2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

30 minutes ago, fathom said:

So totally hypothetical and not realistic, but for a second listening to the WS Talk podcast and red line podcast, I started thinking of where would Anderson, Manny, Madrigal and Witt Jr play :)

And, of course, Moncada.

Keith Law released his top 100 today: http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/23583441/casey-mize-tops-mlb-draft-class

He has similar concerns that I have about Nick Madrigal and Brady Singer and those are the two likeliest picks for Sox IMO. 

11. Nick Madrigal, 2B, Oregon State. Madrigal missed about 25 games with a wrist injury but has performed when he has played, hitting .435/.496/.620 in 123 PA, with just four strikeouts this spring. He's an above-average runner whose arm and footwork limit him to second base, and at 5-foot-8, 165 pounds, he doesn't have or project to even fringy power. However, he has consistently been among the best hitters in college baseball since arriving at OSU and is one of the highest-probability big leaguers in the draft class.

21. Brady Singer, RHP, Florida. Singer has been famous since high school, when the Blue Jays took him in the comp round, but the two sides couldn't come to an agreement, so he matriculated at Florida and was an impact freshman in a swing role. Singer has performed well as a full-time starter the past two years, taking over Friday nights this year from Alex Faedo, though the stuff and delivery are both real negatives on his pro outlook. Singer will touch 95 but has pitched at 90-92 both times I've seen him, showing two breaking balls with a slider that's occasionally plus, but no changeup to speak of and real difficulty with left-handed batters. He has a short arm action that he repeats well but that puts stress on his shoulder, though his low 3/4 slot makes him very tough on right-handers. Some teams think he's a high-upside starter; I think it's more likely he's an impact reliever.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Keith Law released his top 100 today: http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/23583441/casey-mize-tops-mlb-draft-class

He has similar concerns that I have about Nick Madrigal and Brady Singer and those are the two likeliest picks for Sox IMO. 

11. Nick Madrigal, 2B, Oregon State. Madrigal missed about 25 games with a wrist injury but has performed when he has played, hitting .435/.496/.620 in 123 PA, with just four strikeouts this spring. He's an above-average runner whose arm and footwork limit him to second base, and at 5-foot-8, 165 pounds, he doesn't have or project to even fringy power. However, he has consistently been among the best hitters in college baseball since arriving at OSU and is one of the highest-probability big leaguers in the draft class.

21. Brady Singer, RHP, Florida. Singer has been famous since high school, when the Blue Jays took him in the comp round, but the two sides couldn't come to an agreement, so he matriculated at Florida and was an impact freshman in a swing role. Singer has performed well as a full-time starter the past two years, taking over Friday nights this year from Alex Faedo, though the stuff and delivery are both real negatives on his pro outlook. Singer will touch 95 but has pitched at 90-92 both times I've seen him, showing two breaking balls with a slider that's occasionally plus, but no changeup to speak of and real difficulty with left-handed batters. He has a short arm action that he repeats well but that puts stress on his shoulder, though his low 3/4 slot makes him very tough on right-handers. Some teams think he's a high-upside starter; I think it's more likely he's an impact reliever.

Where does he have India ranked?  I reckon above Madrigal from his chats this year.

10 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Just from the free portion of the article it looks like the top 3 are Mize, Stewart, Liberatore.

Find it hilarious Singer and Madrigal are that low yet will both go Top 5, give me either and I'm happy

24 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Find it hilarious Singer and Madrigal are that low yet will both go Top 5, give me either and I'm happy

If we did a redraft in 5 years, do you think the players will go in all of the same order?

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

If we did a redraft in 5 years, do you think the players will go in all of the same order?

The problem is every guy with a potentially big ceiling, also seems to have some significant flaws.  So while I think we will probably view this draft differently in five years, we will probably also see some pretty high busts in that top 10 range as well.

Another Detroit News article on Mize and the 1-1 pick.

Tigers draft watch: Nobody pushing aside Mize at No. 1

The Tigers have been breaking down every facet of every player considered for that pick at 1-1, as it’s known. Medically, psychologically, bio-mechanically — you wonder if in 2018 baseball’s due diligence exceeds any vetting done on national-ticket political candidates.

It’s that thorough.

The Tigers have wanted a hitter. Oh, they have wanted a hitter for a farm system, and eventually, for a big-league club that must uncover bats in the next few years, and preferably, months.

But there is not, from all conversations across the scouting ranks, a single clue the Tigers have found a batter whose skills can be defended with that initial pick. It’s nothing a team can afford to blow on a gamble when baseball is cruel and particularly hostile to teams that treat a 1-1 pick cavalierly, as if it were even more of a crapshoot than is notoriously true of big-league drafts.

And so, unless some alarming medicals are unearthed, or unless Mize somehow adopts a scary pitching persona these final 12 days, he should be Tigers property as soon as he and a new team that can spend as much as $8 million on his signature agree to unite.

There was noise last week from the scouting circles that the Tigers might be backing away from Mize after he appeared to have been the litter-pick since spring’s prep and college seasons began.

No one can say with certainty what might have been at work there. Medicals, or game performances, a team for whatever reason didn’t like? A bargaining ploy ahead of next month’s contract and money talks?

Something was up. But a bit more than a week before the draft it looks, from every signal, as if no one has pushed aside Mize in Detroit’s eyes.

More at the link.

Edited by DirtySox

PK
2:15
Hi. Any new top of the draft tidbits for us? Mize et all?

Eric A Longenhagen
2:17
Still just think Mize goes 1, Bart 2, Bohm 3, probably Madrigal 4 (chance Singer), Singer 5 (Madrigal if Singer 4, chance it's India), then Mets at 6 have been tougher to gauge.