2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

He has Singer over Madrigal.  That would really not be the guy I would like to see them go with.  I guess at that point you'd have to trust the Sox ability to ID pitching.

If there's one thing I trust about the Sox, it's that. I wouldn't mind it. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

He has Singer over Madrigal.  That would really not be the guy I would like to see them go with.  I guess at that point you'd have to trust the Sox ability to ID pitching.

Yea. I'm still pretty meh on Singer. I can be talked into it, it's just a boring, safe pick.

I do like the way Singer locates his pitches and the way the movement of his fastball and slider play off one another (unless you can read the spin, it's hard to tell watching him which way the ball is going to break). That said, I think any of the 3 college bats or Mize will be more valuable players long term. What will make things really interesting is if the Tigers go Kelenic at 1-1. That would be the best scenario for the Sox, as two of Mize, Bart, Bohm, and Madrigal would make it to 4. I want Madrigal, but would not be disappointed with any of the other 3. I would be slightly disappointed with Singer, but hopeful that the Sox pitching development team could develop him beyond the projections given in scouting circles of a mid rotation fast riser. Ranking the players I'd want at 1-4 right now:

Mize

Madrigal/Bohm

Bart

Singer

Anyone else

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Join me, Lillian.

Join me on the Greyson Jenista bandwagon. Isn't as polished a hitter as Beer today, but better body, more projection, and can play defense.

https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/4/26/17281604/2018-mlb-draft-greyson-jenista-of-1b-wichita-state

I'd be happy with him at 46. Would also be happy with Anthony Siegler or Griffin Roberts there.

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

and it's why the Sox are....well....the Sox.  What has IDing pitching gotten them to this point?  To pass on an almost sure fire potent MLB bat for a ? pitcher....it screams mediocrity to me.  You take the bat IMO.   The Sox have gotten lucky having Sale fall in there lap...as well as Hansen.  I wouldn't say they've done a stellar job "IDing" pitching...especially when you have Carson Fulmer on your recent resume.   Please take the bat....

1 hour ago, Lillian said:

Seth Beer has been on fire, to close out the season with very good stats. I doubt that he makes it to our second round pick, but if he does, there is potentially that left handed power bat, which I covet.

yeah...Beer has looked outstanding lately and highly doubt he even makes it the 2nd round.

2 minutes ago, Wanne said:

and it's why the Sox are....well....the Sox.  What has IDing pitching gotten them to this point?  To pass on an almost sure fire potent MLB bat for a ? pitcher....it screams mediocrity to me.  You take the bat IMO.   The Sox have gotten lucky having Sale fall in there lap...as well as Hansen.  I wouldn't say they've done a stellar job "IDing" pitching...especially when you have Carson Fulmer on your recent resume.   Please take the bat....

lol, so what hitters have they taken that gives you faith that they would do that right?

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

lol, so what hitters have they taken that gives you faith that they would do that right?

hahaa...touche'.    I just don't think you pass on a bat like Madrigal...

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Trust me, I would much rather them take Madrigal, but I also have more faith the Sox are able to develop a pitcher versus a hitter.

oh I hear ya...but the Sox have traditionally always been picking the the middle rounds for how long?  Last year a tad higher.  Rarely have they gotten to pick this high sans the Rodon pick.  Next year we'll be up at the top also.  I just don't think any of these pitchers screams TOR guys...whereas Madrigal's bat really doesn't need "developing".  I just feel he's as sure a real thing as anybody in this draft.   When you pick this high it should be more about talent that helps sooner than developing IMO.  Of course that's my meager 2¢...

What pitcher that we actually signed/drafted have we done so great with?

After Sale...there’s Hansen?  Gio Gonzalez?  It always seems we do better acquiring or claiming pitching from outside the organization.

Can’t even declare a Rodon a total success story yet, either.

I keep vacillating on Madrigal v. Singer now. If Mize were somehow available, he is the no-brainer pick for me. But I do have doubts that Madrigal will be able to hit for anything more than 10-15 HRs, which definitely limits his offensive upside no matter how good his approach is at the plate. I just looked at Singer's numbers this year: 2.25 ERA, 88 innings, 59 hits, 18 BBs, 92 Ks, good for a 0.88 WHIP and 5.11 K-to-BB ratio. All of his numbers have improved since his sophomore year after which he was anointed the top pitcher in college baseball for 2018. I would love for him to be picked by the Sox.

43 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

I do like the way Singer locates his pitches and the way the movement of his fastball and slider play off one another (unless you can read the spin, it's hard to tell watching him which way the ball is going to break). That said, I think any of the 3 college bats or Mize will be more valuable players long term. What will make things really interesting is if the Tigers go Kelenic at 1-1. That would be the best scenario for the Sox, as two of Mize, Bart, Bohm, and Madrigal would make it to 4. I want Madrigal, but would not be disappointed with any of the other 3. I would be slightly disappointed with Singer, but hopeful that the Sox pitching development team could develop him beyond the projections given in scouting circles of a mid rotation fast riser. Ranking the players I'd want at 1-4 right now:

Mize

Madrigal/Bohm

Bart

Singer

Anyone else

That’s my exact view as well

1 minute ago, maggsmaggs said:

I keep vacillating on Madrigal v. Singer now. If Mize were somehow available, he is the no-brainer pick for me. But I do have doubts that Madrigal will be able to hit for anything more than 10-15 HRs, which definitely limits his offensive upside no matter how good his approach is at the plate. I just looked at Singer's numbers this year: 2.25 ERA, 88 innings, 59 hits, 18 BBs, 92 Ks, good for a 0.88 WHIP and 5.11 K-to-BB ratio. All of his numbers have improved since his sophomore year after which he was anointed the top pitcher in college baseball for 2018. I would love for him to be picked by the Sox.

I think the best I've seen his stuff is the first YouTube result you get when you search his name.  Believe it's him pitching against Lousville last season.  Some nasty movement on, well, everything.  I haven't seen enough of that this season to be enamored yet.  Either way, I'll sure to tune in to what will likely be his last start before the draft next week.

16 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I think the best I've seen his stuff is the first YouTube result you get when you search his name.  Believe it's him pitching against Lousville last season.  Some nasty movement on, well, everything.  I haven't seen enough of that this season to be enamored yet.  Either way, I'll sure to tune in to what will likely be his last start before the draft next week.

19 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

That's interesting. He appears to be throwing a curveball there, and doesn't seem to have a slider, but in the video below (and other videos I've seen of him in 2018), he clearly throws a slider. Did he ditch the curve in favor of a slider? Does he have the ability to throw both? Here's the video I'm talking about:

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

That's interesting. He appears to be throwing a curveball there, and doesn't seem to have a slider, but in the video below (and other videos I've seen of him in 2018), he clearly throws a slider. Did he ditch the curve in favor of a slider? Does he have the ability to throw both? Here's the video I'm talking about:

I'm pretty sure what you are referring to as a curveball is his slider.

Just now, DirtySox said:

I'm pretty sure what you are referring to as a curveball is his slider.

There's too much vertical break on that pitch and not enough horizontal break. Watch the two videos, the breaking pitches look completely different.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

I think this tweet says it well. SP is a bigger need for the Sox than infielders. But you don't draft for need at #4, and my gut tells me Bohm and Madigral are BPA over Singer.