2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Listening to Hostetler yesterday on 670, I really think it's going to be Singer.

Time for my weekly talk myself into Singer exercise.  Tons of movement on the fastball. The slider can be filthy. Knows how to pitch. Doesn't walk anyone. Is going to move fast. Could conceivably be pitching in a major league rotation next season at the earliest. Also, if most of the pitching prospects work out (Kopech, Cease, Hansen), you are going to have some very nice depth. Or the ability to flip some of these guys to address other areas of need on the diamond.

Okay I feel better now.

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Time for my weekly talk myself into Singer exercise.  Tons of movement on the fastball. The slider can be filthy. Knows how to pitch. Doesn't walk anyone. Is going to move fast. Could conceivably be pitching in a major league rotation next season at the earliest. Also, if most of the pitching prospects work out (Kopech, Cease, Hansen), you are going to have some very nice depth. Or the ability to flip some of these guys to address other areas of need on the diamond.

Okay I feel better now.

Only problem is the biggest thing Nick talked about was how competitive Singer is. Might as well copy and paste the comments from when Fulmer was picked.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Only problem is the biggest thing Nick talked about was how competitive Singer is. Might as well copy and paste the comments from when Fulmer was picked.

I'm not worried about that. Could always spin that into a positive as well. Aside from the competitiveness piece that's where any comparison to Fulmer ends with me. They are very different pitchers. Carson was always an effectively wild pitcher. Averaged about 4 BB/9 in college. Singer is down to 1.84 BB/9 this year. Myself and a few others have brought it up, and even Callis/Mayo have used it, but he's so much like Aaron Nola. I wouldn't mind one of those in my major league rotation.

Edited by DirtySox

1 minute ago, GenericUserName said:

Well since everyone is hating on Madrigal's swing mechanics, why don't we check out how bad Singer's throwing motion is too.

Haha.  Who else are we missing to nitpick? We need to find some random article or youtube video on why Jarred Kelenic would be a bad choice next.

You just never know. That's what I dont like about college pitchers from top programs in top 5, they are way oversold as "safe" picks. "They could pitch right now!".

AJ Puk is injured but looked like he was about to become dynamite. He was effectively wild if i remember, pretty high walk rates. 

Nola was safe but unspectacular, and is the best pitcher from that pitching heavy 2014 draft. You hope Singer is Nola. But the "they just know how to pitch and compete" stuff may mean they get to the majors, but not a big sign they will be good.

The way I look at it, at #4 we should get either the best college hitter, or pitcher, or the best high school hitter, or pitcher. If the Sox are stuck on taking a college player, we  should at least get the best, or second best, college hitter, or pitcher. Duh. Now, the trick is finding him, as there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus. The only college pitcher, at the top of most lists, is Mize. The next 3 potential picks seem to be leaning toward Bart, Bohm, Madrigal, or Singer. Some suggest that Madrigal is the best college hitting prospect. I think the problem is that he would need to be a .300 plus hitter, with tons of walks and stolen bases to be a Major League star. That is a tall order, for any player. Guys like Bart and Bohm, or even my favorite, India could become significant contributors, by being run producers. In this age of baseball, that is easier to do. And finally, just to reiterate, I'm still convinced that Madrigal has to stay at second base, to be a plus defender. Since Moncada will likely be there for the next 5 years, Madrigal would likely be 27, by the time he would get his chance on the Sox.

I like India because his bat is solid, with power and the ability to take walks. Moreover, he profiles well at either 3RD, SS or 2ND. That makes him not only a better bet to be able to contribute to the contending young Sox team, but a better trade candidate. No one is likely to give up much for Madrigal, unless they need a second baseman. 

If Singer is really the second best college pitcher, in this draft, I'd be very happy with him, at #4. However, how confident are we that he is indeed the second best college pitcher? Again, not much of a consensus, on any of these guys, which mitigates the value of the conventional wisdom, of taking the "best player available". "Best player," says who?

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lillian said:

The way I look at it, at #4 we should get either the best college hitter, or pitcher, or the best high school hitter, or pitcher. If the Sox are stuck on taking a college player, we  should at least get the best, or second best, college hitter, or pitcher. Duh. Now, the trick is finding him, as there doesn't seem to be much of a consensus. The only college pitcher, at the top of most lists, is Mize. The next 3 potential picks seem to be leaning toward Bart, Bohm, Madrigal, or Singer. Some suggest that Madrigal is the best college hitting prospect. I think the problem is that he would need to be a .300 plus hitter, with tons of walks and stolen bases to be a Major League star. That is a tall order, for any player. Guys like Bart and Bohm, or even my favorite, India could become significant contributors, by being run producers. In this age of baseball, that is easier to do. And finally, just to reiterate, I'm still convinced that Madrigal has to stay at second base, to be a plus defender. Since Moncada will likely be there for the next 5 years, Madrigal would likely be 27, by the time he would get his chance on the Sox.

I like India because his bat is solid, with power and the ability to take walks. Moreover, he profiles well at either 3RD, SS or 2ND. That makes him not only a better bet to be able to contribute to the contending young Sox team, but a better trade candidate. No one is likely to give up much for Madrigal, unless they need a second baseman. 

If Singer is really the second best college pitcher, in this draft, I'd be very happy with him, at #4. However, how confident are we that he is indeed the second best college pitcher? Again, not much of a consensus, on any of these guys, which mitigates the value of the conventional wisdom, of taking the "best player available". "Best player," says who?

You have to believe your own scouts. They look at all of the sources you do but they need to believe in their own. This is the player they should pick.

Jim Callis put out tweets the other day saying the Sox should be looking for pitching at #4.  Take that for what it’s worth. But if Mize and Singer are both gone, and they are cool on Madrigal,  Liberatore could go. Parsing Hostetler’s remarks today, “ It wouldn’t shock me to see a high-schooler go top 5”, leaves a crack open for Liberatore or possibly Kelenic. 

6 minutes ago, Baker said:

Jim Callis put out tweets the other day saying the Sox should be looking for pitching at #4.  Take that for what it’s worth. But if Mize and Singer are both gone, and they are cool on Madrigal,  Liberatore could go. Parsing Hostetler’s remarks today, “ It wouldn’t shock me to see a high-schooler go top 5”, leaves a crack open for Liberatore or possibly Kelenic. 

It's Kelenic he meant, I'm pretty sure.  FWIW, I don't believe Sox heavily scouted Liberatore.

I heard the Hostetler interview too, and came away with the same- wouldn’t be surprised at all if the Sox got stuck on Kelenic a year ago, and are going with him if Madrigal is off the board- and maybe even if he isn’t. 

Definitely hoping for a bat first, then worry about pitching rounds 2-5.

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

that's what the Sox look for - fast movers and good in the pristine clubhouse, both of which should be ancillary, if that.

I do not disagree. But Mize and Singer certainly will be fast movers if their parent clubs want them to be.

2 hours ago, Baker said:

Parsing Hostetler’s remarks today, “ It wouldn’t shock me to see a high-schooler go top 5”, leaves a crack open for Liberatore or possibly Kelenic. 

I'd be very cool with that. :)

5 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I do not disagree. But Mize and Singer certainly will be fast movers if their parent clubs want them to be.

Fast moving is fine; I don't think it's a reason to draft them, esp for this org that has struggled for so long with the draft..  Mize would be great, assuming his health checks out.
Singer has that goofy delivery - not for a top 5. 
Always get best player available, which probably means Go prep.

43 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Fast moving is fine; I don't think it's a reason to draft them, esp for this org that has struggled for so long with the draft..  Mize would be great, assuming his health checks out.

Madrigal and Singer are very much arguable as the BPAs where the Sox are picking. Not sure where you are getting the sentiment that the top of the draft is prep heavy other than maybe Liberatore.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

If you are truly concerned about Singers motion. Its an easy fix. All he really does is drag his arm behind his trunk. 

• Like 1

Chicago White Sox have their eye on OSU's Madrigal

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20180526/chicago-white-sox-have-their-eye-on-osus-madrigal

Sox amateur scouting director Nick Hostetler is very familiar with the 21-year-old All-American, and general manager Rick Hahn traveled to Los Angeles last weekend to watch Madrigal and Oregon State play Southern California.

There is no doubt the White Sox can envision Madrigal's bat in the lineup as soon as next season, but what about his position?

Madrigal is playing second base for the Beavers this year, but has also played shortstop.

Yoan Moncada is entrenched as the Sox's starter at second base while Tim Anderson is still trying to prove he can be the everyday shortstop.

Could Madrigal play short in the major leagues?

"We're at a point right now, due to the fact that he's played second base all year, we have to go back and look through our notes and back to what we saw in high school, what we saw with Team USA, what we saw prior to him getting moved over to second base at Oregon State," Hostetler said.

Cadyn Grenier is the main reason Madrigal is playing second base for the Beavers this season.

"(Grenier) is a terrific defensive shortstop," Hostetler said.

If Madrigal is available at No. 4 and the Sox pick the Elk Grove, Calif., product, expect immediate questions about his defensive position in professional baseball.

The White Sox are used to the scrutiny. When they drafted Zack Collins No. 10 overall in 2016, skeptics said he'd never cut it as a catcher.

There were similar sentiments last year, when the Sox drafted Jake Burger with the No. 11 overall pick. The third baseman tore his Achilles tendon for the second time in early May and is expected to be out 12 months.

The White Sox seem open to having Madrigal play shortstop.

"It's going to be something that is part of the evaluation," Hostetler said. "I think you're going to have some guys that feel he can play shortstop and there are going to be some guys that feel he can't.

"It's all splitting hairs. Whether it's Nick or any other player we take, we're going to try to put them in the best position to help maximize their value. I think Nick's a guy … ultimately some teams that do pick Nick will probably put him at shortstop."

White Sox director of amateur scouting Nick Hostetler already knows who he wants to select with the team's top pick at No. 4 when the 2018 MLB Draft begins on June 4.

"Yeah, I do," said Hostetler, who is now stationed in Chicago leading up to the Draft. "I have a pretty good feel on who I would like to take. I have a pretty good feel on everybody as a whole. All of our staff, [general manager] Rick [Hahn], [executive vice president] Kenny [Williams], [assistant general manager] Jeremy [Haber], [director of player development Chris Getz], guys who have seen players.

"I feel pretty good about where we are at with it. The way I look at this is our order, what our order is. It's only four picks. So I have a pretty good feel of what our order is going to be barring anything crazy happening in the next 10 days. I'm pretty confident."

"Pitcher or hitter is irrelevant at this point. Position is irrelevant at this point," Hostetler said. "Doesn't matter if we have it in the big leagues. Doesn't matter if we have a wealth in the Minors. Doesn't matter if we just drafted it. We are going to take the best guy regardless of position."

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/white-sox-pick-fourth-overall-in-2018-draft/c-278524954

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

White Sox director of amateur scouting Nick Hostetler already knows who he wants to select with the team's top pick at No. 4 when the 2018 MLB Draft begins on June 4.

"Yeah, I do," said Hostetler, who is now stationed in Chicago leading up to the Draft. "I have a pretty good feel on who I would like to take. I have a pretty good feel on everybody as a whole. All of our staff, [general manager] Rick [Hahn], [executive vice president] Kenny [Williams], [assistant general manager] Jeremy [Haber], [director of player development Chris Getz], guys who have seen players.

"I feel pretty good about where we are at with it. The way I look at this is our order, what our order is. It's only four picks. So I have a pretty good feel of what our order is going to be barring anything crazy happening in the next 10 days. I'm pretty confident."

"Pitcher or hitter is irrelevant at this point. Position is irrelevant at this point," Hostetler said. "Doesn't matter if we have it in the big leagues. Doesn't matter if we have a wealth in the Minors. Doesn't matter if we just drafted it. We are going to take the best guy regardless of position."

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/white-sox-pick-fourth-overall-in-2018-draft/c-278524954

He said regardless of position! That means its a position player, right ?! And the first thing he says is it doesn't matter if we have it in the big leagues, so the first person he thought of was Madrigal! White Sox are drafting Nick Madrigal confirmed!