2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

Darn Yankees
1:04
What incentive do the Tigers have to throw a smokescreen? It's not like basketball where they can trade picks. Just to talk Mize's price down a little?

Kiley McDaniel
1:05
And have more money for their 2nd pick, with KC and TB having much more money and 3-4 picks between DET's picks

9 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Thinking of Alec Bohm. Isn't is profile similar to that of Kris Bryant when he came out in the draft? Tall 3B with fringe defense who have huge power, but also really good plate discipline?

I think Bohm is below what Bryant was coming out of college. There was more certainty that Bryant could stick at 3B, and Bryant was a better NCAA hitter. 

59 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Speaking of Fangraphs grades, does anyone know when their 2018 version of this is coming out?

It seems like it's been slated to come out "next week" for the last 4 weeks. Kiley said "soon" today in the chat.

Edit: he clarified it should come this week.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

It seems like it's been slated to come out "next week" for the last 4 weeks. Kiley said "soon" today in the chat.

Edit: he clarified it should come this week.

Any idea when this week? I've been stalking that page for the past month.

Man the medicals would have to be really bad to pass on Mize.  Dream scenario right now is Tigers do a big underslot deal with Kelenic, Giants & Phillies are infatuated with Bart & Bohm respectively, and somehow we get our choice of Madrigal & Mize.

I just hope the Giants are as obsessed with Bart as the experts are making it out to seem.  He’s probably my #4 prospect at this point, but he’s a clear tier below the Madrigal/Bohm group who are a tier below Mize.

I haven't been following Mize because I assumed, based on reputation, that he'd be long gone.  But  that info on the chat doesn't sound favorable at all (cutter/splitter guy; injury issues).

Maybe going underslot is the way to go; and then use the savings to lure prep players later.  But that all has to be pre-planned and worked out, and it doesn't seem they are looking that way.

Edited by GreenSox

11 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Would you take a chance on Mize if you knew TJ surgery was very likely?  At slot or under or pass?

Really depends on what your medical team says. Unless Mize is completely red flagged (imo) the Sox should take him if Bohm/Madrigal/Bart are all gone.

I personally think for the Sox best case is one of Bohm or Madrigal (I prefer Madrigal), but It would take major concerns to pass on Mize. The reality is that many players with no risks get injured or never pan out, so its hard to justify passing on the guy that supposedly has 1-1 talent. 

16 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Is there a 2019 MLB Draft Thread? 2 guys I really like (at some point) are Auburn SS Will Holland and UNC ace Luca Dalatri

Come back in 10 months.

55 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I still think this entire thing is just the Tigers exploring their options at the top, and trying to create some leverage if at all possible.  Until we hear more on any supposed injury concerns/red flags I'm treating it like nothing has changed.

37 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Is there a 2019 MLB Draft Thread? 2 guys I really like (at some point) are Auburn SS Will Holland and UNC ace Luca Dalatri

I'm really liking Adley Rutschman at this point. Switch hitting catcher from Oregon State hitting over .400 with more walks than strikeouts.

2 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

You should share, then.

Just looking through hitting stats this year (haven't gotten to pitchers yet) plus guys that I heard are towards the top of the draft

Josh Jung 3B/SS Texas Tech - started showing more power this year and has a sub 1 K/BB ratio

Bryson Stott SS UNLV - speedy SS with almost twice as many BBs as Ks; 29 doubles this year, so hopefully he adds the strength to put a few of those over the fence 

Andrew Vaughn 1B Cal - masher with high walks, low strikeouts; might be able to play an OF corner; not a prototypical size for a power guy

Matt Wallner RF Southern Miss - definite corner OF with big power and at least average contact

Drew Mendoza 3B FSU - intriguing power/contact profile at third, didn't make the jump this year, well thought of by prospect evaluators

Michael Toglia OF UCLA - big power (college and cape); lot of walks and lot of strikeouts; may be playing 1B this year, but one evaluator said he is a definite corner OF

Logan Davidson SS Clemson - reminds me of Jeremy Eierman in that he has speed & power but may end up at third; Davidson probably has better contact skills

Adley Rutschman C Oregon State - good eye, good defense, developing power

Will Wilson 2B/3B NC State - good power, improving eye; not much speed, so questionable range at 2B; young for grade so may have more development left

Logan Wyatt OF Louisville - great eye and double power right now; could have a Trevor Larnach like rise if he gains more power

Thomas Dillard C/OF Ole Miss - good power, good eye, good speed; not sure anything is plus; if he is a catcher he is much more interesting

Shea Langliers C Baylor - good power, good eye, worryingly low batting average this year; apparently a good defender

Braden Shewmake SS Texas A&M - showed great power/speed/contact/defense as a freshman but regressed this year; could be #1 pick, could be late rounds

And then there are all the high school guys which perfect game has ranked. The big ones there seem to be Bobby Witt Jr as a potential 5 tool SS, CJ Abrams as a speedy SS with emerging power, Rece Hinds as a power hitting 3B, and Riley Greene and Jerrion Ealy as good hitters in the outfield. The two pitchers who's names I hear the most are HS LHP Hunter Barco and TCU LHP Nick Lodolo. Pretty nice that the top 2 guys right now are both lefties and the top HS hitter seems to be an exciting tooled up SS. 

Edited by GenericUserName
  • Like 1