2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

1 hour ago, GenericUserName said:

The MLBPipeline draft rankings have been updated and expanded to 200

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft

A lot to like in this draft. Sox are going to have a ton of options in rounds 2 and 3 to add some nice depth to the system. Some names I like at both spots:

2nd Round

Anthony Siegler

Lenny Torres Jr.

Blaine Knight

Greyson Jenista

Griffin Roberts

Matt McClain

Slade Cecconi

3rd Round

Kyle Isbel

Durbin Feltman

Daniel Lynch

Nick Decker

I'm skeptical most of those 3rd RD names even make it to them though. Seen Daniel Lynch mocked as high as mid first round lately.

Edited by Dunt

4 minutes ago, Dunt said:

A lot to like in this draft. Sox are going to have a ton of options in rounds 2 and 3 to add some nice depth to the system. Some names I like at both spots:

2nd Round

Anthony Siegler

Lenny Torres Jr.

Blaine Knight

Greyson Jenista

Griffin Roberts

Matt McClain

Slade Cecconi

3rd Round

Kyle Isbel

Durbin Feltman

Daniel Lynch

Nick Decker

I'm skeptical most of those 3rd RD names even make it to them though. Seen Daniel Lynch mocked as high as mid first round lately.

I would love Seigler.  I'm not sure he makes it to 46 though.  It's a really deep draft class. I'm envious of Tampa and KC having so many early picks. They could clean up big time.

Just now, DirtySox said:

I would love Seigler.  I'm not sure he makes it to 46 though.  It's a really deep draft class. I'm envious of Tampa and KC having so many early picks. They could clean up big time.

He's had a lot of good pub over the last few weeks, I'm not sure he makes it to 46. That said, he would probably be my priority if he is there.

Yeah and it's interesting seeing names like Alek Thomas consistently ranked as a 45-50 prospect but MOCKED consistently first round. So it's hard to know which will be the comp guys vs who may actually be around.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Reading all of the top 100 lists, mostly pumped because it feels like we are going to get a really good player in round 2. 

If Greyson Jenista is still available there, that's the guy I want. Massive dude with supposedly plus bat control. Hasn't hit nearly as many homers as you would think he should given his size and tools, but...

that's EXACTLY

what they said about Aaron Judge.

Just sayin

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

If Greyson Jenista is still available there, that's the guy I want. Massive dude with supposedly plus bat control. Hasn't hit nearly as many homers as you would think he should given his size and tools, but...

that's EXACTLY

Just sayin

Power is one thing I don't really worry about with draft prospects anymore, unless it's someone who's a big time home run hitter or a speedy finesse guy. With the juiced ball, you have guys like Ozzie Albies- who were never power hitters- leading the league in home runs 

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Power is one thing I don't really worry about with draft prospects anymore, unless it's someone who's a big time home run hitter or a speedy finesse guy. With the juiced ball, you have guys like Ozzie Albies- who were never power hitters- leading the league in home runs 

Right and guys just maturing and getting stronger in their early/mid 20s.

17 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

that's EXACTLY

Just sayin

I've always been intrigued by Jenistsa.  I believe Kiley has commented on multiple occasions that his swing needs to be reworked once drafted though.

19 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

But plus bat control! That's what Ozzie Albies has too! Imagine if Albies was 6'5" 250!

I guess what I'm saying is I can't think of any good reason that Jenista won't average between 75-90 homers per year in his prime if healthy.

7 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

But plus bat control! That's what Ozzie Albies has too! Imagine if Albies was 6'5" 250!

I guess what I'm saying is I can't think of any good reason that Jenista won't average between 75-90 homers per year in his prime if healthy.

Not green enough.

• Like 1

Seth Beer has been on fire, to close out the season with very good stats. I doubt that he makes it to our second round pick, but if he does, there is potentially that left handed power bat, which I covet.

15 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Seth Beer has been on fire, to close out the season with very good stats. I doubt that he makes it to our second round pick, but if he does, there is potentially that left handed power bat, which I covet.

Join me, Lillian.

Join me on the Greyson Jenista bandwagon. Isn't as polished a hitter as Beer today, but better body, more projection, and can play defense.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/4/26/17281604/2018-mlb-draft-greyson-jenista-of-1b-wichita-state

Edited by Eminor3rd

7 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Join me, Lillian. Join me on the Greyson Jenista bandwagon. Isn't as polished a hitter as Beer today, but better body, more projection, and can play defense.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/4/26/17281604/2018-mlb-draft-greyson-jenista-of-1b-wichita-state

Can I jump on that bandwagon too? A left handed OF with an arm sounds really good to me.

Butts
12:59
Curious on your take on Griffin Roberts. Starter? Heard his change looked pretty okay yesterday.

Keith Law
12:59
His change was there in March too. It's the delivery. There isn't a starter in the majors who looks like that.

10 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Join me, Lillian.

Join me on the Greyson Jenista bandwagon. Isn't as polished a hitter as Beer today, but better body, more projection, and can play defense.

Jenista looks like an intriguing prospect, but comparing his hitting prowess with Beer, he doesn't have the same track record. I'm wondering how Wichita's competition compares with Clemson's. 

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I've always been intrigued by Jenistsa.  I believe Kiley has commented on multiple occasions that his swing needs to be reworked once drafted though.

Went back and read some of the chats.  Kiley's concern is in the loft of the swing. That's less concerning.

Just now, DirtySox said:

1. Tigers: Casey Mize, RHP, Auburn

Mize's last two regular-season starts were his worst of the year, but his combination of stuff and precision is still unparalleled in this Draft. Georgia Tech catcher Joey Bart appears to be Plan B, and Detroit also is keeping tabs on Wichita State third baseman Alec Bohm, Wisconsin high school outfielder Jarred Kelenic and Florida right-hander Brady Singer.