2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

24 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Madrigal doesn't have near the power of either of those guys. To think that he has 20+ HR potential is far fetched at best. He's a terrific player, I'm not putting him down, I'm just saying in terms of pure ceiling and potential he's not an ideal top 4 pick in my opinion. Typically in the top 5 I'd expect to get a SP with #1 potential or potential franchise middle of the order type hitter. I see none of that. I'd put Madrigal as the #2 prospect in this class, I just think it's a weak class. 

It wasn't realistic to think Altuve had 20+ HR power until he did. Based on what I've seen, read, and heard, I think Madrigal has a decent shot of becoming the next Altuve. I know no one is supposed to say things like that because can't miss prospects bust all the time and whatnot, but the similarities to Altuve at similar ages is striking to me.

18 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

It wasn't realistic to think Altuve had 20+ HR power until he did. Based on what I've seen, read, and heard, I think Madrigal has a decent shot of becoming the next Altuve. I know no one is supposed to say things like that because can't miss prospects bust all the time and whatnot, but the similarities to Altuve at similar ages is striking to me.

Yeah I just can't go out on that limb to say he'll be 1 of the best hitters in the game. That's your opinion, I'm not going to talk you out of it. I hope the Sox take him and you end up being right. If I had to predict I'd say DJ LeMahieu with more speed. Which is a damn good player, make I'm being greedy by asking for more....

But if you're taking an advanced college bat like Madrigal I'd imagine he'd be on the fast track to the majors. Considering that I don't think the Sox are moving either Anderson or Moncada what position would Madrigal get moved to? Does he have the arm for 3B? Or could he make a good CF? Just something else to consider 

7 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Yeah I just can't go out on that limb to say he'll be 1 of the best hitters in the game. That's your opinion, I'm not going to talk you out of it. I hope the Sox take him and you end up being right. If I had to predict I'd say DJ LeMahieu with more speed. Which is a damn good player, make I'm being greedy by asking for more....

But if you're taking an advanced college bat like Madrigal I'd imagine he'd be on the fast track to the majors. Considering that I don't think the Sox are moving either Anderson or Moncada what position would Madrigal get moved to? Does he have the arm for 3B? Or could he make a good CF? Just something else to consider 

Timmy probably moves to the OF IF and when the time comes

Madrigal probably has an ETA of 2020 at the earliest as of now and that's obviously subject to change

9 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Kelenic

2. Bart

3. Bohm

4. Mize

Could it happen?  Probably not, but god would that be the dream.

Saw that DET was looking at Kelenic and was absolutely puzzled

Don't get it, underslot and sign more fliers? In their defense I'm not as big on Mize as others (still prefer Singer to him) and Bart at 1 is probably a reach

8 hours ago, Tony said:

I’m on the Madrigal train at this point. He’d be unlike anything the Sox have drafted in a long time.

I was thinking the same thing the other day

I'll support any pick obviously but really hope it's Madrigal

Not saying he's Altuve or Pedrioa 2.0 (who by the way are different players) but to get a bat that rakes like this would be major

Burger, Sheets, and Collins were all power bats for the most part, Madrigal is an intelligent raker

9 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I don't love any of the other guys so I won't complain, but boy is Madrigal a very uninspiring #4 overall pick. Bad year to have the 4th pick. 

Getting the top bat of a class certainly isn't uninspiring, this is a weaker class but seems to have similar talent in the higher rounds at least

I'd be more pissed if we get #1 next year and there isn't a Harper, Strasburg type

4 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Getting the top bat of a class certainly isn't uninspiring, this is a weaker class but seems to have similar talent in the higher rounds at least

I'd be more pissed if we get #1 next year and there isn't a Harper, Strasburg type

The consensus #1 right now...

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/bobby-witt-jr-shows-off-five-tool-package-at-tournament-of-stars-despite-youth/

I am also less than inspired by Madrigal.  Anytime you’re taking a guy who doesn’t fit the physical profile, there’s bust potential.  See Fulmer, Carson.  But maybe he is the best pick at 4.  What I don’t get is the idea of moving him or Anderson to the OF.  Sox have like 7 mlb quality OF prospects on the farm right now.  I predict at least 3 of them will be better hitters than Tim Anderson.  If anyone moves, I predict it would be Moncada to third base just because he has the arm and Madrigal doesn’t.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I am also less than inspired by Madrigal.  Anytime you’re taking a guy who doesn’t fit the physical profile, there’s bust potential.  See Fulmer, Carson.  But maybe he is the best pick at 4.  What I don’t get is the idea of moving him or Anderson to the OF.  Sox have like 7 mlb quality OF prospects on the farm right now.  I predict at least 3 of them will be better hitters than Tim Anderson.  If anyone moves, I predict it would be Moncada to third base just because he has the arm and Madrigal doesn’t.

I know this is Soxtalk but people really need to learn some patience. Fulmer has 67 MLB innings.

Does he have the possibility of a bust? Yes. But to use him as the poster child for a bust is really wrong.

I get it, but he lacks ideal plane and was always a risk that high in the draft.  Short right handers are a risky demo to take in the Top Ten.  That’s more my point than that Fulmer is a definite bust.

Edited by Timmy U

19 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh I was just kidding and I’m pretty sure there is bad blood between him and our front office due that David Wells / Mike Sirotka deal.  He’s probably the last guy I would trust in terms of White Sox rumors.

Law likes Hahn and has been complimentary of Hahn numerous times especially with trades, although he has not been positive on a lot of Sox drafting (hard to argue with that sentiment based on results).  It's KW that he and the BP types didn't like.

Edited by GreenSox

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

Yep. I am of the mind that Anderson is not a ML shortstop and arguably...get ready for it... not a ML hitter, hence moving him to the OF buys us nothing and risks blocking a more worthy player. That said, at least for the time being, we should keep throwing him out there in the unlikely event the switch gets flipped. Its not like we have anyone kicking down the door for PT. In fact, if you really scour the majors, there are only a handful of high-quality SSs who have been entrenched with their teams for a while and a bunch of teams with guys who are not performing much better than Anderson. Not obvious who we pursue, either in FA or by trade. 

18 minutes ago, Flash said:

Yep. I am of the mind that Anderson is not a ML shortstop and arguably...get ready for it... not a ML hitter, hence moving him to the OF buys us nothing and risks blocking a more worthy player. That said, at least for the time being, we should keep throwing him out there in the unlikely event the switch gets flipped. Its not like we have anyone kicking down the door for PT. In fact, if you really scour the majors, there are only a handful of high-quality SSs who have been entrenched with their teams for a while and a bunch of teams with guys who are not performing much better than Anderson. Not obvious who we pursue, either in FA or by trade. 

What are you basing this assessment of Anderson on exactly?

26 minutes ago, Flash said:

You stumbled right out of the blocks with this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I don't understand how Adley Rutschman isn't generating more buzz on that front. Switch hitting catchers that hit a tick under .400 with over .200 ISOs and more walks than strikeouts don't come along often. He's doing it as a sophomore.

14 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I don't love any of the other guys so I won't complain, but boy is Madrigal a very uninspiring #4 overall pick. Bad year to have the 4th pick. 

I am not sure about superstar potential,  but he is about a slamdunk of a starter as can be found in the draft.

4 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I don't understand how Adley Rutschman isn't generating more buzz on that front. Switch hitting catchers that hit a tick under .400 with over .200 ISOs and more walks than strikeouts don't come along often. He's doing it as a sophomore.

As a sophomore is he eligible?

9 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

He's eligible for 2019 I think.

Yep. And he is getting talk whenever people talk about 2019. He is on the USA Collegiate National team and was named one of the top guys for 2019. There is some hesitation though because he does currently have a .450 BABIP, so he is due for some regression, and he didn't have the best summer performance last year. 

Edited by GenericUserName

12 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Yep. And he is getting talk whenever people talk about 2019. He is on the USA Collegiate National team and was named one of the top guys for 2019. There is some hesitation though because he does currently have a .450 BABIP, so he is due for some regression, and he didn't have the best summer performance last year. 

You can't hit around .400 without having a high BABIP.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Madrigal doesn't have near the power of either of those guys. To think that he has 20+ HR potential is far fetched at best. He's a terrific player, I'm not putting him down, I'm just saying in terms of pure ceiling and potential he's not an ideal top 4 pick in my opinion. Typically in the top 5 I'd expect to get a SP with #1 potential or potential franchise middle of the order type hitter. I see none of that. I'd put Madrigal as the #2 prospect in this class, I just think it's a weak class. 

Pedroia's only had one year with over 20 hrs, when he had 21.  He's more of a 10-15 hr guy.