.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m going to say this.  We should not be using the 4th overall pick based on the struggles of a couple pitching prospects or a need at the major league level.  But even if we ignore that logic, I’d argue drafting Madrigal is the better way to address the pitching staff than Singer.  The reason for that is twofold.  First, you avoid the inherent injury risks that come with pitching prospects.  Second, if guys like Giolito & Lopez fail, we’re more likely to trade for a controllable arm than wait for Singer to reach the pros.  As such, I take Madrigal because he is the better & safer trade chip.  And if I don’t end up needing to trade for pitching, great I selected the BPA and have a damn good middle infield prospect in my system that provides much needed depth.

Love this post. Totally agree.

I hate using the cubs as an example since they are the only example ever used, but Happ at any point could be as much of a piece to acquire pitching as if they had drafted a pitcher (and lots of good pitchers were drafted behind him.)

Also the third fold is Madrigal will improve our defense.

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

While I'm fully on board with Madrigal and the draft the bats approach, Singer won't need much time. It was either Kiley or Eric that essentially described him as a finished product. Could probably drop him into the rotation in early 2019 after securing the extra year of control. Not how I would go about it, but I could see the Sox taking said approach if they popped Singer.

Edited by DirtySox

20 hours ago, maggsmaggs said:

Basically equal stats to Kris Bryant, but played against better competition. :(

18 hours ago, DirtySox said:

With 28 HRs!

16 hours ago, fathom said:

Was that with old school bats?

15 hours ago, raBBit said:

Yes, BBCOR started in 2011

Just wanted to emphasize the distinction here. You absolutely should not compare stats pre- and post-BBCOR metal bat standards. I've seen estimates of about a 40% reduction in homers and 25% reduction in run scoring attributable to the change in bats. The effects would be especially pronounced among guys like Beckham who had marginal power.

14 minutes ago, Jake said:

Just wanted to emphasize the distinction here. You absolutely should not compare stats pre- and post-BBCOR metal bat standards. I've seen estimates of about a 40% reduction in homers and 25% reduction in run scoring attributable to the change in bats. The effects would be especially pronounced among guys like Beckham who had marginal power.

Totally forgot about this. Great call.