2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

1 hour ago, maggsmaggs said:

I keep vacillating on Madrigal v. Singer now. If Mize were somehow available, he is the no-brainer pick for me. But I do have doubts that Madrigal will be able to hit for anything more than 10-15 HRs, which definitely limits his offensive upside no matter how good his approach is at the plate. I just looked at Singer's numbers this year: 2.25 ERA, 88 innings, 59 hits, 18 BBs, 92 Ks, good for a 0.88 WHIP and 5.11 K-to-BB ratio. All of his numbers have improved since his sophomore year after which he was anointed the top pitcher in college baseball for 2018. I would love for him to be picked by the Sox.

Pedroia rarely hit a ton of homers, played good D, and loaded up on doubles. I really don’t care if Madrigal is a power hitter if he’s a good hitter and good fielder.

27 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

There's too much vertical break on that pitch and not enough horizontal break. Watch the two videos, the breaking pitches look completely different.

Not sure. I've never seen anything on Singer throwing what is called a curveball.  Despite it sometimes looking like one, every single breaking pitch I've seen him throw has been called or referred to as a slider. Shrug.  Semantics?

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I've never seen anything on Singer throwing a Curveball.  Despite it sometimes looking like one, every single breaking pitch I've seen him throw has been called or referred to as a slider.  Shrug.

I can understand the confusion. Peavy's slider always looked like a curve ball to me lol.

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

I think this tweet says it well. SP is a bigger need for the Sox than infielders. But you don't draft for need at #4, and my gut tells me Bohm and Madigral are BPA over Singer.

Crappy teams always draft for NEED...good ones draft BPA regardless of sport.  I'm tired of that.  None of these guys (top pitchers ) will help in the next few years anyway IMO. Like sf49 said...Madrigal may not hit a ton of HRs...but if he hits at a .320 clip...who cares.  My BIGGEST concern with Madrigal is he projects at a position we already have a perennial all star at.  That's the only issue.  If somehow both Brohm and Madrigal are there...I have a feeling it might be Bohm.  But again...Madrigal is the best pure hitter I've seen in quite some time. Do you pass on that?

How is SP such a glaring need? Lopez is a lock for the future and have Kopech, Hansen, Cease down on the farm, maybe Giolito pans out or even Fulmer...forgetting Dunning as well

Oh, and they're all righties

Rodon too

I agree that you draft BPA at 4 and I'd actually like Singer but Madrigal first

1 hour ago, BlackSox13 said:

I can understand the confusion. Peavy's slider always looked like a curve ball to me lol.

Kind of reminiscent of Peavy in that video actually. Not sure if that's why you brought him up.

18 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Kind of reminiscent of Peavy in that video actually. Not sure if that's why you brought him up.

I was the bling their sliders both look like curve balls to me but now that you mention it Singer's delivery is reminiscent of Peavy's.

14 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

I was the bling their sliders both look like curve balls to me but now that you mention it Singer's delivery is reminiscent of Peavy's.

The arm slots aren't that different.  That might also be why the sliders have so much vertical movement.

They jury is still out on Collins at C and Jake at 3rd. Thinking Bohm can play 3rd would also be against consensus opinion. That could be a lot of 1st basemen there, not to mention Eloy who could land there. Sure, BPA, but that could be quite a logjam for the Sox. 

2 minutes ago, Baker said:

They jury is still out on Collins at C and Jake at 3rd. Thinking Bohm can play 3rd would also be against consensus opinion. That could be a lot of 1st basemen there, not to mention Eloy who could land there. Sure, BPA, but that could be quite a logjam for the Sox. 

That's a problem that would sort itself out. If Bohm is there, you take him unless Mize or Madrigal is there. The FG guys seem to think he can stick at 3B, and they seem like the most knowledgeable and well informed of the places that provide information to the public to me.

9 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Yea. I'm still pretty meh on Singer. I can be talked into it, it's just a boring, safe pick.

He has really good movement on all his pitches. I can't see him busting unless he gets injured or has issues with locating pitches.

Edited by soxforlife05

12 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

Power is one thing I don't really worry about with draft prospects anymore, unless it's someone who's a big time home run hitter or a speedy finesse guy. With the juiced ball, you have guys like Ozzie Albies- who were never power hitters- leading the league in home runs 

The ball is not the only thing juiced my man

White Sox Scouting Report Nick Madrigal

https://theloopsports.com/2018/05/21/white-sox-scouting-report-nick-madrigal/

Madrigal’s hitch causes him to miss a hittable pitch here. The Sox are not afraid of hitters with hitches in their swing as evidenced by the selection of Zack Collins (or the “arm bar” of Jake Burger, my edit) a year ago, but it is still something to be wary of. Obviously with a 65 hit tool in his pocket, the bat is his biggest strength. And his numbers show that he can be a successful hitter. The key with Madrigal will be line drives and balls through the infield, never power. If Madrigal can eliminate the hitch in his swing, or at least do something to lessen it, he should be a very good hitter.

Another aspect of Madrgial’s hit tool which scouts love, is his eye and plate approach. He managed to walk significantly more than he struck out in college, and that is something that will translate to the professional level. All things considered, Madrigal’s hit tool is definitely something to be excited about.

16 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

How is SP such a glaring need? Lopez is a lock for the future and have Kopech, Hansen, Cease down on the farm, maybe Giolito pans out or even Fulmer...forgetting Dunning as well

High flame-out rate;  injury rate; contending White Sox teams have historically been at least a starter short.  Giolito was a top 10 guy once, Fulmer top 100 and #8 pick.
But it's tough to draft a prep arm that high; Mize will be gone and please not Singer.
That said, I'd always draft best player  available and this draft is no exception, unless they can really do a "underslot" and then "overslot" a prep player.

Edited by GreenSox

5 hours ago, GreenSox said:

High flame-out rate;  injury rate; contending White Sox teams have historically been at least a starter short.  Giolito was a top 10 guy once, Fulmer top 100 and #8 pick.
But it's tough to draft a prep arm that high; Mize will be gone and please not Singer.
That said, I'd always draft best player  available and this draft is no exception, unless they can really do a "underslot" and then "overslot" a prep player.

And the BPA is/will be.....

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Madrigal on espnu at 4

Playing UCLA, which has a decent amount of 2019 draft prospects in Strumpf, Kriedler, Toglia, and Garcia who is pitching today.

Oregon State also has Adley Rutschman who we should be paying attention to as well.  Could very well be a top of the 1st round guy in the '19 draft.

Edited by DirtySox

7 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Madrigal really struggling vs UCLA...pitcher walks the guy before him on 4 straight balls including a wild pitch and Madrigal comes up and flies out weakly on the 1st pitch he sees 

Also of note is he didn't appear very fast on his grounder to SS earlier