2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

14 minutes ago, Jake said:

Just wanted to emphasize the distinction here. You absolutely should not compare stats pre- and post-BBCOR metal bat standards. I've seen estimates of about a 40% reduction in homers and 25% reduction in run scoring attributable to the change in bats. The effects would be especially pronounced among guys like Beckham who had marginal power.

He led of all of NCAA in HRs. Did the entire nation have marginal power that year?

44 minutes ago, ptatc said:

He led of all of NCAA in HRs. Did the entire nation have marginal power that year?

Probably not, but when you are scouting how the power will translate a 40% reduction will make a lot of homeruns turn into flyouts. If he is a good contact guy with average power barely hitting them out, then a 40% reduction is a lot bigger than for a guy who hits massive shots but doesn't have the contact to do it consistently. It's the same thing with the ball in the majors now: it helps the big power hitters less than the small contact guys because most the HRs the power guys hit would be homeruns even without the new ball while the ones the small guys hit would just be outs or gappers. 

To get away from the #4 pick discussion a little bit, I thought I'd highlight some middle round college prospects that might be interesting (since the Sox have historically targeted these types of guys in rounds 4-10):

LHP Starters:

Adam Scott, Sr. - Wofford University: 6-3 Lefty has put up impressive numbers this year, albeit against lesser competition. He's currently sporting 11.63 K/9 rate while only walking 1.5 batters per nine innings. Given our dearth of LHPs in the system, seems like a decent cheap flier to take.

Tarik Skubal, Redshirt Jr. - Seattle U.: Drafted last year in the 29th round, Skubal is on most scouts' radar and for good reason. Has carried a 10+ K/9 ratio each of the past two seasons, but command is a concern as his BB/9 has ballooned to nearly 7 this year. The control issues might scare away some teams but since correcting those issues has been a strength of our development staff I think he'd be a good player to target in the later rounds.

RHP Starters:

Miller Hogan, Jr. - St. Louis Univ.: Has been dominant this year with a 10.84 K/9, a miniscule 1.2 BB/9 and an eye-popping 9.00 K/BB ratio. Was drafted in the 32nd round last year by the Brewers, so might have to reach a little earlier for him but his command and control might make it worth it.

Kyle Bradish, Jr. - NMSU: 6-4 righty with good size and stats, since the Sox have drafted players from this program in the past I would imagine he's on their radar. Has a very impressive 12.5 K/9 on the season but control issues are present as evidenced by his 5.7 BB/9. Seems to fit the profile of a typical Sox small-school pitcher pick, big frame and aggressive approach to hitters.

Noah Song, Jr. - Navy: Might be a tough sign due to being a Junior with another year of eligibility left and his Navy commitment but should be mentioned as a potential draft candidate. Absolutely dominating the Patriot League this year with a 1.65 ERA to go along with a gaudy 12.4 K/9 ratio, walks are a bit of an issue (4.2 BB/9) but you would have to imagine that he has a great mental approach on the mound to go along with projectable size and stuff.

Nick Sandlin, Jr. - Southern Miss: Not a typical Sox-type player as he's undersized at only 5-11 but you can't argue with his track record. His first year as a starter after being the Southern Mississippi closer for the last two years. Has been dominating a fairly decent conference to the tune of a 1.15 ERA to go along with a 13.1 K/9 rate and nearly non-existent 1.15 BB/9. His size will most likely sour a lot of teams on him but it isn't unheard of for a smaller pitcher to succeed. Also his past experience as a closer could help him transition to a reliever should starting not work out, reminds me of Ian Hamilton's trajectory.

Infielders:

Isaiah Pasteur, Jr. - George Washington: Should be an easy sign since he's already 22 years-old after transferring to GWU from Indiana after the 2016 and missing a year. Wasn't very impressive while at IU but had a breakout season this year against admittedly lesser competition. Has top-end speed nabbing 30 SBs while only being caught 3 times, has also shown developing power with 10 HRs this year. Not a terrible SO% at ~19% and a respectable 10% BB%, has a very respectable .973 fielding percentage manning the hot corner.

Chase Chambers, Sr. - Tennessee Tech: First baseman with power and very good plate discipline, fits the profile of the type of hitter the Sox has been targeting in the past couple of years. Walks more than he strikes out (15.5% BB% vs. 8.5% K%) while still carrying a lot of game power as he's hit 31 HRs over the past two seasons. Definitely a first baseman only due to his size (6-1 245lbs.), reminds me a lot of Matt Adams when he was coming out of Slippery Rock in 2009.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

No and what I'm saying can't be proved. But suppose the majority of Gordon's homers were about 15 feet past the fence. If he loses 20 feet on average with the switch to the new bats, then he loses a huge chunk of the homers. The guy who squares it up less often but clears the fence by 40-50 feet when he does, the new bats don't hurt as much. That's the logic — not everyone's game is as effected by the change in the bats.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

But Keith Law said the Sox wouldn’t consider him because of Anderson & Moncada and who would have more insider information to White Sox happenings than Keith Law!

But joking aside, this is obviously a good sign if you’re pro Madrigal.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But Keith Law said the Sox wouldn’t consider him because of Anderson & Moncada and who would have more insider information to White Sox happenings than Keith Law!

But joking aside, this is obviously a good sign if you’re pro Madrigal.

Law gets bad info because people in the industry generally don’t like him. Was told this by a Blue Jays crosschecker. I take him with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Definitely think Madrigal at 4 is a done deal now...virtually

Mize, Bart, Bohm may be the first 3

Yeah, it seems like the only thing that could mess it up is if the Tigers take Bart at 1 and then the question is who the Giants take and who the Phillies back up is if Bohm is taken. I'm assuming the Giants would be happy to take Mize at 2, so it should still work out that Madrigal is there at 4.

52 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

Law gets bad info because people in the industry generally don’t like him. Was told this by a Blue Jays crosschecker. I take him with a grain of salt. 

Oh I was just kidding and I’m pretty sure there is bad blood between him and our front office due that David Wells / Mike Sirotka deal.  He’s probably the last guy I would trust in terms of White Sox rumors.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh I was just kidding and I’m pretty sure there is bad blood between him and our front office due that David Wells / Mike Sirotka deal.  He’s probably the last guy I would trust in terms of White Sox rumors.

Oh, I could sense the sarcasm. Was just kind of continuing your thought. I Should have made that more clear. 

Been trying to catch as many Oregon St games as I can, and Madrigal is something else at the plate. Bases loaded AB, works a 10ish pitch AB and smacks it the other way for a bases clearing triple.  He's fun to watch.

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I don't love any of the other guys so I won't complain, but boy is Madrigal a very uninspiring #4 overall pick. Bad year to have the 4th pick. 

Yep, a guy who could be Pedroia or Altuve is just a terrible result for 4th overall.

35 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Yep, a guy who could be Pedroia or Altuve is just a terrible result for 4th overall.

Madrigal doesn't have near the power of either of those guys. To think that he has 20+ HR potential is far fetched at best. He's a terrific player, I'm not putting him down, I'm just saying in terms of pure ceiling and potential he's not an ideal top 4 pick in my opinion. Typically in the top 5 I'd expect to get a SP with #1 potential or potential franchise middle of the order type hitter. I see none of that. I'd put Madrigal as the #2 prospect in this class, I just think it's a weak class.